It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Calling all kitty experts!

page: 2
5
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Get a toy or a piece of string and dangle it near them, their curiosity will get the better of them and they will come out and play. While playing give them a treat or 2.

Give it time and they will be fine, I moved house recently and my 2 very affectionate cats acted like yours for about a week till they got back to their old selves.

Dont chase them or hold them when they want to be left alone, this will traumatise them and turn them into snobby unaffectionate kittys




posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by bjax9er
don't touch.

lay on the floor next to where they are hiding, so that they can make eye contact.
talk to them,
but don't touch.

they are scared.

teach them you are trustworthy, by not touching, or chasing.

they will come around, be patient.




Good advice. It's just hard being patient when you finally have kittens in the house 2 years after our old cat passed away!



posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
Forgot to say I couldn't talk to my cat because she was deaf, but I would flick a light when entering the room or leaving. I would then lie beside her without touching. Leave a couple of treats near him/her. After some time she started purring and let me touch her.

Once they gain your trust it is imperative that you establish a grooming routine because these cats can get matted up fast.



I am very familiar with the breed :-). In nearly 40 years of being a cat owner, I've had 4 cats before these two -and all have been persian breeds: 3 Himalayans and 1exotic shorthair. Only one of the himi's was prone to matting and I kept her hair trimmed. The others were kept well groomed with slicker brushes, and later with a furminator (once they were invented).

I wrote that these kittens are Persians, but they are really exotic shorthairs (no one ever know what an exotic is and it is easier to say Persian)... One is a definite shorthair, her fur feels like rabbit fur it is so silky. The other one is a long hair exotic, so it looks exactly like a Persian but its coat is slicker, not quite as wooly. I don't expect that she will mat up much, but I ordered the new long hair furminator for kitties to have on hand. We used one with our last cat and as far as brushes go, they are absolutely amazing how much better they work than a regular old cat brush



posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Are your kids fairly noisy? Is there loud activities or music happening at your place on a regular basis? Most breeders have quiet environments for raising their cats because that is what cats like. When they enter a new home they can be very stressed by loud noises.

Also, some breeders neglect to accustom the kittens to plenty of handling by people so when they enter a new home they are stressed by all of the attention for a while.

Just make sure your kids don't treat them like toys. They are family members now who need their space and go through stress when being harassed or mishandled, just like we do. They will come around if you treat them well and they will be happy and return any affection you give them ten fold.



posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
Are your kids fairly noisy? Is there loud activities or music happening at your place on a regular basis? Most breeders have quiet environments for raising their cats because that is what cats like. When they enter a new home they can be very stressed by loud noises.

Also, some breeders neglect to accustom the kittens to plenty of handling by people so when they enter a new home they are stressed by all of the attention for a while.

Just make sure your kids don't treat them like toys. They are family members now who need their space and go through stress when being harassed or mishandled, just like we do. They will come around if you treat them well and they will be happy and return any affection you give them ten fold.




No, they are good kids and pretty mature for teens/pre-teens. We do have a 3 yr old but he doesn't bother with them at all.

It's funny, we got our last exotic when my oldest was a baby, and the kitty bonded with our kids. He would sit with them while they watched tv. Our oldest would stage wars with his little green army men on the cat. It was all very sweet. He was amazingly tolerant with kids but was never a lap cat and wasn't too bothered with adults.

I'm really hoping they come around soon. Thankfully they are venturing out to eat and use the litter box.



posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Here's what I did with my feral kitty, who became a very loving cat.

Every night, for a week, I slept in the living room where he chose to hide. I played classical music, very quietly. I had a bowl of cat food nearby.

Whenever he would peek at me, I would slowly blink, look away, and talk to him. Quiet, soothing, gentle words.

I never looked him in the eye, as this is a challenge. I kept my movements slow and predictable.

By the second night, he would venture out of hiding to take a bite of food, always watching me. I continued the talking.

By third night, he would eat comfortably, run back to his spot, sit and watch me.

By fourth night he was coming up to me, touching with his paw, then running away

By fifth night, he was curled up next to the radio, purring. Only then did I try to pet him. He let me, eventually

By the seventh night, he was out of hiding and playing everywhere, jumping in my lap for petting, then dashing off to play some more

The key is patience, slow movements, no eye contact, let the cat come to you. They will...they are curious creatures.

Good luck!



posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Here's what I did with my feral kitty, who became a very loving cat.

