It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents Sue School For Making Children ‘Religious Guinea Pigs’ — By Teaching Them Yoga

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by Leuan

You know, we got yoga in our local gym, to tell the truth, it has nothing to do with religion and more to do with exercises.

I guess only if you are looking for to become a yoga master will you be introduced into the true teachings of yoga, what we got in the US in our gyms is nothing but a bastardized version of breathing exercises that are sold to the members as yoga.

you should go and take a class.

I never said I'm against exercising so don't put word in my mouth.

What if christians tried to teach your kids how to exercise at school? Without the teachings of course, that would never be allowed
edit on 23-2-2013 by Leuan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Leuan

How can Apollo be the anti-Christ when Greek mythology predates Christs' birth?

What if christians tried to teach your kids how to exercise at school? Without the teachings of course, that would never be allowed

Are you saying there are no Christian gym teachers?

edit on 23-2-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Leuan

Yes after I posted that I remember that the Egyptians were the "masters of astrology" they created the Zodiac or that is what it seems, but interestingly most of the words are from the Latin no Egyptian, because the Latin was considered one of the original languages and most of the languages after that had their roots in Latin.

But that is another thread another topic.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Yoga has nothing to do with religion. At least what they teach in India. Yoga integrates with any religion very well.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by Leuan

How can Apollo be the anti-Christ when Greek mythology predates Christs' birth?

Are you saying there are no Christian gym teachers?

I don't know, ask the people who wrote it into the bible, after john. You should know this, as you're obviously a mason.. Or a facade perhaps.
Apollyon is a symbolic being. There are many names for it, but I call it "The one without".
Hope that helps

ETA : Don't you find it messed up that there are people actively trying to spring the end times into fruition?
edit on 23-2-2013 by Leuan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Leuan

Actually I am a devoted exerciser no religious devoted, had done it all my life, sadly my children are now adults and they do exercises also.

I think exercises be yoga or anything else should given in all schools, exercises like it was back in the 60s and 70s when I was a primary school, we all know how bad the health of our young people is today because lack of proper physical education, most programs has been cut from the curiculum.

Our children are in dare need of some type of exercise routine as the food they are getting is nothing but crap and not helping either.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Leuan

I gave you a star for absurdity.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by Leuan

Actually I am a devoted exerciser no religious devoted, had done it all my life, sadly my children are now adults and they do exercises also.

I think exercises be yoga or anything else should given in all schools, exercises like it was back in the 60s and 70s when I was a primary school, we all know how bad the health of our young people is today because lack of proper physical education, most programs has been cut from the curiculum.

Our children are in dare need of some type of exercise routine as the food they are getting is nothing but crap and not helping either.

I agree, I'm not saying yoga is bad, I'm just recognizing that there are religious undertones to it. I hope we're not missing the point here.
If there is separation of church and state, then make a line, don't bend it.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

reply to post by Leuan

I gave you a star for absurdity.

I gave you a star because Jesus said we should

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
This is clearly done to stir things up, I had "square dancing" in Jr HS, I don't recall my parents being po'd about the whole hill-billy, hick, redneck thing.

It is very funny to me, and sad, that parents have children they cannot take care of without the State's help. They hand over their children to the State, without hesitation or forethought - as in prior to the shagging and getting knocked up and then expect to have some control over what the State does. The kids spend the majority of their first 18 years being cared for by the State, in exchange, the parents don't have to worry about providing for them in the way they did 100 years ago. The State for all its altruism on the matter, decides that all "students" will be steered toward the needs of the State - a win/win for both. So, the State needs truck drivers, walmart staff, police, military etc., and so, the State, doing what it needs to do, educates the children it cares for accordingly - can you imagine the chaos if there were zero dropouts left to defend the State, or fill the prisons? The few that demonstrate some proclivity for other State services, less needed jobs, will be provided for too.

The point is, how dare folks complain at all. They asked the State to take care of their kids, then they get pissed off when the State doesn't do it right? Why don't they each them themselves...., oh, wait, they never thought about that prior to spitting the kid out, they just assumed the State would be there to educated them in a manner what was in the child's best interest rather then the State's.

As for the Yoga, at it's core it is nothing more then group calisthenics, to that you can add on anything you like including Christian teachings. While the dingbat yoga nation has distorted the addons, I highly doubt this is a problem with the kids, as in the same school I'm sure the teach about the horrors of Radical Islamic Fundamentalist Terrorist who's religion tells a 1 billion members to kill everyone not like them - kind of like the folks who filed the lawsuit.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Leuan

I think you're confusing religious ritual practices, and generic health versions. I've heard MANY people try to claim that Tai Chi is a Taoist practice. I have no clue, perhaps it is with the proper teaching context. But as a generic method of low-impact exercise, I do see it as a very simple, easy on the body method for those unable to deal with higher impact exercise. If you're just running through the damn movements with no religious preconceptions, and no doctrine-drilling, how is this stuff harmful? You're building strength, toning muscles, getting great cardio, and burning calories. Frankly, I think it's far more harmful for students to sit on their asses all day in the classroom than 30 or even 60 minutes of exercise (be it weight lifting, tai chi, yoga, track, etc) from country/culture Blah-Blah is to them.

