It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
reply to post by cody599

How are the silver and gold borders awarded?

The top 50 members, as shown here in the WATS list, all have gold status. It's determined via the mount of flags you have, but with an influence from the amount of stars and posts you have too.

Silver is the next 50 members but there is no actual list of them.

I'll buy the beer

Agreed.

edit on 24-2-2013 by Rising Against because: Blonde moment.

It's gonna be long road then
I'll start a brewery it'll be cheaper

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

I vote for IkNOwSTuff's cat.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

NOOOO

It will be the object of our constant and complete obsessions with cats. It will live a life of bread on its head, be dressed in all sorts of dolls clothing, and will be tasked with all sorts of other meme generating tasks. It will die a circus freaks death, tormented and exhausted from the many years of LOL generation....

How about a rabbit? We like rabbit holes....

EDIT:
OH wait!

How about we use beezer and just dress him up in those sexy bunny costumes and take pictures of him holding an ATS logo......

edit on 24-2-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

It will be the object of our constant and complete obsessions with cats. It will live a life of bread on its head, be dressed in all sorts of dolls clothing, and will be tasked with all sorts of other meme generating tasks. It will die a circus freaks death, tormented and exhausted from the many years of LOL generation....

...And the negatives are?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

I dressed Beezer up once after he lost a bet.

He cried.

I don't recommend it.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
while I realize all boards can become insular.. and I realize new folks don't have their post answeredf usually..I thought my questions fairly interesting and harmless. I'd like an answer please.. If the board has old people here that have taken on new names.. is this why you treat new folks as if we are redheded step children and our posts are ignored? I don't mind .Just think it is rude

One thing the internet makes it easy to do... be dismissive to people.. tis why my pc gets mothballed every spring

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by aem56
while I realize all boards can become insular.. and I realize new folks don't have their post answeredf usually..I thought my questions fairly interesting and harmless. I'd like an answer please.. If the board has old people here that have taken on new names.. is this why you treat new folks as if we are redheded step children and our posts are ignored? I don't mind .Just think it is rude

One thing the internet makes it easy to do... be dismissive to people.. tis why my pc gets mothballed every spring

Sorry you feel like that

I reply to posts I find interesting regardless of when the member joined, I very rarely check the sign up date, it's irrelevant to me.
Sure I have some favorite friends that I check out to see if they've posted recently but if their thread doesn't interest me I don't reply for the sake of it.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by aem56

Apologies. It was not a case of ignoring you. It was simply only opening this thread when I noticed a new post was made to it. A time constraint and nothing more. Nothing personal and nothing to do with new vs old membership.

Having said that, I'll try to answer your questions now.

what is the funniest thing that has ever happened that you can share without harming anyone?

ATS specific?

As moderators we use drop down menus, similar to the ones you see in the member avatar areas. I do not think that there is a single staffer who has never, accidentally and without realizing it, sought to perform one action and ended up clicking upon another. IE a staffer goes to move a thread - and loses it.

When that happens we have to post a very embarrassing request, in the "public" moderators forum for help finding said lost thread.

Non moderator? Another thing that most ATSers can sympathize with. While in the "create thread" field, instinctively trying to use the enter key as a way of tabbing through fields - resulting in posting not only ONE empty thread... but two of them at once.

What is the scariest thing with same parameters as above

Actually the big mistakes are usually easy to cope with. Members tend to really understand if you send them a message saying "Mea culpa". The "fun" part is when you remove a post that is very obviously in need of removing - and you try to be nice about it by using a lesser removal method than is actually warranted - and then end up in a three week long argument with the member because they feel violated.

That's always a cringe worthy hoot.

How do you deal with the huge need for patience that a moderator is reqired to have.

Nobody has previously informed me of a need for patience... maybe that explains the above cringe worthy issue.

What do you do to clear your head of the "too much information" syndrome

I used to drink. Quit that. Then I tried distracting myself with other websites... got banned from them all for carrying my ATS stress with me wherever I went. Tried to torture a kitten once, but davespanners suddenly appeared at my door and tased me. I awoke to find both him and the kitten gone.

Now? Now I have a mantra... just words on a screen.... they're just words on a screen.

We good?

~Heff

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
thanks to both of you (if it was two different posters)..one thing I can tell you.. your demographic may well get younger as folks with older eyes cannot see the print as readily.. is there anyway at all of making it easier to read.. (other thn enlarginbg font which I can do myself) one day you too may well be old.. *L* Meaning this kindly and with a smile)

I was looking for more interesting replies. However, thinking about it , being moderator has to be like watching paint dry at times. ESpeciallly when you have anyone who would argue for three pages.. NOT me.. the ignore button for those that argue is my motto..
Thanks for the reply nt to worry you guys will wear me out in a few days anbd then you'll wonder why I haven't answered mine.. I enjoy the intellectual stimulation of the web.. Yet live for spring when the pc gets lonely) while I grow vegies

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
Intrepid: You briefly were not a mod (unless I'm mistaken) for awhile, any particular reason?

