It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Final Fantasy XIV: ARR Discussion Thread ~Beta is Live Ed~

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   
So yeah. This amazing game is coming out soon. And it looks so amazing from what I've seen. I haven't played a single mmorpg in 8+ years that's been able to captivate me as much as Lineage 2 did. This looks like it will.

Here's some stuff for you guys, incase you've missed it:

Closed Beta Sign-Up: (it's a bit old news, since it's been available for like two weeks now)

Official Website - Just navigate to the Beta Sign Up on the right

Official Benchmark Download:

Clicky

Most recent trailer:

Let the discussion and hype begin!

edit on 24-2-2013 by ZikhaN because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-2-2013 by ZikhaN because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

I haven't played any of the FF MMORPGs...I was brought up on the classics, with FFV still being my absolute favorite of the series.

I just started on FFXIII-2...it's not terrible like 13 was.

I can't wait for XV! I hope 14 is as exciting for you as you're expecting

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I dunno, the whole reason its called a realm reborn is because they screwed up the game so bad they shuttered it and started over.

Heres hopping its not a train wreck like the last time, I bought that game to throw it away in disgust after 3 days.

Ill stick with Guild wars 2 for now until all the reviews are in and I get some feed back from my friends about it, tired of early adopting just to get burned.

FF got me once and as the saying goes they wont fool me twice.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Trust me, this game is nothing like FFXIV 1.0. SquareEnix basically fired the whole team who made the first game, and appointed a whole new team to remake this version. Lol. While I feel bad for the first team, who obviously did their best, I'm excited for 2.0. It looks very promising so far.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZikhaN
reply to post by benrl

Trust me, this game is nothing like FFXIV 1.0. SquareEnix basically fired the whole team who made the first game, and appointed a whole new team to remake this version. Lol. While I feel bad for the first team, who obviously did their best, I'm excited for 2.0. It looks very promising so far.

Well let all the beta testers work out the kinks and wait to see the reviews after six months of release, after the disaster that the first game was, I would be very wary..... Also square has been in a big downward spiral so I don't see them bouncing back from this mmorpg......

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

I got into the beta this weekend and I would have to say this game is gonna be a lot of fun. Its a mix between ff11 guild wars and Warcraft. Its is completely different from FF14 1.0, which is why I'm excited.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Todays games look astonishing, but are they the same fun to play?

Believe it or not, but I am the rpg newcomer and currently first time playing FFVII.
Pixel-wise it looks so old, but the fun and playability is all that matters.
I don't know when I get to play the modern era FFs (if ever), but playing this game now I think I'll stick with my ps2 a little longer to check out VIII and maybe IX?

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I played FFXI for over 5 years. I obviously liked it. When they started coming out with these pointless add ons (Abyssea series) I quit and didn't go back.

I was invited to do the beta testing on FFXIV 1.0 but declined. I heard it was a huge piece of thrash back then. Interesting to hear that square enix is going to try and keep their mmorpg going. FFXI came out with a new full blown expansion pack just recently but I am not interested in going back. It's an old engine and system and they need to put it out of it's misery. It's actually shocking folks are still paying the 12.99 a month for that old game.

I'd consider going back and reactivating my account if they got modern... made it free to play with game items, game money and equipment as purchasable content (for real cash). Some games are doing that and seem to be doing pretty well...haven't tried them but some friends of mine seem to love them...they end up spending a lot of real money though!

I will be looking for info on FFXIV just for the heck of it though,

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by tmtkview
Todays games look astonishing, but are they the same fun to play?

Believe it or not, but I am the rpg newcomer and currently first time playing FFVII.
Pixel-wise it looks so old, but the fun and playability is all that matters.
I don't know when I get to play the modern era FFs (if ever), but playing this game now I think I'll stick with my ps2 a little longer to check out VIII and maybe IX?

Yeah I agree, a lot of newer games have lost in substance for what they have gained in appearance and capability. Man you should definitely play VIII and IX, they've aged even better than VII and IX is still one of the most charming rpgs I've ever played. VIII in my memory was better than VII but it's all preference really - they are all brilliant in their own ways.

