It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are atheistic liberals who want to be PC so hypocritical?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Why are atheistic liberals who want to be PC so hypocritical? Maybe there are such things as liberals that are not atheistic. Most liberals are though, from what I perceive. In short, liberalism IMO is overrated.

It’s funny, and I chuckle at the thought…. how so many atheistic liberal anti-religious people say: “religion was invented to control the masses”, or “the Bible is an old book and just contains fairy tales… why should we follow it?”, or “all you religious people are so self-righteous, and you talk down to everybody else because you want to impose your rules on them”… You get the drift.

These leftist anti-religious agenda can be ruthless. And all the while, they think they have all this so-called freedom, while religious people- Catholics and Protestants are constricted and concerned with rules.

Well to tell you the truth, I’m not for religion either. Religion in its strictest sense, pun intended, IS made up of a virtually endless list of Do’s and Don’ts- which would constrict anybody…. That is not what Jesus had in mind when He came. True religion is following a person: Christ, not following a bunch of rules. Worlds different. But this is a different topic for a different thread.

The point of this OP is: while liberals are all thinking they are being liberated, a LOT of them adhere to a strict code of political correctness….. They just traded one norm of acceptable conduct for a different, man-made one. And there is no end in sight as to how far it will go. The term “political correctness gone mad” springs to mind.

A couple of links concerning this:

The future of liberalistic thought. What's funny is that I believe dinosaurs exist(ed)... Go the natural history museum in NYC to see some skeletons.

wiki

www.tvtropes.org article

If you were to ask me, I think that political correctness was invented as a tool by Liberals to control the masses.

This is not a thread about guns. What is clear to everyone is one of the ‘rules’ that liberals want to impose on everyone in the US: gun control. Where is the liberality in that?

Have you seen the recent movie with Billy Crystal and Bette Midler? Their kids with their PC, and the baseball rules for the grandson of “no winners”… In line with the liberal hypocritical mindset, they did have strict rules of “no sugar”, “no ice-cream”, etc. These were apt examples of ridiculousness. All these rules, wow.

It reminds me of the dilemma of some teenagers who are either legitimately viewed as being mistreated, or are enduring actual abuse in their home. They want to run away, to get away from their parent’s rule. Then what happens a lot of times, especially in big cities, is that they end up in gangs with a totally different set of rules imposed on them. To where initiation rites can be macabre and usually illegal. Then they have to live with their conscience for whatever they did for the rest of their probably short lives. Thinking that they are throwing off rules, they end up with an even worse set of rules to live by… they can’t associate with everyone…. Only gang-boss approved people. They have to wear certain colors… The list goes on and on.

It seems that people are hardwired to accept standards of behavior, be these good for society or not. People who throw off codes of conduct to embrace the liberal ideology are not doing themselves any favors. They are just fooling themselves.

And self-deception is the worst kind…. Because the person deceived cannot see outside their own (what they consider rational) way of thinking. It takes a lot, to change a person who is self-deceived.

This is not going to be the most popular thread on ATS, maybe not popular at all. I know this already. Why? Because ATS has changed, and now has many members that are actually PC, liberal, and MSM-minded- unfortunately.

But the point is needed to be made in any case.

edit on 23/2/2013 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
liberal athiests? sounds like an oxymoron. (nevermind, bad logic)
Stereotyping people IMO is based on real insecurity. The social identity theory speaks to this:

Social identity is a person’s sense of who they are based on their group membership(s). Tajfel proposed that the groups (e.g. social class, family, football team etc.) which people belonged to were an important source of pride and self-esteem. Groups give us a sense of social identity: a sense of belonging to the social world. In order to increase our self-image we enhance the status of the group to which we belong. For example, England is the best country in the world! We can also increase our self-image by discriminating and holding prejucied views against the out group (the group we don’t belong to). For example, the Americans, French etc. are a bunch of losers! Therefore we divided the world into “them” and “us” based through a process of social categorization (i.e. we put people into social groups). This is known as in-group (us) and out-group (them). Social identity theory states that the in-group will discriminate against the out-group to enhance their self-image. The central hypothesis of social identity theory is that group members of an in-group will seek to find negative aspects of an out-group, thus enhancing their self-image.