Every night, for a week, I slept in the living room where he chose to hide. I played classical music, very quietly. I had a bowl of cat food nearby.

Whenever he would peek at me, I would slowly blink, look away, and talk to him. Quiet, soothing, gentle words.

I never looked him in the eye, as this is a challenge. I kept my movements slow and predictable.

By the second night, he would venture out of hiding to take a bite of food, always watching me. I continued the talking.

By third night, he would eat comfortably, run back to his spot, sit and watch me.

By fourth night he was coming up to me, touching with his paw, then running away

By fifth night, he was curled up next to the radio, purring. Only then did I try to pet him. He let me, eventually

By the seventh night, he was out of hiding and playing everywhere, jumping in my lap for petting, then dashing off to play some more

The key is patience, slow movements, no eye contact, let the cat come to you. They will...they are curious creatures.

Good luck!


eye contact is most important.

they have to know that YOU see THEM.

no you do not want to stare at them, as that is a challenge.

long blinks, looking away, and bowing your head after eye contact teaches them you do not wish to challenge them.

bowing their heads is how all cats show affection for one another.
it's the same between humans and cat.



posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er
 


yes, the blinking I read about in a cat manual. It's how they communicate non-threateningly with each other. I noticed my two cats now, who are both very loving, will do the same thing. They will look me in the eye, then have a long blink, then look at me again to see if I "got the message."

Cats really are amazing, aren't they.



posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
How old are they right now? Moreover, where did you buy them? Did you buy them from a reputable and experienced breeder, or are these kittens just an accidental litter from a private party? Do they have a pedigree, i.e.: Are they capable of being registered with Cat Fanciers Association or another registry? Have they had vaccinations? been spayed yet? Were they litter trained when you got them?

From the information you've given so far it sounds like they have not been well socialized at their first home. I just got two Ocicats from Dreamfinder (My testimonial is under "Past Kittens" on that site) and have fortunately had the opposite experience. They go up to strangers they've never met, roll on their backs, and say, "Pet me!" The breeder has four children and a dog, plus lots of other cats, inckuding Ragdiolls (a passive breed, if you;ve ever seen them.) I'm sure that environment helped.



posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
How old are they right now? Moreover, where did you buy them? Did you buy them from a reputable and experienced breeder, or are these kittens just an accidental litter from a private party? Do they have a pedigree, i.e.: Are they capable of being registered with Cat Fanciers Association or another registry? Have they had vaccinations? been spayed yet? Were they litter trained when you got them?

From the information you've given so far it sounds like they have not been well socialized at their first home. I just got two Ocicats from Dreamfinder (My testimonial is under "Past Kittens" on that site) and have fortunately had the opposite experience. They go up to strangers they've never met, roll on their backs, and say, "Pet me!" The breeder has four children and a dog, plus lots of other cats, inckuding Ragdiolls (a passive breed, if you;ve ever seen them.) I'm sure that environment helped.


4 months old & yes from a reputable breeder. They are from separate litters though, the black and white is from an exotic Persian outcross, and so she is a long hair exotic ( not as desire able as the plush coat). The tortie is a tortie smoke and does have the right coat type. She has come out of her shell a lot today and is sitting on my bed as I type this (yay!!!). The breeder had her in the house but the other kitten was in the cattery-so that may explain some things.

They have had their first shots and our vet won't spay until they are 5 months old and over 4 lbs. The black one is probably close to that weight but the tortie has a way to go, she is much more petite. they are litter trained and have used their box since we got them.

In the past we always got kittens at 6 weeks and they never went through that shy stage. My last himi was the most affectionate little beast one could ever meet. She was a 4lb purr factory, and even people who hated cats loved her. She travelled the country with us and never met a stranger. We miss her terribly and have always asserted that if all cats were like her, everyone would have a dozen,



posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by rimjaja
 


Well, if it means anything to you you sound like a well-experienced cat owner who knows what she is doing. In over 40 years I've had only one freaky cat, a 6 pound siamese I named Ricochet because she bounced of the walls. Actually, the dog named her because when we asked him he bounced his purple ball off the couch. Good luck to you. Maybe they just had over-protective parents!



posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Popping in for a quick update.

The kitties are still hiding primarily but have been venturing out into the living room to look at us. Last night the little one chased a laser pointer and tubby sat back and swatted at the action from across the room. You could tell she wanted to play but wasn't quite comfortable enough yet. Baby steps!



posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Another quick update. It's been two weeks now since we got the kitties.