A couple of years ago I was having some serious RL issues and it was affecting my ability to moderate properly so I stepped down until life sorted itself out.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Actually the big mistakes are usually easy to cope with. Members tend to really understand if you send them a message saying "Mea culpa". The "fun" part is when you remove a post that is very obviously in need of removing - and you try to be nice about it by using a lesser removal method than is actually warranted - and then end up in a three week long argument with the member because they feel violated.

Wow, members have actually gotten bent out of shape for a removed post and fussed about it for 3 weeks?

When I first started posting, yeah I had a few posts removed until I learned, through trial and error of course, most of the do's and don'ts.
But I knew I had violated the House Rules, so to speak, so other than feeling embarrassed, I made sure that it didn't happen again.
There was one time when I was warned, I asked the MOD what I was penalized for and once he/she told me, that was all I needed, end of subject.......but I had to ask so I would know not to do it again in the future.

--------------------------

I guess I do have a question.....

Are there members that use the ALERT button too excessively to the point of being annoying.....
You know, "Oh hell, that's so-and-so again......now what have they got their panties in a wad about this time?!"

HA.... kinda like crying Wolf too many times.

Do ya'll flip a coin to see who gets to answer the 'alert'?

Just curious.......

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by OutonaLimb

Some aspects of that question I cannot answer, as I can only speak for myself - and not for the TAN network. What I will say is that the spirit of the question is largely made moot by professionalism and ethics. My own opinions about any given subject have no bearing upon the T&C's nor upon my ability to enforce them.

IE when I was in management, if the company I worked for said nobody could smoke on the property, then nobody smoked on the property even though I, myself, am a smoker. Their house, their rules. The same applies here.

Now, on a personal level?

1. I believe that actual airplanes hit on 9/11
  2. I don't think that chemtrails are real
  3. I don't think Sandy Hook was staged
  4. I am personally positive that Hitler was a douchebag

~Heff

i suppose there needs to be a definition of exactly what ATS is in order
to have a definite context for your words. but not for me. i'm good.

as per your personal views, they mirror just what i have come to expect from ATS
management and ALL it's moderators. uncanny.

btw...wrong on all four, and what's more, i am pretty sure you know it.

one more thing heff.

will you miss it, the 'old' ATS?

no doubt(s).
edit on 24-2-2013 by OutonaLimb because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

I guess I do have a question.....

Are there members that use the ALERT button too excessively to the point of being annoying.....
You know, "Oh hell, that's so-and-so again......now what have they got their panties in a wad about this time?!"

HA.... kinda like crying Wolf too many times.

Do ya'll flip a coin to see who gets to answer the 'alert'?

Just curious.......

Yes and no. And not easy to explain. But I'll try...

1) If a member comes upon a thread that has spiraled out of control and has pages of bad posts? Alerting every single post is not necessary. Simply alerting the first bad post and explaining that it all goes downhill from there - and that there are a series of posts staff should look at, past the alert point, is perfect!

2) Something that happens from time to time is "revenge alerting". Staff removes a post from a member, for whatever reason, the member becomes angry and indignant, and then begins to seek out posts to serial alert - posts the member feels are just as bad as the one they had removed.

This is pretty much a sure fire way to get, first, a warning from a staff member to stop, and then a posting ban if that warning isn't heeded.

3) Alerting as a debate tactic. IE engaging in underhanded debate tricks, and then alerting anyone who replies in kind. Sometimes this is a form of trolling, and sometimes, I suppose, we just tend to not see our own wrongs. But this type of thing is fairly common.

Long story short - if a member is using the alert button correctly - and for the right reasons? Doesn't matter if they alert one post or one hundred, in a given day. Each alert will be dealt with as best as staff can.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutonaLimb

Between the T&C's and the few Board and Business questions threads that address specific issues ( Such as the one about SH, the one about avatar guidelines, the one about Hitler, etc. ) there is a definition IMO.

As for what ATS is? It's a moderated discussion board.

as per your personal views, they mirror just what i have come to expect from ATS

I don't agree at all. The staff is made up of people with a broad spectrum of beliefs on a broad range of topics and from a broad range of backgrounds. The caveat that I touched upon in my initial reply to you is that, no matter what our personal beliefs happen to be, we have a clearly defined set of rules to enforce. Our personal feelings or thoughts have no bearing upon that whatsoever.

