It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Bullingdon Club Member' DID Burn £50 In Front Of A Tramp, Student Alleges

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by destination now
..., or taunting him by saying "here do you want £50...nah think I'll burn it instead" then that would be shocking.

And that's exactly the message they sent to the tramp by burning that bill.
"I'd rather burn my money than give it to you"
Shocking as you say indeed.

Now do you get it?
It' s not about the money, it's the message.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ketzer22
People on this website are out of their minds. Do you know how much stupid stuff I've done since I've been in college? Burning 50 bucks would be tame compared to some of the shenanigans I've been involved in. For you all (with the exception of a few) to sit in your ivory tower and spout off with this baseless disgust over a 50 spot being burned up is laughable. Seriously, its laughable. And someone even went as far as to say they would beat the dude's teeth in? Over a 50 spot? How do you even have a computer with internet access if you're willing to assault someone over 50 bucks?

If someone burned a 50 dollar bill in front of me I would be like "Dude, you're an idiot" and keep walking. I don't really know where the pretentious attitude is coming from on ATS these days.

Do you not comprehend how you miss the point of the thread with your rambling?

It is not the deed in question, it is the fact that this is the sort of initiation process one has to go through to be accepted into these societies.

When you then proceed in a logical manner, one sees that these societies are producing our future 'leaders', or should I say front men for the real controllers.

Don't you see what this initiation is about? It is for the initiate to prove their lack of humanity and empathy- for that is what is required to be a top political leader.
edit on 24-2-2013 by Wonderer2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by z00mster

Why do you all keep referring to the homeless as tramps? That's what's really shocking on this thread, the double standards...

And as none of us have ever actually been there, who would know what the intention was other than performing an initiation task like so many other young, dumb people...

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

reply to post by Muckster

It's really not the same thing and I think you know that...People who make donations to the starving in Africa spend their money as they see fit, and lets face it, most of that money goes to the dictatorships that serve as government in these countries, I wonder how the starving people feel about the money that you and I send to them being used to buy luxury cars!

At the end of the day, it is their money to do what they want with, they didn't take it from the person, simply set it on fire in front of them, yes, a bit daft, but hardly the epitome of evil

I think you’ve completely missed the point. I am suggesting that someone who can stand in front of the needy, and destroy that which they need to survive, are morally bankrupt. Make all the excuses you want... it just plain wrong!

No one has said that it is the epitome of all evil... people are simply asking are they fit to run the country considering their attitudes towards the poor.

I think they are not.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

So if you had a top of the range mobile phone, or car, or designer handbag, you would never flaunt it in front of anyone else who could not afford the same model?

You would never buy a takeaway pizza if there was someone sat outside the shop who could not afford one themselves?

What's the difference?

We're all the same.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

No, I haven't missed the point at all and lets face it, it's not as if there are thousands of Oxford undergraduates running around burning £50 notes in front of the homeless, it's a few doing it and it the grander scheme of things, not really important, certainly not "breaking news" standard.

Like I said before if they were going about urinating on them that would be different and as the poster AndyMayhew has just pointed out, people flaunt their wealth to the less fortunate all of the time and I've seen many a drunk in the town centre go in to a takeaway, buy a pizza, eat one bit of it and bin the rest and I'm sure there are plenty of people who have done that whilst a homeless person was looking on.

In fact, a few years ago when I was a student in Glasgow and homeless person was sitting outside the station asking for money and a woman walked up to him and tried to hand him a Greggs bag and a cup of tea..he told her to "F..k off, I dinae want that greggs crap, gies money" So here was a woman, handing over her lunch and getting it thrown back in her face...

So that might go someway as to explaining why I have the attitude I do, I can see it from both sides, the homeless are not always the nicest of people, same as the Tories...

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by destination now

I'm sorry, but english is not my native language. So I did not know if that word was condescending (spelling?)
I will say homeless instead if that makes you happy.

And seriously, do you really think the initiation was to just go stand in front of a homeless person and burn some money without any remarks or body language to show their dominance?
You really don't believe that do you?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

We are not all the same.
There are people who have empathy and those who don't.
Boasting about possessions is for the empty headed.
I don't even hang out with people who do that.
I'm not judging people based on their riches and status.
Character, attitude and wisdom are important to me.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

But the burning of the money was a deliberate act of antagonism , intended to get a response. The things you mentioned are not. That's the difference, but I don't think we are going to see eye to eye here, so I'm out of this debate.
edit on 24-2-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Oh and I do happen to pass an elderly homeless woman quite frequently.
When I'm not in a hurry, I'll ask her if she wants something to drink or eat.
I take her order and get it for her at the supermarket.
Have you ever done that?
Are we the same?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Maybe you should find out why she's homeless and see what you can do to really help her...

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Maybe you should stay on topic?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Maybe you should think about what you are saying before being all preachy..your previous post was hardly on topic either...

But guess you don't care enough about an elderly homeless woman to really care why she's on the streets, you just make yourself feel better by tossing her a few crumbs..if you're not in too much of a hurry...

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
This reminds me of American Psycho when Patrick Bateman holds the dollar in front of the beggars face.

Tainted ego's running wild...

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

No, I haven't missed the point at all and lets face it, it's not as if there are thousands of Oxford undergraduates running around burning £50 notes in front of the homeless, it's a few doing it and it the grander scheme of things, not really important, certainly not "breaking news" standard.

