It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A funny thing about "worst cities" lists: They ALL have ONE THING in Common!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
America's economy has grown tremendously since Jan 2009

and guess who is president?

Hey, smart people, guess who was in power when this economy fell of the cliff???

duurrrr

errrrr

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by RepublicansHATEJesus
A few of the cities are probably right. But this list was obviously made by a Republican. Mississippi is the poorest, stupidest, most Republican place in America. Republicans need to start following Jesus's example; start loving your neighbor. Evil, hate-mongers who want to destroy, rather than help, the less fortunate, they usually say hello to the lake of fire. This make the gun lovers so sad.

[snip]

Mississippi may be full of stupid, poor Republicans in your eyes, but I'd like to point out that there are no cities in Mississippi on that list... are there? Maybe being stupid, poor and Republican makes ya happy.

edit on 24-2-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Censored1
America's economy has grown tremendously since Jan 2009

and guess who is president?

Hey, smart people, guess who was in power when this economy fell of the cliff???

duurrrr

errrrr

Uh, the economy has NOT grown tremendously since Jan 2009. You are simply repeating the lies you hear from the TV news people.

Durrrr.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
*** KNOCK IT OFF ***

GET ON TOPIC and STOP THE SNIDE REMARKS

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
reply to post by jdub297

Democrats destroy everything they touch. They are greedy, mercilous people that think if they throw a little (or a lot) of money at a problem, it'll fix itself. They have no personal responsiblity themselves, and expect no one else to exhibit personal responsibility.

That is their big problem.

I agree. I also find it amazing that you can get away with posting such an opinion that might be construed as incredibly incendiary by democrats (yet true nonetheless), but is perfectly fine to post.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicWand67
A funny thing about the worst threads on ATS. They all have one thing in common.

They all were written by dumb asses trying to blame stuff on their rival political parties.

yep,

The spelling and grammar make me wonder just who is behind the story's on this site. The line "just to die time" Its kill time.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Look at this list of the top 10 smartest(technologically) cities:
Link
Boston and San Fran are the top 2. All of the other cities lean democrat/liberal too, most are very liberal.

There are so many reasons why those cities are miserable. there's so many extraneous variables that make this thread not even funny. I know for a fact why one city is so miserable in the top 6, and it's not because it's democratic. Many businesses left even though the tax rate was very low. So you can't blame the democrats for that.

This thread is just political trolling.
edit on 24-2-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
Look at this list of the top 10 smartest(technologically) cities:
Link
Boston and San Fran are the top 2. All of the other cities lean democrat/liberal too, most are very liberal.

There are so many reasons why those cities are miserable. there's so many extraneous variables that make this thread not even funny. I know for a fact why one city is so miserable in the top 6, and it's not because it's democratic. Many businesses left even though the tax rate was very low. So you can't blame the democrats for that.

This thread is just political trolling.
edit on 24-2-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

Pretty much.
Look at Ann Arbor Michigan. In the top 10 best places to live, work, raise a family, be single, find a job...etc... And is the most Liberal City in about 500 miles from here.

Does that mean liberals govern better? of coarse not.

Look, here is the main factor in what makes a "good" city or not- home ownership. When people own their own ho,mes they are vested in the city- Where I live now (a conservative city) we are suffering an economic downfall, crime wave, etc... They blame everything but the fact that less than 20% here actually own a home and the rest are owned by rental companies and slum lords.

-Hell, thats even why some neighborhoods are great and others (less than a mile away) terrible. Home ownership really makes a huge difference and as we see less and less people owning homes we see less and less people caring about their community and more and more crime and destitution.

-These are complex issues and none of it is "black and white" but people (especially partisan people) want everything simplified to a bumper sticker slogan or single issue.
edit on 24-2-2013 by DarKPenguiN because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

I used only certain criteria for these selections: crime, housing, corruption, taxes/cost of living, housing, services.

Some people, using different criteria, have placed many of these cities on their own "Best Cities in America" lists. The criteria you set greatly influence the outcomes of any survey, as Pew and Gallup will tell you.

If your criteria include best breweries or brewing jobs, then Milwalkee and St. Louis and Boston would occupy high places.
If your criteria is "best creole food" then New Orleans would be "The Best," by far.
Likewise, if you value "automotive industry employment", then Toledo, and Detroit become among "The Best."

Those were not my criteria,
jw

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by jdub297

My question is
Did you get snowballed by the propaganda?
Or did you aim to spread the propaganda lie, knowing it was propaganda?

My question is, "Where do YOU want to live, in a city with great parks and the highest murder rate; or, a city with great government employment and wages, but pathetic schools, high crime and corrupt leadership?

I used only certain criteria for these selections: crime, housing, corruption, taxes/cost of living, housing, services.

Some people, using different criteria, have placed many of these cities on their own "Best Cities in America" lists. The criteria you set greatly influences the outcomes of any survey, as Pew and Gallup will tell you.

If your criteria is "best creole food" then New Orleans would be "The Best," by far.

Likewise, if you value "automotive industry employment," then Detroit becomes "The Best."

Those were not my criteria,
jw

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RebelSoldier

Makes sense, poorer people tend to lean more towards the democrat party. So, if there is a correlation then i think you have the cause and effect backwards, although i think at least half of these places are just as divided on party affiliation as the rest of the country is.

You've jumped the gun, son.

I drew no conclusions and made NO "cause/effect" assumptions.

