It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your 4X4 Vehicle

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

100,000.00 and its yours.
It is a brilliant mechanical marvel though.And DARPA didn't spend a gillion dollars to develop the capability.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger

Just posted about customizable off road camper van here is the link - boulderoffroadvans.com...

Surely jeep is the perfect vehicle for off road escapes and being smaller sure has its advantages, as is H1 Hummer.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I've owned a few 4x4's in my life (I'm not a car/minivan type of person) and was never happy with any of them except having some fun off-roading and such.

4x4's I've owned:
- Jeep CJ7
- Jeep Cherokee
- Chevy Blazer
- Ford Bronco

I found the skinny chassis on them sucked for highway driving... and I do a lot of highway driving living in the country 2 hours away from the nearest urban center.

With the vehicle sitting up high on a skinny chassis, taking tight curves at high speeds was a nightmare... You're literally hanging on for dear life with the tippiness and bouncing around. Not to mention the crappy aerodynamics when you're fighting side winds.

I now own a Hyundai Sante Fe crossover and absolutely love this vehicle. It has a nice wide chassis so the vehicle hugs the curves beautifully and no bouncing around all over the place. Manitoba highways are notorious for being uneven, full of cracks, potholes, etc due to the winter temps causing road upheaving year after year. We literally have some of the worst roads/highways in the country.

It sits higher than a car, but lower than a 4x4... yet I can still plow through knee deep snow without a problem.

I wouldn't be able to navigate through marshy swamps with it obviously, but I've taken it down some pretty nasty country dirt trails through the bush without problem.

All in all, it's a great day to day practical use vehicle for me with the added bonus of the superb all-wheel drive traction with low/high gear options.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

With the vehicle sitting up high on a skinny chassis, taking tight curves at high speeds was a nightmare... You're literally hanging on for dear life with the tippiness and bouncing around. Not to mention the crappy aerodynamics when you're fighting side winds.

I agree, Had a friend get killed in his Jeep 20yrs ago. He also had a 6 inch lift and 38"s on the thing.Scared me everytime I road in it. They are not the best road vehicle.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I'll have to post a pic of my truck...just don't have one handy yet, digitally.

It's a Ford F350 Dual Wheel, Diesel powerstroke. Not a 4x4, but has good ground clearance, a front and rear tank, and an external alternate tank (151 gallon). It's a beast, but I love it. Sucks on mileage though...but its main purpose is to haul the 3 horse trailer.

I've gone through some pretty bad flood waters before, and been fine.

I only have to make it to the family farm 150 miles away.

That's a hell of a haul in a SHTF scenario!

Sucks enough that I have to go 40 something miles to get home (hence my 4 day BOB). Unfortunately, I also have to cross a bridge almost every single alternate route....so, there's a good chance I may have to return home on foot. I may get one of those folding bikes, just in case, would help at least.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join