learn more

Gyms and home exercise machines

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I hate these things.

Why would anyone pay money to exercise?

That works the other way around usually, manual labor = exercise = compensation.

I assembled Nordic Tracks part time for awhile and have known alot of people who go to the the gym.

These gym people go hiking with me and are totally winded at the top of a hill while I'm breathing fine going

Really? I'm older than you, I'm a smoker, I NEVER exercise with the intent of benefiting my health yet I smoked you up this hill..

Another thing, why are all the late night infomercials in the US oriented towards fitness training and equipment?

We are by far the fattest country in the world, so who is buying this useless crap?

/endrant

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I agree that a good hike up a hill, or shoveling out driveways after a snowstorm is far better than running on a machine.

Not sure who uses these things because everybody I know that's purchased one has it sitting in their garage with boxes piled on it.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by 1/2 Nephilim

Well there are many reasons to exercise at home using Gym Equipment, like a bench and some free weights and running machine (treadmill) etc.

Firstly its a very good health investment just pay one time and you have the machines for life at home, better than gym membership...no need to travel/ no need to share the weights etc etc.

Secondly for those who enjoy working out, you will see good gains because you work out at home in your own time with your own rules and comfort......i dont see any problem here at all.

Its not just about improving overall fitness which is what these machines do (If the user is using them correctly) but making your body look MUCH better.

Dont blame the machines my friend blame the people that dont know how to use them effectively, and gym equipment isnt free obviously it needs money......but in most cases it offers better advantages over manual labour.

Blame expensive Gym memberships if you like. thats something i can understand
edit on 23-2-2013 by ISeekTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Another thing, why are all the late night infomercials in the US oriented towards fitness training and equipment? We are by far the fattest country in the world, so who is buying this useless crap?

You answered your own question.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ISeekTruth101

Originally posted by ISeekTruth101
Its not just about improving overall fitness which is what these machines do (If the user is using them correctly) but making your body look MUCH better.

VANITY! Thats why people buy this crap.

Gyms are the fetish of butchers. Lemme show off this nice cut meat!

Yeah, they're "nicely toned abs" didn't help them get to the top of that hill any faster.

The health benefit is a cop out.. if your that far behind do some push-ups or mountain climbers but you know what will get you in shape better than anything? Exploring nature, hiking. Doing yard work, home improvements, that kind of stuff.

Your getting well rounded exercise as opposed to classes and videos and machines meant only to work on this particular group of vain(!) show off muscles.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

The fatties are buying the home fitness garbage???

It occurred to me, I just don't get it.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I also hate to work out. I would rather mow the lawn or work outside in the garden to stay fit.
That being said...
I gained 60 pounds when I was pregnant and needed something a little more intense to shed the weight. I used a the Total gym and lost all the weight in less than a year. Back into those pre-baby jeans. Yay

Just sayin'

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

lol theres nothing wrong with a bit of vanity, its a human characteristic thats not limited to just looks!

Having a nice body can make someone feel better inside, making them much happier and increasing your confidence....which will show at both in workplace and with your family/ friends.

It might even increase your productivity. Its healthy for your emotions not just the physical side of things.

Your mental health is as important as your physical.

I totally agree that hiking, manual labour all of that stuff is great and natural.

But Gym is too!....and for some people its more convenient because its more intense in a shorter period of time you will get results faster.....and in todays world we dont have much time because we work hard in our daily jobs to make ends meat, more than we did in the old days due to economy and competition.

Its a hectic lifestyle!
edit on 23-2-2013 by ISeekTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Furthermore research shows that the best way to lose fat and tone up is by lifting weights, because of the strain it puts on the system, running isnt always the answer and i dont recommend running anyway if you intend on losing weight!

Diet + Gym + consistency will make the nation lose their fat quickly.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

The health benefit is a cop out.. if your that far behind do some push-ups or mountain climbers but you know what will get you in shape better than anything? Exploring nature, hiking. Doing yard work, home improvements, that kind of stuff.

Can't do pushups. Bad shoulder. Although I do try to do some balancing off the counter top at a 45 degree angle until the shoulder hurts.

Minus 20 to 30 degrees Celsius for half the year. Again, shoveling snow kills the shoulder, and it's too cold to stay out long enough.

My elliptical machine sits where I can see the tv and gets used in the winter. Summer, I do yard work and home improvement

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

More muscles makes your metabolism take more calories, hence, you will up end either loosing fat or just get to eat more without gaining fat.

OP, I would actually prescribe a little weight lifting on top of cardio exercises for anyone that wants to stay in shape.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Good reply, ty.
So..

theres nothing wrong with a bit of vanity

sure there is

Having a nice body can make someone feel better inside, making them much happier and increasing your confidence....which will show at both in workplace and with your family/ friends.

It might even increase your productivity. Its healthy for your emotions not just the physical side of things.

I get this.. but, then again, there is no need to be this type of person.

If outward appearance is what it takes to make you feel good on the inside, ok.. but why?

Your mental health is as important as your physical.

Now this deserves attention.

