It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Demands No Black Nurses Touch Newborn

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   

An African-American nurse is suing a hospital in Flint, MI, alleging that administrators granted a request by a white man with a swastika tattoo that no black nurses tend to his newborn, a demand the hospital says it denied.
link

I knew this kind of hate and ignorance still existed. Regardless, I'm still flabbergasted when faced with such hate.

That's my first reaction.

Then... Then I start thinking like a parent. Thinking about the rights of a parent. Question is - Is it truly as simple as no matter if a parent is right or wrong - they have the supreme right to say what does - and does not take palce with their child?

A Michigan hospital has settled a lawsuit that accused it of agreeing to a man’s request that no black nurses care for his newborn.

The suit was filed by nurse Tonya Battle, who alleged a note was posted on an assignment clipboard reading, “No African American nurse to take care of baby.
Washington Times

Another fine line?

The American Medical Association’s ethics code bars doctors from refusing to treat people based on race, gender and other criteria, but there are no specific policies for handling race-based requests from patients.

“In general, I don’t think honoring prejudicial preferences … is morally justifiable” for a health care organization, said Dr. Susan Goold, a University of Michigan professor of internal medicine and public health. “That said, you can’t cure bigotry … There may be times when grudgingly acceding to a patient’s strongly held preferences is morally OK.”

Those times could include patients who have been so traumatized by rape or combat, for instance that accommodating their request would be preferable to forcing on them a caregiver whose mere presence might aggravate the situation, she said.

Understandably acceptable.

But in the case of a nurse/doctor of color 'care giving' a newborn child of a skinhead?

Yeah, so I was shocked, I really was when first reading the article but there’s a lot to think about here.

Does that mean I condone ignorance and bigotry? Nope.

peace

edit on 24-2-2013 by silo13 because: washington times

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Added note:

The article first claims the parents request was denied. Not so.

Tonya Battle, a veteran nurse at Flint's Hurley Medical Center, filed the first complaint against the hospital and a nursing manager, claiming a note posted on an assignment clipboard read, “No African-American nurse to take care of baby.” She says the note was later removed but black nurses weren’t assigned to care for the baby for about a month because of their race.
link

peace

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
If he doesn't want a black nurse to touch his newborn, he has the right to use another hospital.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

My first reaction is so? I mean really. To me, it isn't a big deal. If people want to be idiots, let them. I'd just say "sure" and move on with life. Because at the end of the day, it doesn't affect me what-so-ever. And honestly, it didn't do anything towards the black nurse either except maybe her feelings. It sucks though, that people need to be this way. But no one can cure anyone. And whining about peoples beliefs don't do any of us any good.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
All in all I just feel sorry for the kid.....

It's like everyone has the right to make babies...heaven forbid they lose that right...lol

But then all the rights stop there and now some dysfunctional family can pop out kids all they want. Ya, I get the point and all, but it still sucks for the kid...

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   

The suit was filed by nurse Tonya Battle, who alleged a note was posted on an assignment clipboard reading, “No African American nurse to take care of baby.

Always intriguing, looking at the names involved.....

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
It doesn't really matter what others think or whether or not his stand is agreeable to the masses. It's his choice and that's enough.

While I don't personally agree with his convictions, he has a right to have them.

But lately, this man along with everyone else is seeing his rights being taken away.

Agree if you want because of equality, Political Correctness and/or anything else but the real issue is that he is being denied his personal rights/beliefs.

Turn the page...would this be news if it were reversed? Maybe, but then we would be talking about the true racism of America instead of a minority getting upset.

Peace

edit on 24-2-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Well if the S ever hits TF,and his wife was in the agonising throes of childbirth,especially in the case of "breech birth" -im sure this ignorant guy would be singing a much more welcoming tune if a black midwife happens to emerge in their vicinity

Really,this is infuriating,and asinine-where does this end?Its not like they got a meths addicted ho from the ghetto to keep an eye on+care for his newborn-these are highly trained proffessional medical staff in question.
Im done now,difficult to type with one hand,and im started to feel a bit nauseous and dizzy-PROPABLY BECAUSE IM USING THE OTHER HAND TO FACEPALM MYSELF INTO A CONCUSSION HERE.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

It certainly makes it look like a made-up story to foster the "race war" that the obozo administration has been trying to start.

I'm a nurse - I would think the hospital - if this is a real story - was doing what it could to protect itself, and the nurses, from a "suit". With obozocare - none of us will have a choice about anything medical.

There isn't a pill for stupid, if this is true - I also feel sorry for the poor kid.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I can't believe they let this man reproduce let alone honour his pathetic racist views.

Lets hope his kid doesn't grow up to be like him.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Turn the page...would this be news if it were reversed? Maybe, but then we would be talking about the true racism of America instead of a minority getting upset.

For clarity - reversed how? A 'colored' nurse refusing to give care to a skinhead's child - or - a 'colored' parent refusing a Caucasian nurse/doctor provide care.

I'm only asking for clarity to achieve better understanding of your point.

peace

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by samuel1990

Lets hope his kid doesn't grow up to be like him.

I agree on many levels.
I’m wondering though - if we’ll hear social services has been alerted to this parent.
There’s a whole can a worms here - a big can.

peace

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

She's in it for the moolah.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I'm not sure what amendment in the constitution gives this man the right to demand only white nurses?

But maybe some people are still living under the constitution of the confederacy....

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I DO NOT wish this on anybody, but...

If he ever chokes on anything, I hope he's in a place where there are nothing but black people around at that moment. It would be funny watching him try to fight off everybody as he's slowly passing out from lack of oxygen.

Of course, we all know he would GLADLY let them help out then.

I can't stand racism.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
It doesn't really matter what others think or whether or not his stand is agreeable to the masses. It's his choice and that's enough.

While I don't personally agree with his convictions, he has a right to have them.

But lately, this man along with everyone else is seeing his rights being taken away.

Agree if you want because of equality, Political Correctness and/or anything else but the real issue is that he is being denied his personal rights/beliefs.

Peace

edit on 24-2-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

If im not mistaken this happened in a public hospital.

Everyone has a right to their personal beliefs no matter how stupid or ignorant they might be, however in a public setting as a society we have a code of conduct that one must follow. Some call it "political correctness", I prefer to call it respect for others.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Idiots have a right to be idiots as long as they are not harming anyone else. This guys disgusting request did nothing to harm this nurse. Sounds to me like this nurse saw a free pay day because this guy was an idiot and the hospital settled because it was cheaper then fighting it and dragging their name through the mud. She is not much better then the racist for taking advantage of the hospital in a precarious situation IMO.
edit on 24-2-2013 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
What a bigot .. makes me wanna smack him . Still we cannot get over race in this world and people expect aliens to come land on the white house lawn while how many americans owns guns .

blechh we are still living with savages from stone age on this planet .

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

How would anyone feel about a muslim woman refusing to be examined by a male physician? You know it has/or will happen?

I hate racism, but as a patient - you are considered as a "client". Under the current laws, you can't, as a hospital, refuse service to anyone. I'm sure the hospital, in this case, was just as embarrased by this racist as anyone else is, but they have a business to run.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join