SOURCE

I think we could advance as a species if we stopped doing this and saw ourselves as a whole and not seperate. We see alot of this on ATS...

edit on 23-2-2013 by Mike.Ockizard because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2013 by Mike.Ockizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike.Ockizard

liberal athiests? sounds like an oxymoron

right... like you haven't seen any.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarkJS
Why are atheistic liberals who want to be PC so hypocritical? Maybe there are such things as liberals that are not atheistic. Most liberals are though, from what I perceive.

I disagree. I know plenty of Liberal believers. And atheists only make up like 6% of the American population. Liberals/Progressives/Democrats make up a much larger percentage.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

My question is, how does this NOT violate the 1st admendment?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Maybe there are such things as liberals that are not atheistic. Most liberals are though, from what I perceive. In short, liberalism IMO is overrated.
reply to post by MarkJS

First of all, your "perception", is incorrect. The majority of Liberals are not in fact , atheist.

Most Jewish Liberals practice Judaism . Most African American Liberals practice Protestant Christianity. Most Indian Liberals practice Hindu. Most Asian Liberals practice Buddhism. Most Latino Liberals practice Catholicism and many Irish Liberals are also practicing Roman Catholics. These groups together, make up the majority of Liberals. There are only a few Atheists and LGBT Liberals in comparison to the a fore mentioned groups. The reason why they appear as though they represent all Liberals is because they have the biggest mouths. And yes, while they are hypocrites because they demand that everyone accept and include them, while they in turn do not practice what they..."speech", they sure as hell do not represent Liberalism by any stretch. Because of your false perception and generalization on what Liberalism is , it's very difficult to answer your question because the premise is incorrect.

Have a blessed day.

edit on 23-2-2013 by skepticconwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I've also met my share of right-wing atheists.

Your generalizations are idiotic. This thread is idiotic. And you should feel idiotic.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

Wow. Too many generalizations and judgements to deal with
Maybe there should be a thread titled "Why Christian Conservatives who are so Judgmental are so Hypocritical"... Nah, that's stupid. Divisive, mean and worthless in its generalizations.

I'll just say that religious rules, imposed by some external superstitious entity are very different than secular, societal rules adopted by one's self for the betterment of the society in which they live.

Political correctness has its good and bad points, in my opinion. I recently heard a TV personality talking about the program "Diggers" (people dig up things and study their history)... He pronounced the program title "dig-gas", dropping the "R" on the end. His sidekick popped up to say, "Don't pronounce the "R" or it's racist"!

Hilarious!
And goes to show how PC-ness can go too far.

On the other hand, respecting our fellow members of society by not using descriptive words they find offensive is just a self-imposed respect and honor for those with whom I share a planet.

I am an atheist, I "lean" liberal, but have beliefs all over the map. And in December, I say, "Merry Christmas!" to people. Go figure!

edit on 2/23/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: can't spell...

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I knew that this thread would have struck a nerve. Too close to home, perhaps?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTsiyr

Why are atheistic liberals who want to be PC so hypocritical? Maybe there are such things as liberals that are not atheistic. Most liberals are though, from what I perceive.

I disagree. I know plenty of Liberal believers. And atheists only make up like 6% of the American population. Liberals/Progressives/Democrats make up a much larger percentage.

Liberal, as in pro-abortion? OK... If you say they are believers... then go with that. I would have to disagree.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan

I've also met my share of right-wing atheists.

Your generalizations are idiotic. This thread is idiotic. And you should feel idiotic.

So you know (a lot of) conservative atheists? You must be a rare breed, my friend.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

I currently know a few, and I've met plenty that I have had conversations with. It's almost like you can't believe they exist, or you don't want people to think they exist.