I have had to remove posts that I sympathized with more than a few times. It's never a difficult decision as the rules are clearly defined.

Opinions and interpretations. I feel like I am right in my personal beliefs, just as you feel that you are.

one more thing heff.

no doubt(s).

I'm not a believer in "The old ATS". I tend to believe that ATS is pretty much the same as it was when I first got here, more or less. Sure it's busier today than it used to be. Sure it's a bit more graphically pleasing. There are things that faded away, like some of the media productions that ATS did. Some new things too. But, generally speaking - not much different at all.

I think it is us who change. Just like a relationship with a real person - in the beginning it's all magic and everything is new, the so-called "Honeymoon" phase. As time goes on, well familiarity breeds contempt. The newness wears off. We tend to become a bit jaded. And, just as with most real life relationships, we have this strange tendency to blame the other when this happens. it's just a part of human nature for this to happen.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Thanks for taking the time to answer.....

I still can't believe that some members get upset about warnings and also "revenge alerting"....
That is just to comical..........

[Well, for me it is, maybe not for you MODS......./tries to stifle snicker...he-he
]

I shall let you get back to your patrolling of the threads, 'Mr.Daryl'

Much respect~
snarky

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Between the T&C's and the few Board and Business questions threads that address specific issues ( Such as the one about SH, the one about avatar guidelines, the one about Hitler, etc. ) there is a definition IMO.

As for what ATS is? It's a moderated discussion board.

I don't agree at all. The staff is made up of people with a broad spectrum of beliefs on a broad range of topics and from a broad range of backgrounds. The caveat that I touched upon in my initial reply to you is that, no matter what our personal beliefs happen to be, we have a clearly defined set of rules to enforce. Our personal feelings or thoughts have no bearing upon that whatsoever.

I have had to remove posts that I sympathized with more than a few times. It's never a difficult decision as the rules are clearly defined.

Opinions and interpretations. I feel like I am right in my personal beliefs, just as you feel that you are.

one more thing heff.

no doubt(s).

I'm not a believer in "The old ATS". I tend to believe that ATS is pretty much the same as it was when I first got here, more or less. Sure it's busier today than it used to be. Sure it's a bit more graphically pleasing. There are things that faded away, like some of the media productions that ATS did. Some new things too. But, generally speaking - not much different at all.

I think it is us who change. Just like a relationship with a real person - in the beginning it's all magic and everything is new, the so-called "Honeymoon" phase. As time goes on, well familiarity breeds contempt. The newness wears off. We tend to become a bit jaded. And, just as with most real life relationships, we have this strange tendency to blame the other when this happens. it's just a part of human nature for this to happen.

thank you for the courteous replies hefficide.

but do you think i don't know the reasons behind the extraordinary and incongruous
approach ATS has taken toward any and all sandyhoax threads (while leaving the closed
threads prominently advertised on the homepage)? or why the likes of the 'OPPT scam'
thread was blatantly artificially boosted with flags and keep on the front home page for so long?

well i do know heff, and when i say the 'old' ATS, i think you know better what i mean.
that's why i used inverted commas.

will there be even any need for the 'new' one shortly?

i very much doubt it.

anyway, thanks for the (partial) education, and all the best to you and yours.
edit on 25-2-2013 by OutonaLimb because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
to be fair the print and contrast colors make it so hard to read that the first day I inadvertently pushed the "this post> button thinking I was marking it for me to read later.I am serious even with enlarging fonts ..seeing print is pretty darn hard I'd surmise only folks under fifty could read it.. I cannot see folks info under their names at all

other than enlarging my font.. I shall just avoid long thread.s..(most of them)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I do not currently have a Snoopy tat... however.... now you all know what you
can pitch in and get me for my Birthday...

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

What, to date, has been your most rewarding experience as a member of ATS staff?

Tough one, many to choose from... I liked the conspiracy celeb Q&As we've done, debates, and just generally helping out members.

If you had a chance to speak to the younger version of you as the younger version was just joining the site, what would you tell them?

Check, and recheck your facts before you hit post.

What would you say is the most difficult part of being a staffer?

Disciplining members, never fun....

If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be and why?

Run by people, not corporations. (because we are the ones who have to live in it)

And just for fun: what's your favorite book?

Wow, that's tough too...as I'm an avid reader. I'd have to go with a favorite author vs. a book...HPL. (Lovecraft). Nice and short stories, but it takes you so out of the real world... I can read them over and over again, and still take something new from the stories.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

Wow, members have actually gotten bent out of shape for a removed post and fussed about it for 3 weeks?

we've got some members who, for years, will gripe about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join