It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Verbally Abused by a Ranting Mad Man - then not taken seriously by the police when incident reported

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Laykilla

Diverting a patrol or two a few streets away is not a huge strain on resources, in fact I don't think it would hinder the force in any way.

As for your views on my "we understate things" comment - how did you come to the conclusion that I was calling America barbaric? I'm genuinely confused. Why would you think that had anything to do with you? Why, even if it was to do with you, would it be about America? Why, if it was about America, imply that we're better because of it?

I never said the understatement was a good thing, in fact it's a very bad thing. If I phone the doctor's office to make an appointment I always end up downplaying my symptoms because I don't want to sound like a wuss, so I wait weeks to be seen. If I didn't understate, I could be seen immediately.

This is exactly why I'm saying you have a chip on your shoulder, or an insecure personality, you are applying comments that aren't about you to you. You are then taking them and giving them a meaning they never had in order to make your argument.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway
what bit is fishy to you?
Additionally - it is not a minor incident to be threatened by a man.

We keep going back to that word - threatened. Did he threaten you, or did you feel threatened? There's a massive differnce between the two, in that one is a police matter and the other is not.

You personally may think it is fine to yell and scream at a woman and to abuse her verbally in her face whereby she feels threatened.

No, I really DO NOT think that's okay, nor have I ever said as much.

Who are you to dispute that I felt scared and threatened

I'm someone with an opinion, just like you.

It is serious to scare and verbally abuse a woman full stop - and it is a matter for the police I am afraid,

Yeah, if things went down exactly as you say then went down, then yeah, that's pretty serious. And as for you saying that it is a matter for the police... well obviously the police felt differently.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by testing123

your misquoting ..
go back and read both those posts properly if you want a response.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

your misquoting ..

I'm not misquoting at all. Those are your words directly quoted.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I'm in a world where the Conservatives are destroying the police, sat at home at 3:21 on saturday morning completely sober, in a thread vehemently defending a person I'm in complete disagreement with.

The world is upside down.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Monger

me feeling threatened is NOT an opinion,

You do not get to have an opinion about how I feel.

You do not get to have an opinion about what I love or what makes me scared or what I fear,

So no - if I say I felt threatened I felt threatened,

Please do NOT tell me what I felt or how I should feel,

I don;t know whether you have noticed lately but you are NOT me.

Funny that,

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo

Diverting a patrol or two a few streets away is not a huge strain on resources, in fact I don't think it would hinder the force in any way.

As for your views on my "we understate things" comment - how did you come to the conclusion that I was calling America barbaric? I'm genuinely confused. Why would you think that had anything to do with you? Why, even if it was to do with you, would it be about America? Why, if it was about America, imply that we're better because of it?

I never said the understatement was a good thing, in fact it's a very bad thing. If I phone the doctor's office to make an appointment I always end up downplaying my symptoms because I don't want to sound like a wuss, so I wait weeks to be seen. If I didn't understate, I could be seen immediately.

This is exactly why I'm saying you have a chip on your shoulder, or an insecure personality, you are applying comments that aren't about you to you. You are then taking them and giving them a meaning they never had in order to make your argument.

Not really. You implied the British were better, since they generally are capable of understanding.

It's logical to infer that you meant America, since that's the only other country that has been talked about in this thread.

That's called "Making an inference" and it's part of English. That doesn't make me insecure, or have a chip on my shoulder. It means you made a nationalist statement, regardless if you meant to or not.

In the future, choose your words wiser and be careful of the context of the conversation before you say something sensationalist.

link   

Originally posted by testing123

your misquoting ..

I'm not misquoting at all. Those are your words directly quoted.

Incorrect the dialogue bit was related to something the metal honey monster was alleging I had said - it was purely a fantasy of his making with no substance

So go back and read those posts properly

link   

I said understating, I didn't say understanding.
edit on 22-2-2013 by Dispo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

Helen, I did reread them. You clearly stated you did not look at him. What did you mean by that?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

reply to post by Monger

me feeling threatened is NOT an opinion,

You do not get to have an opinion about how I feel.

