It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Bullingdon Club Member' DID Burn £50 In Front Of A Tramp, Student Alleges

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
The tramp was probably laughing his ass off at the losers that will be forced to enslave themselves to a corrupt system for the rest of their lives while he sits and collects £1,000 a day doing nothing.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
1) It's an initiation, a test. By necessity then, it must be an outrageous act. The kid didn't choose to do it, and I assume he doesn't make a habit of it (even the wealthy don't burn money). It's very stupid, of course, and rather disgraceful of the members who decided the initiation. But as far as initiations go - compared with, say, certain inner city gangs or tribal peoples - it's fairly tame.

2) Having lived, studied, and worked in Oxford, I can tell you that homelessness and begging in the city is a serious problem. At times, it is a struggle to walk down a single street without being approached by two or three people. And they can be very rude too, shouting their requests at you from across the street (since when did that become acceptable?) and mumbling insults if you don't cross their palm with silver. Not that this makes what the student did 'okay'. It's just an observation.

3) It wasn't the tramps money. The tramp neither gained nor lost; the student lost £50. Who's the idiot?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
1) It's an initiation, a test. By necessity then, it must be an outrageous act. The kid didn't choose to do it, and I assume he doesn't make a habit of it (even the wealthy don't burn money). It's very stupid, of course, and rather disgraceful of the members who decided the initiation. But as far as initiations go - compared with, say, certain inner city gangs or tribal peoples - it's fairly tame.

2) Having lived, studied, and worked in Oxford, I can tell you that homelessness and begging in the city is a serious problem. At times, it is a struggle to walk down a single street without being approached by two or three people. And they can be very rude too, shouting their requests at you from across the street (since when did that become acceptable?) and mumbling insults if you don't cross their palm with silver. Not that this makes what the student did 'okay'. It's just an observation.

3) It wasn't the tramps money. The tramp neither gained nor lost; the student lost £50. Who's the idiot?

So that makes it alright, then?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

It wasn't the tramps money. The tramp neither gained nor lost; the student lost £50. Who's the idiot?
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

We must make our mind up, first you called them homeless then on your third point you called them tramps.
Which is it then?

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Knobby

So what makes it alright? Did you read my post at all?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Points one and two.

If I'm wrong, please forgive me, but you do seem to be making excuses for this behavior?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knobby

Points one and two.

If I'm wrong, please forgive me, but you do seem to be making excuses for this behavior?

In point one I called the student's act "stupid" and "disgraceful", and in point two I made the comment "not that this makes what the student did 'okay'".

I can't be any clearer.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Point one, you firstly say it's an initiation? No?

Second point, you bang on for about 4/5 of your post about beggars before adding a wee disclaimer at the end.

You're fooling nobody.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
all im saying is

if its illegal to destroy money

then these lot should be charged....at the full extent of whatever that law is.

fact is, someone got caught....

they should make them an example to the rest....it wont stop them, but
we can have a laugh as well if one gets caught!

peace
edit on 23-2-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
all im saying is

peace

Even better would be they end up in jail with the very people they were tormenting, I would pay much more than 50 Pounds just to see them have to share a toilet with the "Tramps"

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

all im saying is

peace
with court costs of thousands of pounds per day all for burning a fifty quid note i am more worried about the billions they waste once in power

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by billdadobbie

we can do that quick justice BS like they did to the rioters

though...im sure....actually adamant

that if i started a petition, and asked people to donate money...lol...for these lot to go to court

id raise millions lololol haaaaaa

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Snobbery is the last refuge of the talentless jackass.

Intellectual and emotional "tramps" with nothing to offer anyone get together and form clubs of snobs.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

That's amazing you posted this. I was just listening to it a couple months back.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   

all im saying is

In the UK it is not illegal to burn money. Under the Currency and Bank Notes Act 1928 you can find yourself in hot water if you deface banknotes.

en.wikipedia.org... Anyone going to act with shock and horror at waste and affront of burning a million for “art”?

This is a non-story. A selfish act by some rich kids which gives some people the excuse to forget that other kids do things much worse all the time.

