It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Buyback Names Released In Error

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Gun Buyback Names Released In Error

www.krqe.com

When SFPD went to the city for $33,000 for a third gun buyback scheduled for March, it provided the city with a list of information, including a list of the 92 people it owed money to from the first two gun buybacks. That information also included addresses and phone numbers along with what weapons the city bought from the person.

Then the Finance Department put that information in a packet for the Santa Fe City Council making it public record.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Well, this scam backfired.

One of the main drivers behind gun buybacks is the promise that you will remain anonymous.

I guess the bureaucrats weren't really worried about that...

More from the story:

No names were to be taken and the gun owner would get $100 for rifles and shotguns, $150 for handguns and $200 for assault weapons.

How do they know which ones are assault weapons? The scary looking ones? Call Feinstein?

www.krqe.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 23-2-2013 by Signals because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
That isn't a backfire....that is plausible deniability to any wrong doing on the city's part. I smell no "accident" here and it was intentional on their part.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
That isn't a backfire....that is plausible deniability to any wrong doing on the city's part. I smell no "accident" here and it was intentional on their part.

Intended for what purpose. I don't doubt you are right, I just wonder what their reasons were?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by nothingwrong

For many reasons. The intent, as was with the paper back-East, was to route out "gun-owners"; as is this case. These people, for their own reasons, participated in the buy-back program under the assumption that it was anonymous. Turns out, it wasn't.

In my opinion, it is a ploy to pit one group against another as show to be so effective in other areas of public life.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
So they made them sitting ducks and handed their names over to their dark siders, and pretend its a big mistake? People need to slip those guys some guns maybe.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Agreed, doesn't seem like a "mistake", huh?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Though makes one wonder if it is billed as anonymous...and the city asks you for a name and address....it really isn't anonymous is it? I mean, if it were truly anonymous, they would have no names to mistakenly put out.....the State is culpable but so are the people who freely gave their information in an "anonymous" buy back.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Though makes one wonder if it is billed as anonymous...and the city asks you for a name and address....it really isn't anonymous is it? I mean, if it were truly anonymous, they would have no names to mistakenly put out.....the State is culpable but so are the people who freely gave their information in an "anonymous" buy back.

This is a very good point! What sort of dip-wit goes to an anonymous event and does not question being asked for a name and address as soon as you get there?

"Oh, we keep you information anonymously" - this means nothing, but people believe it. People talk about dumbing down America - perhaps that plan is going better that anyone thought, huh?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
wow, when does the next gun buyback occur? ill pay $200 for an "assault weapon" any day

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

Funny you say this, many people have hung out outside the gun buybacks, buying guns, it's completely legal.

(for now)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by nothingwrong

This is a very good point! What sort of dip-wit goes to an anonymous event and does not question being asked for a name and address as soon as you get there?

"Oh, we keep you information anonymously" - this means nothing, but people believe it. People talk about dumbing down America - perhaps that plan is going better that anyone thought, huh?

I was thinking those kind of thoughts immediately after reading the OP. I would also add it's not "just" being dumbed down. People are compliant more than anything else it seems. People in the West readily do what they're told by someone parading as an "authority". Hell they even volunteer to pay income tax

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Some mistake.... O_o; That's just sick.. So now every criminal knows which persons were dumb enough to turn in a weapon and are now defenseless?

San Francisco needs to patrol those areas much much more at this point, or give them back their guns in good faith.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I figure if they were stupid enough to turn in their guns for any reason then they got what they deserved. Soon, they will get what they were paid for. Can't fix stupid.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I'm glad to be wrong, but my understanding was the guns returned for the most part were either non-functional (broken), too old (no ammo or parts), and just pieces of junk. People found the pieces of junk (or antiques) laying around and got some cash for it.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

It's not junk unless you don't know what to do with it.

Sure, some are nonfunctional, but that's to be expected.

Some are valuable family heirlooms, hence people hanging around outside to cherry-pick and offer more money than the programs.

The liberal agenda would have us believe it's "for the children", but less guns = more safety is not necessarily the case.

No criminals intent on doing harm are selling their guns back...

new topics

top topics

join