The series kind of died after FF10 in my opinion but I've been meaning to build a gaming rig again recently (haven't done so for almost 10 years now
) so hopefully I'll be able to give this a try. I haven't touched an mmo since a 6 month stint on WoW but they are definitely enjoyable experiences and there's so much room for progression and creativity from the developers as well.
edit on 9-3-2013 by DazDaKing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DazDaKing
Yeah I agree, a lot of newer games have lost in substance for what they have gained in appearance and capability. Man you should definitely play VIII and IX, they've aged even better than VII and IX is still one of the most charming rpgs I've ever played. VIII in my memory was better than VII but it's all preference really - they are all brilliant in their own ways.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm definitely going to give FFVIII a try. As a matter of fact the game already awaits on my desk.

I was surprised to find out that IX was released still on PS1, is there a big step between PS1 and PS2 FFs?

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by tmtkview
Thanks for the heads up, I'm definitely going to give FFVIII a try. As a matter of fact the game already awaits on my desk.

I was surprised to find out that IX was released still on PS1, is there a big step between PS1 and PS2 FFs?

Good stuff, I've got the ROM I've been meaning to play on my PSP actually, ironically its more useful for emulating past classics than for any of its official games lol.

Yeah there's quite a significant jump. Don't get me wrong FFIX is one of the most beautiful games on PS1 and uses the pre-rendered background style perfectly but FFX has better 'graphics', voice acting, a more polished battle system, extremely improved battle effects/summons, advanced CGI, advanced mini games and some more. Though stylistically FFIX might actually be a better game lol (I have a soft spot for IX heh). FFXII is worth a play too on the PS2 but it's a completely different battle system to the past games and plays out more like Dragon Age 1. Don't worry about FFXIII on PS3/360 - it sucked, really really bad. It's like they abandoned EVERYTHING that made their RPGs beautiful games, but that's just my opinion I guess.
edit on 10-3-2013 by DazDaKing because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-3-2013 by DazDaKing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
@tmtkview FF7, 8 and 9 are great and have very different takes to the battles/summons etc. All impressive for PS1 games.

FFX seemed very linear in comparison but I totally agree with DazDaKing about the general 'look' of the game. Stunning the first time I saw it!

And to both of you, I have to say FFXII is still one of the best ever RPG's IMO. Following Fran round was particularly *ahem* enjoyable. Seriously tho, many people didn't like the Gambit system but I thought it was genius.

Back on topic, when I read that XIV:ARR was coming to PS3 I was muchos on board... until I heard it was subscription. That pretty much killed it for me. I know PS3 hasn't had a proper MMO but there's plenty more to gaming than RPG's and as someone who's only recently got broadband, I'm still enjoying NFS and Dust so I'll keep waiting for the first free to play RPG and when I'm feeling 'sword-y', there's always Skyrim

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
FFXIV ARR.

I was in Alpha Test and now im in Beta Test(im a legacy member
). Previous to that i did Alpha/Beta for FFXIV 1.0. It sucked, this however, seems fun, but need to wait for the fun contents before i can say anything.

Synaptic Xtreme - Adamantoise Server.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
This weeks Beta test Starting tonight!

It sucks they only let you play on weekends, but i guess its fine, keeps me expecting!

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I finally got into the beta yay! I missed last weekend though cuz I was snowboarding, but I'm playing starting tomrorow =D

Anyone else in, who would like to party up ? I've started a group of new beta testers via the tester forum =)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

Im not sure which server im on But I have a lvl 29 gladiator and wanna start a lancer with the same character to try it out. I suggest using a gamepad from the start btw. I like it far more then my keyboard. Just takes some time to get used to it.

let me know if u wanna play

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I played the first online FF game that came out. It was not bad but there were a bunch of MMOs out there that did it better so I never stuck around that long in that game. It was one of the most grueling exp level grinding games however, I freaking hated that part, I think you were stuck for the first what seemed like 20 hours just killing bats, crabs, and rodents, before you even saw any of the bigger baddies. One thing about the FF games is they know how to make some really kick ass monster designs, of which I never saw much of in the first game it completely drooped the ball on that part from what I saw. Hopefully they revamped this game to a complete new level because if its going to be more of the same as the first game, then it's going to end up being the same thing as its predecessors were players will just drop it for other more funner games with less pointless grinding that are out there now.

Seen the vid and I confess It does look totally different from what I remember it being, I may give it a try. Or at least download the benchmark and see if my computer can handle it.

top topics

join