It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Epic fail for the mars rover

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
So we drilled this perfect hole on mars, and have pictures of it...

and at no time does the rover drop a seed into the hole, a drop of water and cover it back up i dont know

EPIC FAIL

Mars Rover drill coverage

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by hisshadow

Most plants struggle to grow in solid rock with plentiful water and appropriate atmospheric conditions.

And you call epic fail on them for not dropping a seed in a rock on Mars...

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I think this thread is an epic fail.

You planted the seed so thumbs up for that

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Sooo, what you are saying is what would happen if a seed were planted and watered there?

Interesting idea, if a little out there. How much CO2 is present anywhere? Not much. And H20? Its all in ice form I believe.

Maybe if they put a little glass dome over the spot. Like a terrarium of sorts? That way the water might not evaporate and the sun would warm the interior enough to melt the water ice during the day?

Then what would happen?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I understand where you are coming from but this really isn't an ideal place to try and grow something. Maybe somewhere like the bottom of an old river bed or lake bed - probably not rock!
Great idea though : )
Would be interesting to see the outcome!

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
That's how the Bbola Virus and HIV got here ??...
I think it best we dont Dabble with another Planets Bio system until we are a million years more advanced than we are right now....

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Mars doesn't even have a suitable magnetosphere to protect plant life from UV radiation - never mind the extreme cold, hostile atmosphere and no water - what exactly would you expect them to grow there? Seems even the attempt would be a frivolous experiment doomed to failure, especially where all unnecessary weight (such as water) would have added greatly to the cost of the mission.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
What they should do is just fill huge silos with every single seed and good bacteria on the planet and despence them all over local planets and then go back in a few decades and see if anything has routed you never know some plants like no sun and can survive from very little moisture and start producing oxygen

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Have you seen weather reports from Curiosity? (yes, there are weather reports!)

marsweather.com...

At night, temperature drops to almost -70 C. When it does get a few degrees above zero, any water would be quicky evaporated due to the extremely low air pressure.

I don't see how plant life could survivie in those conditions.

P.S. NASA have gone a bit overboard with the white-balancing that image (the grey sample looks almost cyan), so here's my version of it, white-balanced in PaintShop Pro:

Raw version: www.nasa.gov...
edit on 24-2-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
but it would be cool !! lol

acctually the idea would be to put several planets in a rover during the 3month trip there and slowly get them accustom to the new pressure n temps so you could just drop them in the ground when you get tthem there.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

Sooo, what you are saying is what would happen if a seed were planted and watered there?

Interesting idea, if a little out there. How much CO2 is present anywhere? Not much. And H20? Its all in ice form I believe.

Maybe if they put a little glass dome over the spot. Like a terrarium of sorts? That way the water might not evaporate and the sun would warm the interior enough to melt the water ice during the day?

Then what would happen?

There is also the nitrogen fixing bugs in Earths soil that most plants need, is there any nitrogen in mars rocks/soil? or the bugs?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by hisshadow
but it would be cool !! lol

acctually the idea would be to put several planets in a rover during the 3month trip there and slowly get them accustom to the new pressure n temps so you could just drop them in the ground when you get tthem there.

I'm with you doc. We need more plants on mars. By the time we get there we'd have a really big garden.

And we could play on the swings all day smelling roses.

That's my dream, and why isn't nasa doing it !!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Shouldn't we find out if life is already there before we introduce an invasive species?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I vote for quinoa. Plant quinoa, the food of the Gods, the Mother Grain, and the former food of the Andes (until the people there could no longer afford it).

Do any plants grow in the earth's north pole or south pole region? Lichen of any kind? This is a good thought-game, thanks for both imagining the idea and putting up a thread about it.
edit on 24-2-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   

and at no time does the rover drop a seed into the hole, a drop of water and cover it back up i dont know
That is considered a success, not a failure.

They don't even want a microbe to make it to Mars, much less a plant:

Measures to Prevent the Contamination of Mars

Over the coming decade, NASA should develop and implement new methods and requirements to detect and eliminate microorganisms on robotic spacecraft sent to Mars to prevent possible contamination of the planet, says a new report from the National Academies’ National Research Council. If microbes aboard a spacecraft were to survive the trip to Mars and grow there, they could interfere with scientific investigations to detect any life that might be native to Mars.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Just as a side note, are they elastic bands holding something on Curiosity?

Sorry bout the epic thread fail comment. It wasn't accurate. Bit seedy really.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

EPIC FAIL

Mars Rover drill coverage

They actually go to great lengths NOT to contaminate Mars with Earth life.

Mars is a scientific laboratory at the moment, and experiments are looking for signs that life may have existed there in the past. Contaminating Mars with life from Earth will ruin that experiment. Once Mars is contaminated with life from Earth, we may have a difficult time discerning whether life was already there before our probes put it there.

edit on 2/24/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: grammar

jra

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by magma

Are you referring to the image posted by wildspace? If so, they aren't elastic bands, but something similar to a twist tie to help hold wire bundles together. I see them used quite extensively in aircraft.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Not to mention that life introduced from Earth might make whatever life might currently exist there extinct.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
There is a bigger problem with this thread. Who starred it??

top topics

<<   2 >>

join