I wasn't looking for the cities with the best bath houses, or the most parks. I wasn't looking for the best bar/food scene, or the best place to learn how to speak Australian.

I noticed a distinct decline in a single city I visit enough to make comparisons
I wanted to see what other cities with similar problems, e.g., high crime and unemployment, high taxes, poor services, corrupt practices, inadequte housing (public and private), looked like.

Some were large. Some were small. Some were majority white, hispanic or black. Some were former industrial centers and some were former service/business hubs.

There were a few things that many had in common, but ONE THING they ALL had in common.

You will find anywhere that I've said that X is a cause of Y. Or Y of X.
You draw your own conclusions; I'm still working on this, and will let you know if I think I know WHY this is so.
But, it is so.

jw

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297

Originally posted by samuel1990
reply to post by jdub297

Well, I'm certainly curious as living in Aus, we don't tend to have crazy political things like this going on.
I really was born in the 'lucky country'.

You cannot be serious, my fair dinkum. (We had a local TV host who used that all the time, so I had to look it up.)

You know the story, here's the punch-line: ""Yesterday we were campaigning. Today you voted for us"

Good luck.

jw

Good luck for what?
And to be truthful, I've never used 'fair dinkum' in my life!
Julia Gillard may be a tosser but I've never witnessed such harsh politics in Australia in regards to the USA.
I don't think it's me that needs the luck, mate.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntelRetard
yep,
The spelling and grammar make me wonder just who is behind the story's on this site. The line "just to die time" Its kill time.

Look, I-Retard, it's "bide" time; not "kill."
So what?

The bottom line is that if you use the same criteria I used, and lists drawn fron the sources I used, you would find that same thing I found.

Some people are so afraid to ask difficult questions, or see things others do (but refuse to acknowledge), that it inhibits legitimate inquiry.

I'm not one of those people. Sorry if that irritates your delicate sensibilities.
(Did I spell all of that correctly?)
(Oh, and "stories" is not spelled "story's; and, a period (.) is used at the end of a sentence.)

jw

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

stereotype much?

What people in this thread seem to not understand is that correlation does not equal causation.
As usual, the right wingers rely on their faith based assumptions rather than doing any work to find out the real cause.

Don't forget, all the blue states carry the red states with their federal tax dollars.

articles.businessinsider.com...

So yes, Democrats may attempt to throw money at problems, but it is a heck of a lot more effective than trying to pray them away...

Please go on and give me more ammunition against you

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I'd like to know why this thread isn't in the US political forum ?

The thread title makes no mention of it being strictly about US cities and left/right wing political US verbal vomit.

The reader has to get half way down the OP before they realize it's just another US political pissing contest thread.

I want my 3 minutes back...

For anyone else who might be interested in the rest of the world, here's a list of the top 10 worst cities to live in (what the OP's thread title alluded to), based on various standard socio-economic factors (such as crime, government, overcrowding, economy, climate, etc etc) and its rating system :

EIU global “liveability” study as posted in The Telegraph

10. Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
9. Tehran, Iran
8. Douala, Cameroon
7. Tripoli, Libya
6. Karachi, Pakistan
5. Algiers, Algeria
4. Harare, Zimbabwe
3. Lagos, Nigeria
2. Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
1. Dhaka, Bangladesh

... Gosh, they must all be run by Democrats.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

It is highly likely that you're correct, but I don't think you understand why that is. It is because the poor tend to vote Democrat (because, obviously, they're not rich, so they believe they will be better off with Dems.) such cities are typically the cities who provide the majority of the tax revenue for the states they are in, as they are highly productive cities. Along with that productivity and population density commes a higher concentration of poor to go along with the producers in the area. On another level, you'll see states who carry thr majority of the tax burden for the nation, tend to experience the most financial hardship (Illinois, California, new York, etc.). Its simply a reality of our economic system. Large concentrations of the poor exist where large concentrations of people in general are. People concentrate in those places because that is where the best opportunity for jobs is.

Besides the poor, those areas are also those with typically higher average education levels. The more highly educated a city is, the more likely that city's voters vote Democrat. This is why the far-right wing of the Republican party despises higher education.

UnfortuNtely, if we all chose to live in idyllic, slow-paced, low population density cities, propped up by big city money, we would, as a nation, have no viable economy.

Productivity, and carrying the nation on our backs financially are things these cities contribute. In exchange, we typically have higher population density, higher spread between poor and wealthy, higher crime rates, and less government services (as our money is dumped so rapidly into the less productive, typically red areas of the state, and the nation to keep them afloat.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297
IL (Pat Quinn, Democrat - 2 predecessors convicted of corruption)
Chicago (Rahm Emmanuel (D))

I have to point out a few things, because I live about 50 miles south of Chicago. Of Quinn's predecessors in jail, one is Republican, one is Democrat. I don't know this Emmanuel guy, but Richard Daley was mayor of Chicago for 22 years. And almost nothing got better and some things got worse. The corruption and crime is nowhere close to new. And I bet you could trace some of it back a half a century.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
So let me get this straight.. OP and several other party fellows are trying to link and blame current bad conditions in cities all over america to the democrats last ruling them..

some people are really simplistic.. you are trying to make a simple correlation link because your simple minds can't cope with the fact that there are A HUGE number of factors involved in the problem..

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

I'm with you on this one, Druscilla.

For those who still think there is a significant difference between the two parties:

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join