It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freakishly large goldfish found in Lake Tahoe; Researchers worry about impact on native species

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
That is one big goldfish.

I will name him Larry.

A gigantic goldfish has been found in Lake Tahoe, according to LiveScience. Deep down in the depths of Lake Tahoe, researchers trawling the freshwater lake discovered a goldfish that was approximately 1.5 feet long and 4.2 pounds. The discovery has biologists in the area concerned about the goldfish population’s impact on native species of plants and animals in the lake.

This definitely can't be good news for the native species in the lake. Reminds me of the Burmese Python problem taking over the Florida Everglades. Leave it to humans to screw up the natural order of things.

Freakishly large goldfish found in Lake Tahoe; Researchers worry about impact on native species
livescience.com

PSA: Don't flush your goldfish, just swallow them... You'll be fine... I assure you.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Goldfish are basically just carp anyway. Can't see how they can affect the ecosystem anway?
Most carp species in america where brought over by early settlers and planted here. Not really a problem as I see it.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by proob4

The people that are in charge of Lake Tahoe seem to be concerned about the effect the goldfish will have on the water clarity.

Apparently it's a big deal to the tourist trade.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
They are not really "freakishly" large. Goldfish will continue to grow as long as they have food and room. Both are abundant in Lake Tahoe.
My little Black Moor, Buddy, grew to 5 inches, and Burpy grew bigger than that. They were the only two fish in a 50 gallon aquarium. The only other living thing was my snail, Larry. Larry grew to be about 2 inches in diameter.
Why it would wreck the ecosystem is the amazing amount of poop goldfish create. They are very dirty fish.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
So that's what happened to Otto! That dumb kid should have followed Mr. Carp's advice...

So much and no more!
Never more than a spot,
or something may happen!
You never know what.

With apologies to Dr. Seuss.

edit on 2/24/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Holy bajeezus, that is one giant goldfish. I wonder if they will be in the next bass masters classic?

That's pretty crazy, I've never seen a goldfish that big before, he definitely looks out of place there.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Carp are a threat to ecosystems where they are not native. Chinese carp are wreaking havoc in the Mississippi river system now. They eat the eggs of native species, eat vegetation that native species use for food, cover and reproduction and they are very prolific.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
That goldish ain't doing no more damage to Lake Tahoe than all the dead chinese laborer who came to America centuries ago and built the railroas/roads and were mass killed off so they wouldn't have to be paid.

There's probably tens of thousands of dead indians down there too from the days the Army cleansed the land.

....and then all the mafia bodies down there...Lake Tahoe's just a dead body bottomless pit. Perfect environment for carp like fish.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Carp are strong fish. They can survive frozen lakes or tropical regions.

Kill 'em all.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by stars15k

You get a
for naming your snail Larry.

I name everything Larry.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Sounds like a good thread idea.

You should make one about all the bodies down there.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
reply to post by proob4

The people that are in charge of Lake Tahoe seem to be concerned about the effect the goldfish will have on the water clarity.

Apparently it's a big deal to the tourist trade.
I guess you got a point there. Carp are messy but fun fishing. I wonder how a big goldfish fights?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

I don't know.

But there's only one way to find out.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by stars15k

You got that right. Took two home from work because nobody else wanted to maintain the tank(there were four). Dirty fish and seem to be immortal. S&F to the op.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by JMech

You're right.
I usually get goldfish when I go to the fair. And those bastards either die over night, or they live for ever.

I had one that ate 3 Red Belly piranhas.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

The reason your thread got my attention is because I just finished cleaning my tank. Think I'm gonna name them Poop and Slime

top topics

join