It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New anti-piracy system will hit U.S. Internet users next week

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I have lost count how many times I bought software or products got home and it was complete GARBAGE! Software that is broken right out of the box. So you take it back and what do you hear? Oh so sorry we can't refund your money because you opened the box, because of the possibility that I could of just copied it and taken it back. Which none of that was the case. Many commercials ads pump it up to make it look like their product is so wonderful and when you buy it it's f***in garbage or some cheap knock off from China! Oh but you won't see SOPA or PIPA anywhere to protect your rights as a consumer! They take the money and run with it and you get stiffed out money for a cheesy product.
edit on 2-3-2013 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by thebtheb

For a bunch of old outdated B rated films? No thanks!

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Comcast revealed today how it will deal with customers who receive multiple warnings under the newly launched “six-strikes” anti-piracy system. After four alerts the ISP will “hijack” web-browsers of suspected serial pirates with a persistent pop-up notification, making it impossible to browse the Internet. The pop-up will disappear after the customer “resolves the issue” with a Customer Security Assurance professional.

Source

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by XL5

That's a whole different scenario. Everybody would have everything they ever desired...profit would mean nothing. People would create for the sake of creating without having to worry about starving...but someone would "copy" a nuclear bomb

XL5

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Dunno what reason anyone would have to make an atomic bomb but even so, we could just prevent the device from making plutonium. In my opinion a device like that would be made illegal or at the very least would piss many rich folk off.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by XL5

How would you prevent a device from creating plutonium in this instance? Sony thought they could prevent BluRay encryption from being cracked, and we all know how that panned out for them don't we. You think you are smart, but there is always someone smarter. I can churn out BluRay discs all day long. Once its in the public domain, that's it. Game over.

edit on 3-3-2013 by threewisemonkeys because: (no reason given)

XL5

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
As long as it doesn't connect to a computer in any way, is made out of diamond and is guard (not really open access for the public), then it would be alot "safer". Then if some one does open it, the device self destructs in a safe manner in a way that doesn't allow reverse engineering. I'm sure it could be done though, but wouldn't it be worth the risk. Then again, the device can turn matter into energy, nukes would be pointless.

If we were to become gods of technology, I'm sure there would be demons. If you were to show some one a few hundred years ago what kind of weapons we could make I'm sure they would fear it too and maybe say its not worth it.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by sean

See, you avoided the question, but I knew you would. I've had this discussion a few times and it's predictable...on both sides.

Now I reply something like: "I've returned a few software packs for a full refund, no problem. Besides what ever happened to 'buyer beware' and doing your research before you purchase? Goods for sale have be promising things they don't deliver since before snake oil! Be a responsible consumer, a fool and his money is soon parted."

Then you reply something like: "The corporations take all of the money anyway. The artist always gets the shaft so now we can stick it to the man!"

And I: "Well, why don't you go and steal from a store then? I'll tell you why - because it's not easy to dismiss or convince yourself that there's nothing wrong with it."

You: "But I'm not depriving them of anything, it's all just ones and zeros. Information should flow freely, man!"

Me: "blah, blah, blah..."

You: "counter blah, blah, blah..."

I'm going to lunch

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedParrotHead
a fool and his money is soon parted."

Yet you seem to have a downer on those who prefer not to be fools. Make your mind up. Buyer Beware / No Refunds / Sold as Seen, its the typical statement you get from a shady salesman who knows he's peddling you crap. The consumer expects a certain level of quality. It's called "fit for purpose". It's a basic consumer right. It makes no difference what the sales spiel was, if you bought something with an expectation, and it does not meet that expectation, then it is not "fit for purpose" and you should be within your right to return the item. Box opened or not.

They make up these silly "rules" in order to rip people off. But it's a matter of choice whether you want to play be their rules. Personally, they can stick em. Play fair, or stop playing the game.

edit on 5-3-2013 by threewisemonkeys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by threewisemonkeys

How does 'not being foolish with your money' and 'stealing' equal the same thing to you?

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pinke
Do me and everyone else a massive favor ... buy a copy of photoshop (50% of people 'have' it), buy one big movie, and one little movie every few months if you can ... then pirate away cos I know you're going to anyway. At least then they might think they're making a difference, and I might get some kind of pay off before 2015 when I'll be too old to strip and will have to resort to taxi driving.

Just an update ...

I resigned in 2015 and have a new job.

I can still strip though and don't drive a taxi so I guess I didn't get it 100%.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
This warning system has been around for a while now. All you need is a blocker installed that allows P2P connections but blocks HTML and Business connections from universities and ISPs. It seems they now have the law helping them enforce their policies but its such an easy invasion of privacy to get around. Dont trust your ISPs, dont trust anonymous connections, protect yourselves always. Educate yourselves on internet security, and always remember, NSA is watching everything.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: CaticusMaximus

Horse#. Do you get paid for doing your job?

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
delete me
edit on 3/10/2016 by bulrush because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join