It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The reasons why your "bugout plan" will absolutely fail!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Lord, just head south where we are still compassionate human beings. We still live by "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" We will not shoot you even if you have a gun, unless you shoot first. We will feed you. We will not turn you away. That is no way to treat another human being. There will be enough food for everyone. In Louisiana, all they need is a ditch to survive. They can make any kind of meat taste good. In the mountains we have to dodge deer daily. Turkey's are everywhere. wild boar, bear, rabbit, etc. Just don't panic. Get out of the big cities and head south. You would be just fine. If you run into a scruffy looking, bearded redneck, he is most likely as friendly as he can be. He is just carrying on an American tradition. If you can scrounge up some beer, you will be a hero. Which reminds me of an old friend who loved to hitchhike, He would buy a case of beer and sit on it by the side of the road, stick his thumb out and catch a ride in meer moments.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I like your post. You raise some very interesting points and I agree that some are deluding themselves to think they can drive 300 miles to a bugout location in a state of emergency. The prepper mentality, however, is pointing to the fact that many people have completely lost faith in our government and see them as unreliable at best and the enemy at worst. What I admire about preppers is at least they are attempting to prepare independently and realize that the government will save no one except themselves in a catastrophe. I agree with you that rural communities are not likely to welcome refuges from the cities and will tighten their ranks locally to survive. Interesting times, for sure.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty
reply to post by starfoxxx

You guys left out jimmy the buff mcgillicutty from ozark springs who survived 45 years alone in the wilds of the ozark wrestling bears and wild cat bare handed living in a small leaf made shelter..

You talking about uncle Jimmy?

edit on 23-2-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)
YAH that's him. Also no one even mentioned the great Willy the rattlesnake eating cottonmouth pickin copperhead Mahones who survived in the Arizona desert on cactus sucking, snake eating, and rock dwelling. He was bitten three times by rattlesnakes and survived to tell the tale after his journey of 9 years..

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

Very good points. While I have talked to individuals about "coordinating" in such a situation, the idea of having an "in" with an established community makes sense.

Dusty1's post drove that home for me. I have left the JW community and would not go back if my life depended on it. Knowing where to go would be essential. As I learned when I was training as a doula: If you don't know your options, you don't have any.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dusty1

Oh, indeed they did. ...and a good many of them were unremittingly hostile. You could, and still can, go for virtually weeks without seeing hide nor hair of humanity. ...these gentlemen were not what you'd call social animals. They could, and did, function in complete isolation.

Remember this, the mountain men/trappers were working during the winter. Winter in the Rockies. No roads. Your horse/pack mule are not much use to you in several feet of snow... Even in the summer, travel isn't exactly easy.

They were, for all intents and purposes, alone and on their own.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Now if a bug out plan fails that means they failed to plan imo make no mistake survival is going to be the hardest endeavor any person will ever undertake, and it is also a fact that over 90% will be six feet under because most do not have the skill sets to survive.
edit on 23-2-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

The main problem is where to bug-out to? People get their bug-out bag and really have no where to go.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
Big cities maybe. I live at the foot of the Blue Ridge mountains. My family has been here over 175 years. The people that live around here will have no problem surviving without electricity. We won't be shooting people who simply trespass either. There is still a huge number of self sufficient people in America. People are underestimating America. We can teach the old ways before electricity very easily.

I agree there are places and people, but the reality is that it is a small percentage, and that small percentage would also need to deal with paramilitary types that loot pillage and plunder as their survival tool.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

You may be compassionate now, but just think. If you are accepting and feeding stragglers that word will spread and a million hungry people (with kids) will be heading your way shortly. Now you have more than just a few on your hands.

Feed and house them all? How to accept some and turn others away? Whats your criteria?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Bug Out People have the perfect skill set and equipment list for the wrong plan. The OP is correct that people believing they can pack up a Scout Pack and a Glock or 1911 are fooling themselves. That kind of plan is only good for getting from point A to point B.

But here's the thing. That plan inspires them to carry that pistol and that pack full of useful things like rope, clothes, medicine, condensed calories, water, sharp tools, and navigational equipment. This is the perfect type of person to add to a larger community of similar minded people, with some heavy hitter survivalists, experts, and brilliant leadership tying it all together.

These people represent components for reconstructing society. They are not societies unto themselves. That requires enormous planning, energy, resources, and calorie supplies far in excess of most people's capacity to acquire. But you will find not just individuals, but couples, families, tiny groups of friends and neighbors, and subgroups of religious or other community centers that as a team, with "bug out" equipment - even with "get home bag" or Every Day Carry gear, these people will still represent ten, or even 100 times more useful components to a survival group.

Imagine how much difference one hatchet can make to a group that has none. Imagine what just a few thousand extra calories and water can do for a group that is trying to make it to a safe zone. How a bottle of penicillin can be a game changer not just for one person, but a whole village. One pistol or rifle, one cross bow or recurve or over sized knife - these things are all but useless for long term survival of an individual, but as the numbers climb, they become exponentially useful. One man with a map, a teenager with a bag of seeds, another with a compass, a few with thermal blankets and shovels - this stuff adds up.