That said, have you ever tried yoga?? I gave Ashtanga yoga a whirl years back when I was younger & more limber. Dude, I was well toned and very strong. I wish I'd kept doing it! It's basically high impact strength training, and does it ever work.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

It is religious activity based on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. Just because it involves physical movement does not make it secular. There are actually different types of yoga. The physical yoga is Hatha Yoga. Other forms of yoga are Bhakti yoga(devotion), Kundalini yoga(raising of the kundalini), Agni yoga(yoga of the sacred fire), Raja yoga(control of the mind), Karma yoga(balancing karma through good works), Jnana(path of knowledge). Kriya yoga is a form of yoga which involves physical activity, taught by Self Realization Fellowship(Yogananda), and also by gurus in India. I myself was introduced to Kriya yoga while in India, however I started Hatha yoga many years ago.
I personally think all the paths of yoga are wonderful, but yes, they are all part of the Hindu tradition.

Because the Seculars sought to remove all traces of Christianity and religion in general from the public schools, they need to be aware that yogas are part of the Hindu system and thus are considered religious influence, and therefore if they are going to promote it, they should be aware that they are not heeding their own recommendations to remove all traces of religion from secular public schools.

It's pretty simple.

follow your own rules or don't have them.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Leuan

Yes, Leuan, Yoga is a beautiful technique that is teach by masters in the true sense and it takes a life time to master due to the spiritual angle of it.

But what we got in the US is nothing but a commercialized version of Yoga for sale.

I believe that children are not getting anything that has to do with spirituality in it, but I welcome the time in the day that they will be relaxing from any exercises and that include yoga.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Even casual practice of Hatha yoga can cause the kundalini to rise spontaneously. It happened with me. Tai Chi involves movement of energy though unseen, so yes if you practice it you are moving energy. It is better if you are aware of it though.

Hatha yoga and Tai Chi are both physical forms of meditation with movement. Yoga means union or to bind the body to the spirit.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
seeing as, at a conservative estimate, yoga is some 30 times older than the united states, perhaps yoga should be concerned that it is the guinea pig and the US is being tested in it.

maybe yoga should sue? hopefully some of the US's more prominent issues will not rub off on it.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Eating lunch is a practise within the Christian religion.

Calgary Christian Women's Fall Fair Lunch

Therefore it is a violation of children's right to religious freedom to force them to eat lunch. We should abolish the hour-long lunch break and replace it with more classes designed to indoctrinate children into a life of close-minded thinking and blind servitude.
edit on 23/2/2013 by Glass because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by Nyiah

Even casual practice of Hatha yoga can cause the kundalini to rise spontaneously. It happened with me. Tai Chi involves movement of energy though unseen, so yes if you practice it you are moving energy. It is better if you are aware of it though.

Hatha yoga and Tai Chi are both physical forms of meditation with movement. Yoga means union or to bind the body to the spirit.

You see, though, raising the "kundalini" only means anything to you if you believe in it. I believe it's bunk pseudoscience, and therefore perceive no religious or spiritual benefit. I do, however, feel I gained a tremendous physical benefit from the exercises in the first place.

Basically, if you believe in the woo-woo benefits, you might find yourself believing you're achieving them. If you're like me, and do not believe in that stuff, you merely get good exercise without any preconceived religious/spiritual expectations. Hence why I said if you just do the exercises without doctrine, that it's generic.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

If all prisons and schools taught meditation, there would no longer be a need for life/death sentences.

That is why they shut it down, it would have put them out of business.
edit on 23/2/2013 by Glass because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

reply to post by iwilliam

My assessment is correct, spiritual is not religious and exists only as a perspective. There's no theology or doctrine taught with Yoga.

Correct.

Yoga can and is used alongside spiritual and also as a part of some religious practices, but then again, so is walking, breathing in and out, sitting and standing.

Yoga is about calming the mind and body.

It's an aid to clearing the mind, calming extraneous mental noise (be good for kids with ADHD) and provoking feelings of peace and tranquility.

Not about religion at all.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX
It's an aid to clearing the mind, calming extraneous mental noise (be good for kids with ADHD) and provoking feelings of peace and tranquility.

Woah, wait just a minute. If we teach children a method of calming their minds, then who will buy ADHD medication!? How will Big Pharma be able to exploit the illnesses of society if we treat the root cause of the problem rather than the symptoms?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join