Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by aem56

what is the funniest thing that has ever happened that you can share without harming anyone?

Meeting some other staff members in person.

What is the scariest thing with same parameters as above

Meeting some other staff members in person

How do you deal with the huge need for patience that a moderator is reqired to have.

Log off and take some time, come back refreshed and ready...

What do you do to clear your head of the "too much information" syndrome

Again, log off... listen to music, watch old Sitcoms...

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

What, to date, has been your most rewarding experience as a member of ATS staff?

Helping out, keeping the board going and an enjoyable place to discuss things.
Also, getting to know other staffers, they're family now.

If you had a chance to speak to the younger version of you as the younger version was just joining the site, what would you tell them?

Be patient and remember, everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it.

What would you say is the most difficult part of being a staffer?

Having to ban someone. While there are times when it's absolutely unavoidable, I don't like it.

If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be and why?

Nakked Fridays !!!.... Seriously, There's so much, I can't choose one thing.

And just for fun: what's your favorite book?

I don't read alot of books.... so... The Bible

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
reply to post by Rising Against

Anyway, enough of that. Is Elevated One really a model, or was she just pulling our chain?

Well not professional or anything.....

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Question for any mod:

Have you ever had to delete a thread that you truly found amusing or interesting?

Yes. However ATS is a family friendly site, so sometimes, the threads just gotta go...

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

thnaks now that you have kindly answered my questions twice I shall never try and get you to flesh out your stories again...(meant with a huge smile)

God knows when I was a bartender I coudn't tell some stuff either

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by aem56

It's all good !!!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by aem56
to be fair the print and contrast colors make it so hard to read that the first day I inadvertently pushed the "this post> button thinking I was marking it for me to read later.I am serious even with enlarging fonts ..seeing print is pretty darn hard I'd surmise only folks under fifty could read it.. I cannot see folks info under their names at all

other than enlarging my font.. I shall just avoid long thread.s..(most of them)

Well, the contrast thing might be helped with adjusting your screens colours a bit.

Have you tried "holding down the CTRL key on your keyboard, and then roll your mouse-wheel upwards", that will enlarge the webpage, which I sometimes use when I struggle to read something.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by natalia

Misery is number one and Pet Cemetery is number two in my books

Back to reading the thread here.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Ok just finished reading and enjoyed every page of it....(a must say since its all mods)

Couple of questions if I may?

Is there any system in place for marking potential deranged posters so they can be monitored?

What is the absolute limit for being re-instated after being banned (how many times)

Have any of the Mods ever felt they were being approached by an outside influence? (media/Government etc)

I thank you all for your hard work and dedication and refusal to stray from the T&C and in my opinion that is what keeps things nice and clean here.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Is there any system in place for marking potential deranged posters so they can be monitored?

I assume that members identified as such are put on the potential moderator's list.

What is the absolute limit for being re-instated after being banned (how many times)

Not enough variables to answer, or put another way, each case is handled with staff consensus, taking into consideration the person's ATS history and the circumstance(s) that involved the action. Nobody on staff gets any thrill from banning members, and we attempt to do everything we can to pull people back from the edge; sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Have any of the Mods ever felt they were being approached by an outside influence? (media/Government etc)
Nope, no more than you are by the things you read here and decide upon yourself.

I thank you all for your hard work and dedication and refusal to stray from the T&C and in my opinion that is what keeps things nice and clean here.
It's the members that make this all work, and we're just part of the membership. Without members alerting staff of problems, we'd be hard pressed to keep a semblance of civility.

I love it here, and thank you all for putting up with me.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Question.

If you disagree with a mod's decisions, do you have recourse? An appeals process, etc?

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

If you disagree with a mod's decisions, do you have recourse? An appeals process, etc?

Absolutely.

Use the Complaint feature.

access the ATS Complaints/Suggestions tool by selection Tools from your menu bar and then complaint from the list of options below that toolbar.

This goes to a board visible by all mods, and if another mod feels the decision was wrong, or in a gray area, it can be (and is) discussed by a group of mods (who happen to be on at the time of the discussion). This process can be as simple as everyone agreeing the action was just, or an Admin ruling it wasn't, or as complex as numerous U2U's to the complaining member, back and forth, to truly decide what action is required.

This actually happens more than you'd think, especially if a long thread with multiple members' input, or with a very hot/taboo topic, etc. The main rule we all apply is "What is in the best interests of the site and the membership?" If the action passes that muster, then it is done.

Note, you may or may not get feedback regarding a complaint. If you don't get feedback, it generally means other mods agreed with the action. If you complain, and don't get feedback, I'd first recommend contacting the mod who took the action. If still not happy, contact another mod to look into it.
edit on 6-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Not much to say you mods do a great job here on ats just wanted to say thank you for the time and effort you people put in to keep this site running at top notch . great community of dysfunctional reminds me of my family

side note the other night my wife was arguing / debating some one than realized the next day it was a super mod than she got all sheepish and worried I laughed at her . I said not like he / she will ban you for having a different opinion on a matter .

quick question now i just thought of . my wife and I share a computer so i guess we have two accounts on the same ip address , could this ever cause a problem on ats .

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave
side note the other night my wife was arguing / debating some one than realized the next day it was a super mod than she got all sheepish and worried I laughed at her . I said not like he / she will ban you for having a different opinion on a matter .

Was it me?
That's all good. I like people that engage in cogent debate. We all do.

quick question now i just thought of . my wife and I share a computer so i guess we have two accounts on the same ip address , could this ever cause a problem on ats .

I don't see how. When I joined ATS there were 3 of us from one family on here.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
How do you get to be a mod ?
Are you asked ?
Cody

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

How do you get to be a mod ?
Are you asked ?

Yes, you are asked.

Generally, when the admins determine more mods (or super mods) are needed....there will be a thread in the mod forums for current mods and admins to make recommendations. Those choices are then tallied and the invites are extended... Not all even agree the first time it's offered. Generally speaking, don't ask to be one...that's the best way to never get asked, hehe...

The biggest things we all look for, are:

1) A collection of posts showing the member is passionate and knowledgeable, and shows the ability to research subjects.

2) The ability to keep cool in threads, and maintain dignity and poise when dealing with other members who aren't.

3) The ability to calm threads down, even if not trying (especially if not trying).

4) Demonstrating fairness

5) Demonstrating a love for the board, and what it is about.

6) Being here a while helps, especially if you've always shown the above qualities in your posting habits.

Super mods are picked from existing mods, by the admins and other super mods.

On the above question about same IPs...the only time it would be an issue, is if one of you were banned, and then you tried to add another account with that IP.

new topics
top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join