Don't abandon the strategies and gear you have for a bug out plan, just try to incorporate something into it that might help make you a useful, or even unique member of your emergency community. Because let's be real, even if a solo bug out kid from Beverley Hills with Oakleys and Granola Bars seems like dead soy meat walking, he's still going to fair better than his nearest 99 neighbors who are wondering what to do when the ATMs stop issuing money and the telescreens stop playing the latest episode of Iron Chef.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The best place to bug out is near river ways due to the ease of travel and to hide, along with the fact that you have unlimited water and game resource

large industry drain culverts make excellent hides when caves or natural undergrounds aren't present, plus there's lots of abandoned barges, boats and rafting material, not including buildings one could slip into for cover.

it all just depends on how well you do your per-research as to how comfortable and successful you will be on your own.

remember its easier to hide and move when there's only one of you, verses a group that has the potential of getting you caught, only you should know your business as loose lips sink ships

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sirbadazz

I understand and respect your opinion but I would like to know what you hope to accomplish with this thread.At the moment I can see other purpose other than to prompt an emotional response by telling people that they doomed to failure.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap

en.wikipedia.org...

If only one person watches this video above, then I will be very happy.

This is something the OP should examine with his own eyes, it may change his fatal view on the possibilities of survival.

Watch it and it was good.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

We will not shoot you even if you have a gun, unless you shoot first. We will feed you. We will not turn you away.

And when you find this individual, and family, to be unwilling to conform to your way of life, then what?
Ask them politely to leave?

You live your way because you choose to, as do I.
Others live their way because they choose to, as well.

When "your way" (or my way) becomes the "only way" for others, it is not because of their choice, it is because of their needs.

Had they considered their needs earlier, they wouldn't be choosing you now, but don't expect them to change while you are putting them up.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Now ur talking somewhat sense... ecpesially the part about everyone now needing a community to survive.

SO.... incorporate the Obama gun ban threads with this one, and what do you get? A SOCIETY/DEMOCRACY that WILL be kept in place with SURPERIOR firepower.
If 50 000 000 americans run around with AKs in a crisis, you`d have a HUGE problem.. Whithout it there`s a chance to rebuild.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by sirbadazz

Remember reading a thread some made week or so ago. Family fled to Siberian wilderness during World War 2.Lots of wind and snow, but no food. They survived. Some still alive at that. We never would've evolved if your logic is right. Are you fear mongering? Scared someone might pop you off and take your land in a SHTF scenario? Hermits live in wilderness there whole life with no human contact. Same way in my area with the way you describe the way that folks out there live and act. Can't hold it off forever. Don't underestimate the human will to survive. Just because you give yourself a three year timeline don't give me one. Might want to practice up on these "skills" you say you have and extend that timeline.

ETA: Lol tribal knowledge? You are so full of it this should be in the grey area. Did your "tribe" dub you sirbadazz?
edit on 23-2-2013 by Intrigue89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
What a depressing thread. I thoroughly suggest people understand that TPTB don't get to do this to you, so start to deal with them, kindly, but extremely firmly. Also, its community that counts. Right now, in basements, garages, backyards, in city and country, people need to create aquaponics and grow that million pounds of produce and 10 000 fish a year. 2 blocks doing that could feed many blocks. Its cooperation that gets it done. The wild isn't going to support everyone, aquaponics and heritage seeds can propagate from the seeds, and spread. Ie. you keep spreading it to the next house. Pool up and donate. Be kind and think of others. Especially anyone you are prejudice against, for that is your fault, whether it be color, or the poor, or shut ins, or handicapped, or homeless, that is how you make for karma and faults that we actually came to earth to do. Seek out and pursue those you have spoken unkindly of without knowing them, and help them first.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Introduction to Home Aquaponics

Affnan's Aquaponics - Tilapia Harvest 31st Dec 2010

His most wonderful blog:

affnan-aquaponics.blogspot.ca...

I also think really really positive goals, and raising frequency to manifest them, with the help of Goodness and Love, is a wonderful thing. Just on that thread, the winds were almost gale level, was worried the trees might lose branches, and stood in sunshine, in my mind, pictured sunny skies, for a while doing dishes. In 20 minutes the sun came out and stayed out until it set. It was really unusual.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
i figured out how exactly "the secret" works,

We need to gain our minds back, no longer let them be shackled.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Outdoor aquaponics isn't really a possibility all year in Saskatchewan without having it indoors.

I'm thinking about yabbies too.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Garage, basement, indoors, Greenhouse (plastic strung on pvp pipes).

Oh and here is something to think of. This is what I have been talking to my sons about getting built.

Building my friction heater

There is one that runs on wood. One piece of wood lasts roughly a month. It makes almost instant steam. Now greenhouses and homes need heat.

But heat also can be turned into electricity.

Demonstration of wood burning Stirling engine

Savant - Fat Cat shuffle (Alchemist)

I see little sheds attahed to homes, RV's or homes on wheels, and greenhouses/workshops. With several friction heaters and rows/shelves of stirling engines!

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

you really need electricity for aquaponics unless you living by a year round stream and have elevation, but it a great method to get protein and veggies, you can even use soldier fly larva to feed the fish,,, another important thing is growing blue green algae, you can live on that stuff... also learning to eat weeds is important for nutrition and health.

edit on 23-2-2013 by bluestorm because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join