I promise you, my nature walks/scouts/hikes do 1000% better for my mental health than some high class gym ever could. The reasons why should be obvious..

As for this..

But Gym is too!....and for some people its more convenient because its more intense in a shorter period of time you will get results faster.....and in todays world we dont have much time because we work hard in our daily jobs to make ends meat, more than we did in the old days due to economy and competition.

All I can say to this is once you conform so much your pretty much trapped.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by theMediator

I'm a hobbyist and my hobby requires a ton of cardio.

Otherwise your absolutely right, your not going to get your cardio from hiking, but thats why I was saying yardwork and thing of that nature help alot more than we think they do.

Raking your yard can be as good as 3x 2 hours sessions at the gym working on cardio, except you got your yard raked and saved money.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
What if I enjoy doing all of it? Why is it wrong if I enjoy it? I love to explore nature. I love hiking, swimming, mountain climbing, and all of the other stuff. I also like to workout.

I don't see where you're coming from...

You're complaining about people exercising? Why?

What does it matter to you?

If you think they're "wasting" money... Who cares? You smoke. Not to put you down for smoking, I quit about 6 months ago. I'm just saying. Where's the issue? Other than you wanting to whine about it of course... Smoking costed me no less than $150 a month. There are gyms around here that are cheaper than that.

Studies have proven that working out can help with depression. As someone who suffers from depression, I can confirm that as well.

Also, my entire family is fat, and when I say fat I mean FAT. yet my family is a working class family and most of them are very hard workers even trying to find something to work on when they're not officially on any clock or being paid. If I don't workout I get fat, I've been there. I don't want to be fat and feel like crap both mentally and physically so I try to workout as much as I can.

I can understand not being a fan of gyms, as I don't like them and infomercials are annoying, I get that. But why is it wrong for someone to buy exercise equipment if it does a better job at keeping them healthy than yard and house work?

I kind of feel like I'm having a discussion with my 7 year old. "But daaaaaaaaaaad... I don't wanna clean my room! So I shouldn't have to! I'm fine with my room like it is!"

The thing is... You don't have to work out or pay for any of the stuff. BUT why complain about people who want to? What's it to you?
edit on 23-2-2013 by Anundeniabletruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
You smoked them up the mountain because you have the stamina to do it. Stamina building and muscle building are two different things. Sure they may look nice but they won't be able to keep up unless they mix that toning with some stamina training.

And as for why people buy it? I'll continue on with my usual statement on these things. How many people buy the new iPhone simply because it's new? Not for any other reason, just that it's got a NEW tag on it.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Anundeniabletruth

It seems to me as though the OP was bragging about out competing people that lift weights.

OP: mind you, the more muscle mass their is the easier you get winded because the muscles also demand oxygen from the blood. Also, not everybody that lifts weights does cardio, though they should. You should also look up on how weight lifting has an impact on endorphins, dopamine and many other hormones, proteins and peptides.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Not everybody that works out at a gym does so just for vanity purposes. Many people do it because of a sport they play where they can customize a workout to assist them with said sport. Others may do it for a job. There are many jobs such as firefighting, and law enforcement where you really need to use weights in order to add strength. Strength that you will not get from doing yard work and household chores. I agree with other people here that hiking is a great way to exercise, I do it as much as possible(which is pretty much anytime here in florida) but I am not going to get physically stronger while doing it as it is mostly a cardio workout. At the end of the day as long as you are doing something to stay fit then more power to you. There are literally millions of ways to get exercise.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Part of the reason that the "push" for using a gym is so great is because people are overweight. And the people I know that buy the equipment are usually the ones that cannot even ride a bike every now & then because of their weight.

Also, the reason that the "gym buddies" get winded on a simple hill could be because they do their "practices" in the same environment (usually a warm, neutral building that's pollen free, so their lungs can catch a full breath of air). You on the other hand, probably go out hiking on a somewhat regular basis, and your smoking does play a factor as well (in that, your lungs are probably used to not getting a full breath each time, so your body adapted to make due with less). Just merely suggesting that they do "outdoor practice" will send some of the people into fear (oh, the look on their faces
).

In my case, I'm not the worlds "healthiest" person, but people are surprised that I can outrun them for a short period - even with objects in the way (grew up next to a woods, and spent my time learning to run & jump over logs at the same time - loved getting smacked when I miscalculated a jump), beat them in a mountain bike race (I always used the gears that were meant for downhill riding - most people use the ones meant for uphill because they are less work on the legs), and can carry more than my arms appear to handle (loved to climb trees, shovel snow the "hard way", rake leaves, etc). As a final note, I once went out hiking on Mackinac Island with a friend- I finished the 8 mile trek in about 2.5 hours (and wanted to do it again). My friend called it quits after 4 miles.

-fossilera
edit on 24/2/2013 by fossilera because: changed "hours" to miles, as we cannot walk on the timeline

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Amazing! There's an obesity crisis in America and this guy's criticizing GYM memberships. You just can't please some people.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Would you rather...

Jog outside in the rain
or
Jog inside on a treadmill while watching a TV program?

Both are the same exercise...one is more comfortable...easy choice.

new topics

top topics

join