Your first post made it very clear that you only came here to push an agenda. Nobody's buying.

I knew that this thread would have struck a nerve. Too close to home, perhaps?

Don't flatter yourself. It's actually as far away from home as it can get. Nobody here likes your ignorant generalizations. That's what struck the nerve.

edit on 23-2-2013 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTsiyr

Liberal, as in pro-abortion? OK... If you say they are believers... then go with that. I would have to disagree.

Why? Your bible does not condemn abortion. In fact, it was sanctioned by your god on more than one occasion in the old testament. Look no further than Psalms:

Blessed shall he be who takes your little ones and dashes them against the rock!

Here's actual abortion by your god, hands on:

Give them, O LORD–what will You give? Give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts.

And let us not forget the countless instances where your god not only told his followers to kill the enemy but to kill every man, woman, and baby. C'mon, the bible is not against abortion in any sense of the word.

If you say that it is counted as "murder" therefore Christians cannot commit it, then you are also saying that every single American who joins the military is an atheist as no Christian can commit murder. We murder in the war all the time. Soldiers, women, children. Innocents. Talk about hypocritical. Jeesh.

ps - for the record, I'm against abortion but pro-choice. I can argue my point without bringing my religion into it and I also feel that my religion should never have a role to play in your personal decisions.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

Liberal, as in pro-abortion? OK...

OK. So you are defining liberal as "pro-abortion"... Can you define "pro-abortion"? I'm not sure if I fit in there or not...

Here I am, a woman, who believes life begins at conception. If I were ever to get pregnant, I would NOT have an abortion, unless it threatened my very life. I am against having an abortion. I would bear the baby of a rape. However, as I make that choice, I believe it should be available to all women. I am against government intervention into a woman's personal medical matters.

Now, where do I fit in this "pro-abortion" scenario? I'm assuming you support government intervention into a woman's medical issues...

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

Thanks for the insanely discombobulated thread. What is the point again? Billy Crystal and Bette Midler to gangs?

CJ

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

thank you for your reply.... the verses you cite are in the old testament... key word there is 'old'. I don't just follow that part of the bible, as my sole source. Although I know of others that do.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I would bear the baby of a rape

Wow... you're more courageous than most. You're a rarity. I mean that in a good way.

Any abortion is evil. The phrase "give an inch, take a mile" comes to mind. If a woman's life is in danger because of the pregnancy, I believe that she should not abort and leave the rest to God. That's there the believer part comes in.

Another reference: ACLJ almost mandated abortion pill fight

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
reply to post by MarkJS

Thanks for the insanely discombobulated thread. What is the point again? Billy Crystal and Bette Midler to gangs?
CJ

Thank you for your interest. This is the quick summary:

The point of this OP is: while liberals are all thinking they are being liberated, a LOT of them adhere to a strict code of political correctness….. They just traded one norm of acceptable conduct for a different, man-made one. And there is no end in sight as to how far it will go. The term “political correctness gone mad” springs to mind.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

reply to post by Cuervo

thank you for your reply.... the verses you cite are in the old testament... key word there is 'old'. I don't just follow that part of the bible, as my sole source. Although I know of others that do.

As your "sole source"? So you just get to pick and choose? Pick the parts about homosexuality but ignore the parts about shellfish and beards etc, etc. What part in the bible condemns abortion but not war? The parts about murdering being a sin does not make exceptions and the parts being about war has plenty of baby killing in it so...

If we are going to speak about hypocrites, I would like an answer to at least that one question. When reading the bible, where do you get the impression that abortion is wrong yet war is okay? I don't mean to generalize all Christians but the average American Christian is anti-choice and pro-war. Why?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
For those ripping the OP a new one because of his generalization... it's incorrect to say "most liberals are atheists", obviously. However, statistically, at least in the United States, it is not incorrect to say "most atheists are liberals." (Source)

Apart from that, I agree that the OP is a big mess, lol. I don't consider people who are politically correct as being hypocritical for that, just "well meaning, but clueless."

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join