Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I bounced this off of the staff this week and everyone seemed quite into the idea. You may only know most of the staff from their moderating the board and little else. There are obviously some that you will know more than others. This thread is for the ALL the members to get to know each other better, have some fun and just chill. It's not going to be easy on this end. Just check out the lunch room:

But we'll do our best.

Lastly, if you have a beef with a staffer, take it to them. This is for fun, not to complain.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Its kind of like the whole circle of trust thing??

What happens in this thread stays on this thread kind of deal?

If it is this should be getting interesting

i dont got beef with anyone on here i think

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Question. Do all the mods actually meet in a physical room, face to face? Do you go to picnic lunches?

Do you talk about us peons and the crazy stuff we do (in a good way, I mean).

Is Heff as fun in real life as on the boards?

Is working with SO scary?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Question. Do all the mods actually meet in a physical room, face to face? Do you go to picnic lunches?

We've had gatherings. Not just staff. I've met about 20 members.

Do you talk about us peons and the crazy stuff we do (in a good way, I mean).

We talk about EVERYTHING.

Is Heff as fun in real life as on the boards?

When he's not constipated.

Is working with SO scary?

A bit but he's getting used to it.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Does elevatedone have a Snoopy tattoo?
Does Heff see someone professionally for his Daryl fixation?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Great answers.

Harder ones....how do you decide who gets banned? I know it's a group decision, but is it a majority vote?

What makes you decide to applaud a post?

How do you get picked to be a moderator, and why would you want that job?

Don't answer if it will cause problems, not trying to get anyone in trouble.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Does elevatedone have a Snoopy tattoo?
Does Heff see someone professionally for his Daryl fixation?

You'll have to wait on them for those answers. Snoopy tattoo.

*shudders*

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Each staff member has their own ideas on applauding a post. For me, if I've seen a real effort being put in, I'll applaud regardless of opinion.

The effort to make ATS better should, and always will be, applauded.

Well, we look at who most enjoys being routinely attacked, insulted, and called horrible names etc.. If you like that kinda thing, we'll be saying welcome aboard.
edit on 23-2-2013 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against

Each staff member has their own ideas on applauding a post. For me, if I've seen a real effort being put in, I'll applaud regardless of opinion.

The effort to make ATS better should, and always will be, applauded.

Well, we look at who most enjoys being routinely attacked., insulted, and called horrible names etc.. If you like that kinda thing, welcome aboard.
edit on 23-2-2013 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

(Shudders). No thanks. I think moderating would be a hard, thankless job.

Do you feel constrained in what you can post, the whole set a good example thing?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
what is the funniest thing that has ever happened that you can share without harming anyone?

What is the scariest thing with same parameters as above

How do you deal with the huge need for patience that a moderator is reqired to have.

What do you do to clear your head of the "too much information" syndrome

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

how do you decide who gets banned? I know it's a group decision, but is it a majority vote?

It ALWAYS determined by the T&C. We try to work with members that are having problems but some don't want it. Banning is a last resort. We don't like it and usually takes much conversation before it goes down that road. Majority vote? No. Unanimous? No again as we have so many different types of people and experience here but a VAST majority would work.

Differs from mod to mod. I've applauded members who's contribution was good BUT they held their head and didn't get into petty bickering. That's good for ATS.

Probably the most exhaustive thing we do as staff. The vetting process is long. It take a certain mentality to do this job. This is about the only thing we do that is unanimous. It has to be. These are the people that are chosen to work for the membership and it isn't always pretty.

Why do it? It certainly has it's days when you want to ban yourself but there are days when you show a member the ATS way and they are cool and become excellent members. That's the payback. IMO it's worth the hassles.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Do you feel constrained in what you can post, the whole set a good example thing?

Yes. I call them the "handcuffs". Some can't handle them. There have been a few that were promoted that couldn't handle the handcuffs and preferred to post as members. Like I said above, it takes a certain mentality.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Well, if I was to say no I would be lying.

Staff member's are just that.. members. And we were members before we were made staffers too. We're just like everyone else really and we quite naturally get annoyed and frustrated at times too, especially as the moderator tag acts like a target on our backs sometimes.

I think, personally, that a lot of members do also forget that we are just regular people with regular lives just like every other regular person out there. That's just what we are. But then again at the same time, despite the downside, it is a great job to have. This is my favourite site after all and I'm very glad and happy to be in a position to try and help make it better whenever possible. It's worth the hassle we do routinely get.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
I think, personally, that a lot of members do also forget that we are just regular people with regular lives just like every other regular person out there. That's just what we are.

MOST of us. Then there's semperfortis:

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Here's a good one for you Intrepid, or anyone else that wants to tackle it. Have you ever had to apply the T&C to another Mod posting as a member?

___________________________________________________________________________________
reply to post by Rising Against

And one for RA. How can we get you to start posting threads again. I miss those masterpieces of yours. That goes for other mods too. Except Heff. Being a mod doesn't seem to have slowed him down much, thankfully.

edit on 2/23/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
Here's a good one for you Intrepid, or anyone else that wants to tackle it. Have you ever had to apply the T&C to another Mod posting as a member?

Yes but it doesn't happen often as we keep ourselves to a high standard. Still human though. In fact we banned an Admin about 7 years ago that was abusing his position. We DO police ourselves.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Yes. We actually all live in a house together here

One of our main issues as mods is certain people that will remain nameless hogging all the hot water in the morning .
Glares at RA
edit on 23/2/13 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

And one for RA. How can we get you to start posting threads again. I miss those masterpieces of yours. That goes for other mods too. Except Heff. Being a mod doesn't seem to have slowed him down much, thankfully.

Thanks man.

I'm not going to lie though, that's why this thread is here, to get honest opinions from all - I'm a little bit tired of some of the attacks posted. Like I said before, with a moderator tag, there's a target on your back and I'm a regular person like everyone else, I grow tired of them before long. Those who do try to derail a thread that took a long time to write up forces you to stop and ask yourself if it's worth the time. So, yeah, I've stopped for a while.

However, that's not to say I'm not trying to make ATS better still. I'm just trying to do that in a different way. For example now I'm spending most of my time working on the Research Group Forum which is currently being revamped. That's my personal attempt to try and help bring absolute quality content back to ATS.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I'm loving the thread so far. I always enjoy watching the staff interact with the regular members on a casual note. It's something like watching the President go to the bar and drop his professional act. Beautiful to watch, and profound to learn from.

Here's a few questions for each of the staffers:

What, to date, has been your most rewarding experience as a member of ATS staff?

If you had a chance to speak to the younger version of you as the younger version was just joining the site, what would you tell them?

What would you say is the most difficult part of being a staffer?

If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be and why?

And just for fun: what's your favorite book?

I'll be watching...

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

It may be because I've spent so much of my life in management and supervision that I easily make the distinction between staff posting as a member, and staff acting in an official capacity. I see those attacks, and I usually try to jump in and say something gingerly. But the truth is, I just don't get why it's so hard for some to separate the two.

Anyway, enough of that. Is Elevated One really a model, or was she just pulling our chain?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join