It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Good Horse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Note: Seems like I keep getting pounded for placing some of the stuff I write in the wrong forum, so Gawd help me if this is placed wrong. It's non-fiction (i.e. real life)...my patience is wearing thin with this forum purity.

So, this is a true story....(I guess I will retreat if I get a bunch of crap off of this one...oh well)

I just need to say, I’m an honest man…

I’ve been kicked, I’ve been stomped, I’ve roped calves and steers under the worst circumstances…

I’ve been thrown off my horse, I’ve been dragged by a steer. I’ve been pinned between my bulls and a post, I’ve been spit on, crapped on…I’ve had my arm, shoulder deep, inside of a cow.

I’ve delivered calves in the middle of the biggest snowstorms, ice storms and the nastiest weather imaginable. I’ve carried calves for miles (80lb wiggling, frozen, scared little animals)…absolutely decimating to your back!

I’ve been splooged on, shat on, barfed on and… I’ve even been afraid (once).

I’m a cowboy, a farmer. Every year I go through the same game. There is never any let up.

I’ve seen Momma’s who wanted to kill me, just to save their calf. I’ve seen Momma’s who wanted to lick my hat off just to save their calf in the darkest of times. Every year I do it, we do it.

I’ve eaten more cow and horse crap, dirt , rocks and dust than I can even begin to describe.

One thing about horses, is they always look you in the eye and see if you will deal with the same thing you ask them to deal with.

The difference is when the SHTF, and you’re off your horse, will the horse come back to defend you..or run?

I blew my knee out six years ago on a calf roping run. I didn’t know it at the time but the Bull Riding event was next. They were moving the bulls into the chutes. I was down, we roped the calf, but not with a good time. I twisted my knee badly on the dismount, and was down. The lead bull jumped the chute and came out, mad, into the arena. The out-riders and bull fighters weren’t in the ring yet. There was just me and my partner, the bull…and Reno, my horse.

I’ve seen a lot of crazy stuff in my life, but I’ve never seen anything like I saw that day! I was down on my seat, trying to stand, there was a bull charging from 75 yards away, my partner had a large calf down and semi roped; the bull was running for anything it could get. He had a half loose cinch strap and he was pissed!

In the moment, you smell things; you smell things like you never smelled before. You can smell every essence. You can smell the dirt, you can smell the horses…you can smell the fear.

It makes you alive.
You can only see a small amount of what is going on around you on the ground. All of a sudden, I saw Reno jump over me and run straight at that bull. I was scootin’ like a crab (badly hurt) across the dirt by then. Just tryin’ to save my skin, and that horse saved my butt.

Reno, was the best horse I’ve ever known. Reno was a big horse (17.5 hands), a pure bread quarter horse who was literally given to me by a woman who was afraid of him. She loved him as a pet, but she was scared to death of him to ride. And, there was a reason. (another story)

Anyway, a riderless Reno ran up to the bull; like ran right up on him (almost jumped on him). That freaking bull stopped, and Reno was pushing him with his chest. That bull was slobbering and pushing, he just wanted to finish me off. No matter what way he turned (the bull), Reno would block him or charge him. Horses are great for a reason with cows; they’re tall, and that day Reno saved my life. I back crabbed over to the fence and got pulled over to safety, but the whole time Reno made sure he was between me and that bull. He never stepped on me once, Reno. It was a big fight, many will never understand.

On the TV you’ll see guys get hooked (trapped) on a bull. It’s a dangerous sport. This wasn’t a bull ride. This was a guy down in the dirt from a different event when a crazed bull jumped the rodeo chute fence and went crazy, and a faithful roping horse who saved his life.

Reno passed 2 years after that day from acute liver failure. It was completely unexpected. I was devastated, as was Jean (his owner). It was in the middle of the night. Just tragic.

God Bless you, Reno! (wherever you are now)

...one good horse! (nod)

edit on 2/23/2013 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Wow. That's a great story of a special relationship. RIP, Reno.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
On my parents ranch we were raised with all kinds of animals, including horses, but us kids were taught never to get attached to them.

We were told to consider them as (horses) as simply tools you use to get work done. Granted we never did the level of work you apparently do and never really needed to rely on a horse in a bad spot so I guess my experience is a bit different than yours.

They are still wonderful animals but I think of them more like I would a tractor or a car. Something to do work or take you somewhere.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Flyingclaydisk

That's a great story and it sounds like you got really lucky to have Reno in your corner

Growing up I lived with several different families...One lived on a dairy farm so, I was always around the cows...sure did take awhile to get use to the smell though.

Another familiy I lived with trained Tennessee Walkers and rode them in competition shows. That was an amazing experience! I had never really been around horses before but, I instantly fell in love with them.

I never quite got the hang of the training aspect of it but, I loved to watch them walk/run.

The one thing I do remember though is how much the owner loved his horses and I could just tell how much happier they were when he was spending time with them.

When I would help out with feeding and brushing, they just didn't respond to me the way the did to him.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
pard ,i know where you have been ,and i have lived ,longed for,hated ,edured , and love my life as a working cowboy . my first and truest love is my horses. i know that heart felt admiration,and that gut wrenching feeling of devistation in there loss . thanks for the reminder of what i do and why i do it.

new topics

top topics

join