In another place a bunch of “working class” kids (and yes, this is all about class isn’t it?) would have beaten him up for a laugh. Homeless people are regularly abused and a burning 50 quid in their faces is likely to be the least of their worries. There are plenty of sources detailing the hate crime against the homeless and tragically it’s pretty endemic, especially in the US.

Regards

edit on 24/2/2013 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Geraputo
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

That's amazing you posted this. I was just listening to it a couple months back.

Great band mate, glad you enjoyed and it instantly came to my mind whilst reading this story

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

But it's not a silly thing in my opinion.

It's a blatant demonstration of the attitude of the upper classes, who will one day be in positions of authoritah!

Some of us know only too well where that attitude is fostered, exclusive public schools, like Oxford.

Yeah it's just a silly thing, until you realise that is only the tip of the titanic iceberg of the attitude the upper classes have for those they deem bellow them.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

The blue velvet jacket a bulingdon member must purchase to join the club is £3000. Their activities include smashing up restaurants and throwing money in the owners faces. It's a mentality that breeds contempt for those they consider beneath them. Normal people get thrown in jail, while its just seen as high jinx and blowing of steam for the upper class twits. Yet so many people make excuses for them and their behaviour.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
Why are people so vexed that young men and women have fun. To the OP, it may have been bad taste to burn 50 quid in front of a homeless person, but other people may have beaten him up or thrown a brick through the local off licence or pub window instead of trashing a posh resturant.

Why are people so astonished because some irresponsible rich kids do these things? Why do people selectively miss out that other people do things like this?

Regards

I was young once. I got drunk and done some pretty stupid things. Got into random fights, lied, cheated, danced terribly whilst thinking i was great. We all do these things regardless of our family’s income.

However, I did not belong to a "club" that organised abuse and required me to carryout unpleasant acts as part of the initiation. If I got drunk at a night club, and punched someone in the kebab shop afterwards, well that’s obviously not very nice at all. However, if that nightclub required me to punch a person in order to get into the nightclub then it is a premeditated and coldly thought out crime. It shows that the club itself is pretty horrendous and that my decision to go to the nightclub means that I had made the decision in advance, and while sober, to carry out said crime. It is no longer a random act of drunken stupidity, but an organised and premeditated act that is coldly thought out and planned.

And even when I was committing random act of stupidity, while young and drunk, it normally involved getting into a fight with someone on equal footing. Even when drunk I understood that were lines that you didn’t cross. Picking on the most vulnerable members of society was one of them lines. It appears that Cameroon and his ilk do not have these lines.

They probably all giggled with excitement (while sober) about what they were going to do that night. This shows that, while at university, they had deep seated loathing of the poor and felt a sense of superiority over those who are homeless.

And then, in adult life, they become leaders of the country and are responsible creating a just and fair society?

edit on 24-2-2013 by Muckster because: spelling

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Knobby

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Meh...a bunch of spoiled rich kids burning money in front of the homeless? Who cares? The homeless guy should get a job! Or get a sense of humour...

That's a counter-argument with tongue-in-cheek.

In fact it's the symbolism and the connotations of this act that deserves the disapproval. In symbolic terms, the privileged young rich display the ultimate contempt by outnumbering a poor man and then burning something he needs.

Needs leads on to the connotations. I mean, where is the empathy in these young guys? Doesn't it imply they have no empathy for the poor? Isn't that a colourful class distinction being acted out like a stage scene?! Doesn't the lack empathy go hand in hand with contempt and ridicule? Also doesn't the longevity of this tradition implicate a cultural norm amongst these guys that reaches down through the ages?

So yeah, I agree it's an depressing insight into the minds of these groups. At the same time, I'm not spluttering with rage and offended morals because it's just not that surprising is it? Maybe when I was a kid I thought that politicians worried about the lives of the poor. As an adult, we all know they don't actually care and see homelessness as being partially 'earned' by fecklessness. In fact, a lot of normal working people despise the homeless with about as much equality as they hate these idiots.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join