It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran says it captured 'enemy drone'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Iran says it captured 'enemy drone'

www.cnn.com

Iran said Saturday that it downed and captured another "enemy drone," the semi-official Fars News Agency reported.

The incident reportedly took place during Iranian military maneuvers in southern Iran
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
hi all

I saw this just breaking

Iran says it captured another drone during Iranian military maneuvers in southern Iran.

Revolutionary Guards Corps Lt. Gen. Hamid Sarkheili said IRGC's electronic warfare systems detected electronic signals, which indicated that foreign drones intended to enter our country

It says they might release the footage from the drone.

Seems like the news latlely is drones dornes drones .

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 23-2-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Good for them I suppose.

Not sure what good its going to do them. I mean its not even a good morale booster since its...well ... a drone.

If they want to hoot and hollar over their exceptional defense capabilities for downing an unmanned vehicle than more power to them.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Freakin drones everywhere. Those things are pure evil with wings. Like flying terminators from hell !

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Good for them I suppose.

Not sure what good its going to do them. I mean its not even a good morale booster since its...well ... a drone.

If they want to hoot and hollar over their exceptional defense capabilities for downing an unmanned vehicle than more power to them.

When each downed drone leads to the next one being taken down even easier it is something to think about. After all these things costs millions no sense in throwing money away when they obviously blow at spying.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Why are drones flying over Iran? As far as I’m aware it’s not a war zone. Surely this can’t be legal. I’d be very angry if the US were flying drones over Australian skies (though they probably do and it wouldn’t surprise me one bit. Our clowns in charge would probably let them build a second White House in Canberra).

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Good for them I suppose.

I think it would be more the triumph of a silly backwards country which cannot even come close to the USA in any way, over the USA...for the 2nd time. Are the drones made of foam and old R/C parts? If they are so great, how come Iran keeps capturing them? And if they aren't so great, why haven't any fallen into "enemy" hands before?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

Good for them I suppose.

I think it would be more the triumph of a silly backwards country which cannot even come close to the USA in any way, over the USA...for the 2nd time. Are the drones made of foam and old R/C parts? If they are so great, how come Iran keeps capturing them? And if they aren't so great, why haven't any fallen into "enemy" hands before?

I'd be surprised if Iran couldn't shoot them down easily, its not like their made to be great at avoiding attack if you have the proper weaponry.

Perhaps the US was just testing how long it took Iran to figure it out. That's a common practice when trying to gauge an ememies response time.

Its something I'd do. If we've been flying drones of Iran for years and they've only managed to knock two of em down I'd say they have little chance of stopping Israel fighters.

Not condoning any attack on Iran, I'm just saying that could very well be why they are flying over that country.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I think we should start putting tags on our drones that say:

" if found please return to the C.I.A., Langley virginia U.S.A."

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
WOW, if this is true, then drones signals really arent as encrypted as they are made to sound like, or the Iranians are just really good at cyber, and frequency jamming - taking over controls. Iranians are made to look like cavemen are goat herders here in the US, but rather the opposite with a lot of cutting edge tech being designed and also amajority of doctors are of Iranian descent here in the US which most people dont want to believe

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Hmmmmm, a 3D printer and a prototype.......presto! Drones from Iran tracking and targeting us.

Originally posted by Annunak1
Freakin drones everywhere. Those things are pure evil with wings. Like flying terminators from hell !

I agree. It was what I immediately thought. But instead of great big easy to spot attackers, they will be small, stealthy and deadly. Not a lot one can do I'm afraid. You can't put a giant net over the country.
edit on 23-2-2013 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

The only thing is, they haven't shot them down. They've taken control of them.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I understand that but my point remains the same.

Perhaps we were seeing how long it took them to figure out how to do that. It gives us an insight into their tecnological capability.

If Iran were smart they should have just let the drones fly around taking pictures of the desert and not revealed their hand to us.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

If I could take something down and have the chance to reverse engineer the pinnacle of remote robotic spying hardware while shaming the people that sent it, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Edit: Plus, isn't the point of the drones is to not get caught? If they wanted something to get caught, could they not have a self-destruct sequence put in so that they hardware/software doesn't fall into "enemy" hands? I don't buy your argument.

edit on 23-2-2013 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

If I could take something down and have the chance to reverse engineer the pinnacle of remote robotic spying hardware while shaming the people that sent it, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Edit: Plus, isn't the point of the drones is to not get caught? If they wanted something to get caught, could they not have a self-destruct sequence put in so that they hardware/software doesn't fall into "enemy" hands? I don't buy your argument.

If they were actually that worried about it falling into enemy hands then it would have a self-destruct in it in either circumstance.

I highly doubt that how drones operate is super duper top-secret stuff. They probably know how to do it already, its the cost and materials and testing that are holding them back. Sure they may see how we put it together but so what?

Are they going to build fleets of them and fly over the US?

Doubtful. If they reverse engineer it, it really doesn't affect us at all. Heck, they are building nuclear weapons, I'm sure they can figure out how a remote control drone works.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Doubtful. If they reverse engineer it, it really doesn't affect us at all. Heck, they are building nuclear weapons, I'm sure they can figure out how a remote control drone works.

If it didn't matter, the plans and materials would be able to be found via Google...

You believe they are building nuclear weapons? Sources? Did you believe Iraq was as well?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

If it didn't matter, the plans and materials would be able to be found via Google...

You believe they are building nuclear weapons? Sources? Did you believe Iraq was as well?

Of course they wouldn't be found on the internet. Iran however, has some very brilliant people and the resources to hire those that know how to do it.

As for nuclear weapons, even if you don't believe they are building any, you know they are researching nuclear energy which is itself far more complicated than building drones. The point was that they have the means to figure out this technology themselves without resorting to america for the answers.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

As for nuclear weapons, even if you don't believe they are building any, you know they are researching nuclear energy which is itself far more complicated than building drones. The point was that they have the means to figure out this technology themselves without resorting to america for the answers.

Researching/enriching for nuclear energy is a far cry from building drones and not even in the same discipline. I know Stephen Hawking can describe his theories on black holes, but, can he describe the chemical reaction when NaOH meets H2O?

Edit: I do get what you trying to get at though. They are a smart people and it shouldn't be surprising to anyone that they can take down a drone without using bullets.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Researching/enriching for nuclear energy is a far cry from building drones and not even in the same discipline. I know Stephen Hawking can describe his theories on black holes, but, can he describe the chemical reaction when NaOH meets H2O?

Edit: I do get what you trying to get at though. They are a smart people and it shouldn't be surprising to anyone that they can take down a drone without using bullets.

Yep that's what I was saying. The point about nuclear research was to show that they have the ability to get things done on their own either by researching it themselves or hiring experts in the field. I'm sure they have tons of outside help with their nuclear program and if they really wanted drones they could hire people to do that also.

Our losing drones to Iran is not going to all of a sudden give them fleets of drones capable of attacking us. If that was their goal they'd have them already. So if we lose one or two to them I really don't think we are worried about them backward engineering it.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Yep that's what I was saying. The point about nuclear research was to show that they have the ability to get things done on their own either by researching it themselves or hiring experts in the field. I'm sure they have tons of outside help with their nuclear program and if they really wanted drones they could hire people to do that also.

Our losing drones to Iran is not going to all of a sudden give them fleets of drones capable of attacking us. If that was their goal they'd have them already. So if we lose one or two to them I really don't think we are worried about them backward engineering it.

No but it is giving them working models to reverse engineer and they are not as stupid as you think. And yes they did get help with their nuclear programs from the Russians to the Americans.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join