It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Varieties of ATS Religious Experience; or, Variations on a Theme

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

But then I wouldn't feel as "sophisticated" !!

Anyway, the dd-mm-yy makes better logical sense....
which brings us back to religion............in a sorta roundabout way.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
Anyway, the dd-mm-yy makes better logical sense....

Actually, as an engineer, I can tell you that the best format is YYYY-MM-DD. Why? Because it's self sorting

As a technical argument, yes, there are those who view date formatting as a religious issue, lol.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by mplsfitter539

But your beliefs contradict the very same source from which your god is taken! This is the crap that confuses the bejeezus out of me. How can you say there is one truth, one way, and then end up with 400 different denominations of the same exact truth? That's like 400 different organizations harping on about their different flavor of gravity.

But again, your beliefs contradict the source of your god.

What source did I contradict? If you are implying that I contradict the Word of God please share you ideas with me on how so. Oh and by the way maybe you did not pick up on it but I will point out again that I specifically did not claim to belong to a particular denomination. Actually it sounds to me like you and I may share a common thread on this issue.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

But you can (and I hope you will) give us the earlier details, and expand some more.

What, for example, do you consider 'the Word of God' to be?

I consider the Word of God to be all the books of the bible from Genesis to Revelation. All of the words are God's inspired words written by various individuals.

The early years were a waste of time for the most part. When I look back now I can plainly see that I was running from God. Things really began to turn around for me when I hit 40 and my wife of 10 years walked out on me taking my one and only daughter with her. I packed my things and moved to Costa Rica, learned to surf and became a surf bum. A few years ago I came back to visit and met someone that I want to spend the rest of my life with if she will have me. She has made me really take a good hard look at myself and I didn't like what I saw. During these past few years I have really been digging into things pertaining to Christianity. Some of the first things that I discovered were things that went against everything that I thought was the truth. I was a typical mainstream Christian who rarely read the bible and practiced all the the traditions that my parents did. I discovered the pagan roots of x-mas and easter and began to find in God's word where He condemns anything pagan.

Jeremiah 10
2 Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen..........

Then I began to understand deeper things and have found that when I seek answers without any preconceived ideas the truth appears in places I never saw it before. Understandably it is hard to shed so many untruths passed down from prior generations. For example when someone learns a second language they typically end up with a sever accent when speaking in their second tongue. The primary language learned effects the pronunciation of the second language. IMO learning to understand God is like learning a new language and trying desperately to shed the effects of the primary or first language learned. The only inspired Word of God was written in Hebrew and Greek. When I study my English translation I use a concordance to get a better idea of the original meaning.

A good word study was proof enough to me that I needed to dig deep to find the original meanings and not accept the interpretation of anyone else. I feel like I have just started down a rabbit hole and its gonna be a long journey.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

A good word study was proof enough to me that I needed to dig deep to find the original meanings and not accept the interpretation of anyone else. I feel like I have just started down a rabbit hole and its gonna be a long journey.

Yep, very deep and long rabbit hole. And one must move very carefully. Cross-referencing everything with secular scholarly work is also important. Comparative study of different religions helps a lot to find the kernels of truth.

If you're a reader, I have a few recommendations for ya, most everyone here knows which ones I promote, so I won't repost them now, but if you like, I can!

edit on 11-3-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

When I study my English translation I use a concordance to get a better idea of the original meaning.
You should actually learn the languages rather than just looking at a concordance.
A good way to learn them is at the Biblos web site.
interlinearbible.org...

Also, listen to it properly spoken by downloading free mp3 files from the Greek/Latin web site,
www.helding.net...
edit on 11-3-2013 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

They know how to properly speak ancient (dead) Latin now?
Did not know that!

Thanks for linkies.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Okay, just bumping the thread in hopes that the newest members will notice it and share their 'spiritual journeys' (if they are so inclined) with us.

There are new members every day, and believe me, I recall my first few days well!
Please consider adding to our catalogue of how those who participate in this forum came to where they are!

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I would be happy to participate in this project.

My brothers and I were forced to go to church on Sundays from the age of 5 or 6 or so. I am pretty sure it was just an excuse for our folks to kick us out of the house for a few hours on Sunday mornings. Oh, My mother was raised baptist, I think in the same church they sent me to. My step-father was raised catholic. I have no idea what religion my biological father was invested in.

We went to Faith Baptist Church in the suburbs of Philadelphia. None of us really enjoyed going to the church. The kids that had parents who were deacons, pastors or otherwise very active in the church were very elitist and conceited. That whole "My poop doesn't stink" attitude. Which made it difficult to buy in to the whole message they were trying to push when they were acting like tool bags.

The last straw for me was the baseball little league they had set up through several other churches in the area. Of course the active people in the church were all the coaches and umpires, and their kids got all the good positions. Anyway, That year I played I did not get out once...not once. Did I get to bat in the championship game? Nope.

I know that might sound petty, but remember I was like 10 yrs old at the time. Anyway, I thought it spoke a lot about their character collectively, so I decided I was done with these people. Luckily for me, my folks let us decide whether or not we went to church any more that year.

After that I had nothing to do with any religion until I was 14 or so. I got interested in the Church of Satan founded by Anton Lavey. I found it interesting because of their message of thinking for yourself, but looking back I probably was only into it to be contrary to everything else. Regardless, I think all their pomp and ceremony cheapened the message and turned me off of it.