Well it seems to be you who is dramatising this... most people are simply asking the question “are these the types we want running the country?” But you then twist it by suggesting that we believe them to be the “epitome of all evil”

This story may not be “really important” to you, but does that mean we shouldn’t discuss it?? Do topics on ATS have to only revolve around extreme news? Would it only have been acceptable for us to discuss this if the homeless person was urinated on?? I really don’t see the point in what you are saying other then defending despicable actions with the excuse of “there are worse things out there”

Like I said before if they were going about urinating on them that would be different and as the poster AndyMayhew has just pointed out, people flaunt their wealth to the less fortunate all of the time and I've seen many a drunk in the town centre go in to a takeaway, buy a pizza, eat one bit of it and bin the rest and I'm sure there are plenty of people who have done that whilst a homeless person was looking on.

Again this makes no sense. It’s akin to someone getting robed and you telling them that it’s no big deal because they could have been beaten too. You cannot defend a wrong by simply citing something that’s worse.
And regarding food waste... It’s something that sickens me. There are millions of people starving in the world but we have a small percentage of spoilt brats who can treat food like it’s a disposable commodity. But again, you cannot use that to excuse the behaviour of these students. You want to discuss that? Fine! Create a thread about it. I promise I won’t come in to it and claim that it’s no big deal because students burn money!!

In fact, a few years ago when I was a student in Glasgow and homeless person was sitting outside the station asking for money and a woman walked up to him and tried to hand him a Greggs bag and a cup of tea..he told her to "F..k off, I dinae want that greggs crap, gies money" So here was a woman, handing over her lunch and getting it thrown back in her face...

So that might go someway as to explaining why I have the attitude I do, I can see it from both sides, the homeless are not always the nicest of people, same as the Tories...

So because there are some bad homeless people out there it means we can turn a blind eye to people doing bad things to the homeless??
Sorry but thats the same tired and worn out excuse that we hear from bigots all the time... “I don’t like **insert any minority/vulnerable group** because I had a bad experience with one once”

I worked with the homeless some years ago and of course they are not all lovely bubbly people. They sleep on the STREET in the middle of WINTER with future politicians burning money in front of them. Many have mental health issues and/or come from abusive backgrounds. Many have substance abuse issues. Many are ex service people who simply could not fit back in to society. Of course there not happy go lucky, cheeky but chirpy, spring in their step people. They are at ROCK BOTTOM! They need help and patience and understanding. And yes, some of them are beyond help. But if we want a decent society then, regardless of all this, we should still try to help them.

This is not a political argument so much as a human argument. A decent person does not taunt those that are disadvantaged or suffering. And surely we want decent people running the country?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

It is more wrong that other initiations because these people should be held to a higher standard. If they aspire to become the leaders of us all they need to understand this responsibly from the gate. These homeless people are the must vulnerable portion of society, something very wrong and hard to articulate in language how bad this is. It is an ineffable feeling that you seem to be missing.

Remember back when the foreclosures caused you Brits to march in London? The bankers burned ten dollar notes in the windows so these middle class people that lost homes would see it.

This is nothing less than stating "Let them eat cake" I say let them taste the guillotine. Its long past due for the biggest purging mankind has ever experienced.
edit on 24-2-2013 by LoneGunMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

This post contains the real deal, the truth in this matter. If I could give this post more than one star, I would collect a couple of universes and put them in.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by kudegras
reply to post by paraphi

I'd like to see them do that in front of me, I'd kick their teeth in. Never taught respect by their parents for people in a worse position than themselves. They could have bought the homeless guy a meal but instead they acted absolutely in contempt of a person less fortunate.
That's why the leaders of the world act as they do, they dont understand struggle street and never will.

You don't know who the people are, if indeed this is true. They set light to their own money, why the fudge do you think you have the right to 'kick their teeth in'? You are frankly being a little bit stupid, you want to spend 50 quid on the lottery and win nothing, have 25 games of pool, have, what, 15 pints on your shout... you would kick their teeth in then?

No, didn't think so.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I think you are misssing the point, I don't really care if anyone goes about burning their money, all I would think is that they are idiots and pretty juvenile. The fact that they were the future tory 'ruling class' is the one that really raised the bar.

I've had a look at some of the blogs and online columns about the club and the other sinister thing you get from these is the practice of omerta ( sorry if this is a bit overly dramatic, but that is what is written).
You have to wonder ( and purely speculate) what else this club got up behind closed doors if they were willing to treat the unfortunate in such a manner in public.

They saw it as their birthright to rule the country and yet they treat a begger/tramp/homeless person in this way.
You've admitted yourself that your views may be tinted but were their viws tinted as such? Do you think they performed a survey before a bit of ritual humiliation?

Jakey tramp...ok.

Druggie tramp...ok

Menally ill tramp... double ok

Homeless soldier tramp...erm..give him the 50

Overly agressive tramp...let's go and trash a MacDonalds.

And as far as flaulting your wealth, what a ridiculous argument. Nobody would expect people with money to hide away at home and chastise themselves because they have a ferrari. There is a difference between flaunting it and shoving it down your throat, I don't know if you can see that.

As Jessie J put it, it's not about the price tag. For me, it's about class ( and I'm not talking about social class) and these Bullingdon Boys have absolutely none. They are certainly not fit to run a country.

And on a lighter note, every second post of yours seems to about watersports...are you really sure you're not a conservative?

...or perhaps in the Royal Family?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Maybe you should think about what you are saying before being all preachy..your previous post was hardly on topic either...

But guess you don't care enough about an elderly homeless woman to really care why she's on the streets, you just make yourself feel better by tossing her a few crumbs..if you're not in too much of a hurry...

It wasn't my intention to preach.
I was trying to make a point.
Point being; we are not all the same.
Now could you please discuss the topic?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join