The tortie, who we thought would be the most outgoing, is still quite skitters but she will get up on the kids beds to get scratched and petted.

The black and white (who is incredibly shy) has a crush on my husband. She lays near his chair and positions herself to watch him. If he lays on the floor, she will come up and swat at his fingers. It's pretty sweet. She has even come into the kitchen and requested wet food.

So, it looks like we are being trained already!

I hope they continue to open up.



posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
If you want a social cat, get a mutt. Never did like those purebred cats, they are highstrung most times. The plain old cat like me is more fun.



posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by rimjaja
 


I have a tortie. tortie's hate other cats (unless you get two tortie's together or were always together) It is insane. I would love to get a dog or another cat (I live by myself since my wife passed 2010) but I can't introduce another animal into this house! I have a big house and I can't believe this crap!


There is this black cat that comes around that is hugh. I feed it outside, and I put my cat in the one room when it was cold last night and let the black cat come in and warm up. My cat new what I was up to and was banging on the damn door!! It freaked the black cat out ..so I had to let it out..

Anyway..Tortie's are a bitch.
edit on 3-3-2013 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)




edit on 3-3-2013 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by bjax9er
don't touch.

lay on the floor next to where they are hiding, so that they can make eye contact.
talk to them,
but don't touch.

they are scared.

teach them you are trustworthy, by not touching, or chasing.

they will come around, be patient.


I disagree. You said "don't touch" 3 times in that post. I have had two cats raised from kittens. Both animal and human psychology experts will tell you touch is essential to normal raising of kids and pets.The momma cat touches the kittens. Parents touch their babies. Both of my cats love me and show me they desire to be near me. When they are scared of something, they come to me not the wife first. I made sure I had plenty of contact with them as kittens. You Must touch to teach your cat you can be trusted and the initial fear will quickly go away and you will bond with the cat. Just like a human with babies, those who don't touch the kitten as often as they should might have problems with that cat growing up well adjusted.



posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY
 


I thought that torties are supposed to be friendly!

I'm hoping that these two will be good company for each other since they are only a week apart in age. The tortie is a fair bit smaller than the tuxedo but the tuxedo gets out of her way around the food bowls lol



posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by rimjaja
reply to post by RUFFREADY
 


I thought that torties are supposed to be friendly!

I'm hoping that these two will be good company for each other since they are only a week apart in age. The tortie is a fair bit smaller than the tuxedo but the tuxedo gets out of her way around the food bowls lol


They are (too you only) I know. Unless you already have cats in the house , "then" bring in a tortie, it would work. But, you can't have a tortie, and bring in other cats..without crap going down..



posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I think just about everyone on ATS who knows me knows Im not a cat fan..at all
But.. I grew up with them and the one poster is right. Let THEM pick their time to get to know you. Theyre all so individual and some will be naturally distrustful forever where the littermate will be loving. They're so varied... much like people.. let them show you their personality and observe it to "speak" to them individually according to their personality.

One note.. sometimes they DONT grow out of being skittish or just plain mean. When I was a kid my mom had this rotten old cat. He would love all over her and act like a baby, but if I came in the room he would hide under the couch. When I got a little older, Id walk by the couch to go through the room.. he would take a running start at my long pigtails, run up them and literally ATTACK my head. I still have scars on my forehead, face and neck from that darn cat and Im almost 50.. they werent love scratches! Running FROM this cat I fell and caught my face on the side of the fireplace... got several stitches and to this day a large scar in my EYEBROW. WHen people ask abuout the scar ( I dont wear much makeup in the summer or casually) I tell them its from my mothers cat. Not a tiger, but a 10 yr old tabby! The cat almost killed me! LOL! Mom definitely loved the cat more than me, she kept the cat! It tortured me for 5 years!
She said you make a commitment to care for an animal, you keep the commitment.... .okay.. what about meeeee mom??!!
Hence, my cat angst. I could bore you with my cat VS me tales.. some Ive lost, some Ive won. You get the idea though!

Now she has a HUGE maine coon... it doesnt like me, but it also hasnt tried to behead me. This one is big enough it could probably rip my throat out... it hasnt.. YET. **knock on wood**



posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Uh oh! I think one or both of the kitties brought ringworm into the house. Just found two small spots on my daughter.

Put bleach and lamasil on my girl, guess a trip to a vet with a black light is in my future. I don't see lesions on either but read that they can be silent carriers




top topics



 
5
<< 1   >>

log in

join