Since then I have really had no interest in religion. I wouldn't call myself an atheist, because I think it's possible there could be a god. But I wouldn't call myself agnostic either, because I just don't care if a god exists or not. I think it's irrelevant. Everything is the way it is.
If there is a god?...OK fine. If not?..Just as well, it changes nothing. I don't have any use for gods or religions. I don't need a god, book, or another person to tell me to do the right thing for the right reason.

With all that being said, I have many friends who are very religious, and we get along just fine. I don't hold their beliefs against them, and they don't hold my lack of interest against me.
edit on 23-3-2013 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Thank you so much for contributing!

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

It was my pleasure, and it was fun remembering all that went on back then.

Question.
Are you planning on writing a book or paper about the religious tendencies of conspiracy theorists or anything like that?...Just curious.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I might. Do you think it would be worthwhile? Of course, everyone would be anonymous if I did so.
I've thought about it. Haven't done anything serious with the notion, though.
Interesting topic and survey, at least.

EDIT:
Plus, I'd need to take care of 'informed consent'....which means everyone who contributed has to say,"Okay, that's cool. Write a book/study about it."

I haven't done that (ask everyone that), so, for now, it's just an informal ATS kinda thing.

For members to peruse and get to know us a bit better.

edit on 23-3-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
It was thoughtful to make this thread.

I believe we have a common receiver.

I am a Muslim.

IMO , first step to find god with my heart , is that I should try to get into a void , even empty from myself ,and from what I used to like , what I used to do , who I used to support , who I used to love , what I used to plan , where I used to live , what I used to believe ....

Then the next step is to be ready to face what ever the truth is , whether sweet or bitter , familiar or strange , individual or social ,..... Then I will be ready to accept it.

Then the next step is searching.

And next steps come to you.

Those are the steps that one empty heart can pursue.

But the hearts that used to be occupied with truth , have many steps to follow to get to being in void and free judgement.

Because they are like a rubbed person who can not trust anyone , but those with empty healthy heart , are like a strong teenage who is ready to trade and win.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mideast

Thanks for your participation, mideast.
I have a feeling I'm becoming a 'persona non grata' around here.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Huh? What's up with that?

You'll always be 'persona grata' by me, my dear WT, even if we do disagree about everything under the sun

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Thank you, adj.
Hope you and Oscar are well. Thanks for your feedback.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I was brought up going to the Church of Ireland and went for 16 years I was in the choir from 10 and confirmed at 13.

I hated going but every Sunday my dad shouted Mandy Mo get up for church and I was like oh no not another Sunday.
At 16 dad shouted in Mandy Mo get up for church and I shouted back I'm not going and that was the end of the Church of Ireland (Though my children where baptised there) forgot to say, my mother died when I was 3 so my dad was also my mum lol you wanna have seen his face when I ran into him at 11 and told him I was dying
he quickly called my big sister to give me a run down of the birds and bee's!!

Right enough of my weird family life cos that's another story and on to business.
When I was about 35-36 (I'm now 51 but look 21 lol) I had this dream about Jesus carrying the cross on his way to the crucifiction it was so real he was coming up steps his head was bleeding and his wee body was covered in blood and wounds.
I ran over to help him as he fell on his knee's I remember I was wearing oldie worldie clothes cos I took a bit of my shawl and went to wipe his face with it but someone behind me (a male) started to pull be back and into the crowd, as I was being pulled away I saw a man running over to help Jesus back on his feet.

I woke up crying just like I was doing in my dream and I've never forgotten it, even though it was sad it was also up lifting.

Then one night I was watching a program on tv about Christs last days and it showed the way he might have walked on his way to the crucifiction and guess what I saw the street that was in my dream it nearly floored me.

I feel blessed to have seen this and I really think that Jesus was showing me that I was there and to wise up which I did a bit, though I always believed in God and Jesus I just didn't go to church as I never had money to give them anyway lol.

I had another wee dream that I told my aunt about and that dream was also in the bible but that's for another day, its 3am in Ulster and my eyes won't stay open and my brains fell asleep before me

If there is lots of mistakes in this I'm so sorry and will fix it tomorrow so forgive me and I enjoyed the chat

May your God go with you and keep you safe xx

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   

reply to post by mideast

Thanks for your participation, mideast.

Not all kinds of loneliness are bad.

peace.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ballymoney50

Hi, ballymoney!
We grew up in the same decades...but different places. Very nice to meet you, and welcome to ATS!

Thanks so much for sharing your story. Hope you will come back and tell us your other dream and more about yourself...
Sounds like you had a powerful one with Jesus there! Oh my!

One of my kids - the eldest, was baptized. The younger was not. Are your kids church-goers? Thanks for posting here.
~wild

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ballymoney50
I ran over to help him as he fell on his knee's I remember I was wearing oldie worldie clothes cos I took a bit of my shawl and went to wipe his face with it but someone behind me (a male) started to pull be back and into the crowd, as I was being pulled away I saw a man running over to help Jesus back on his feet.

Interesting.

You dreamed that you were St. Veronica, who, tradition holds, defied the Romans to wipe the face of Christ as he carried his cross to Calvary. She is commemorated in station #6 of Stations of the Cross.

St. Veronica - Saints & Angels

(Cue someone to pipe up and claim that you're the reincarnation of Veronica, lol.)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join