You do not get to have an opinion about what I love or what makes me scared or what I fear,

So no - if I say I felt threatened I felt threatened,

Please do NOT tell me what I felt or how I should feel,

I don;t know whether you have noticed lately but you are NOT me.

Funny that,

I didn't say you didn't feel threatened.

I didn't say it was an opinion either.

I said he DIDN'T THREATEN you. That's not an opinion either. He didn't.

I can swim in the ocean, and feel threatened by sharks in the lieu of their presence. I can tell people, I felt threatened by sharks.

That would be a factual statement.

If I said, the shark threatened me, it didn't. That's a false statement. In this example, I felt threatened by my own fear of sharks... that doesn't mean the shark threatened me.

To put it in another people related example.

A prejudice person is irrationally afraid of Black people. In the presence of black people, he feels threatened.

He can say factually, "In the presence of Jamal, I felt threatened."

He can not say "Jamal threatened me" because Jamal didn't.

Do you understand yet? This is why the police couldn't help you. Because you don't understand the difference between FEELING threatened, and BEING threatened.

In YOUR case;

You felt threatened by a man shouting at you. At no time did the man actually threaten you.

Your own fear of an angry man made you feel threatened, he did not threaten you.

There is a super huge difference between those two things.
edit on 22-2-2013 by Laykilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

How on earth did you get any of that from my post? I'm allowed to have an opinion on whatever the hell I feel like having an opinion on. I'm not trying to tell you how to feel, or anything about love(?) or any of that other drivel.

Even if everything in your OP is completely true, and in my opinion (even as a man, I'm still allowed one of those) that's unlikely... but EVEN IF - you could have deescalated the situation by simply walking away. But you chose not to. As is your right, of course. Far be it for me to tell you what you should have done.

The guy didn't hit you, he didn't beat you up, he didn't say 'I'm gonna kill you' or 'I'm gonna beat you up,' and you still insist that he threatened you.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

are you Monger ?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Now you're just being silly.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

In England and Wale's you do not have to make a direct threat to another person to commit an offence

Harassment, Alarm or Distress

The offence is created by section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986: "(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he: (a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or (b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting, within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby." This offence has the following statutory defences: (a) The defendant had no reason to believe that there was any person within hearing or sight who was likely to be alarmed or distressed by his action. (b) The defendant was in a dwelling and had no reason to believe that his behaviour would be seen or heard by any person outside any dwelling. (c) The conduct was reasonable.

Wikipedia

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Monger

The guy didn't hit you, he didn't beat you up, he didn't say 'I'm gonna kill you' or 'I'm gonna beat you up,' and you still insist that he threatened you.

Ok, I'm going to jump in, in defense of the "feeling of being threatened" even without an expressed statement. Having a much bigger, stronger, louder and more aggressive person posturing you can be very threatening without that person having physically acted on, or verbally stated a threat. Body language will have played into this and how it was interpreted and how she felt.

edit on 22-2-2013 by GoodNuz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

I'm not sure what you mean by that, sir. Earlier in the thread you called me ridiculous. Please explain yourself.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Why is a lot of members picking on the OP here? Too many times I have seen this in this forum. She was only stating what happened to her and then gets stick for saying that.
Probably a lot of teenagers or little boys on here with nothing else to do.
Leave her alone, there's a word for people who pick on others, its called being a bully.
Go somewhere else and pick something better to do instead of what I have red here.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

are you Monger ?

Do you understand the difference between the two statements?

Did he threaten you, or did you feel threatened?

Answer the question and stop calling me "juvenile" synonyms.

I fail to see how it's juvenile to point out your lack of understanding... It's rather child like to think those two statements mean the same thing.

And furthermore, if you're right, and he threatened you, and it was a police matter.... pray tell, why did the police tell you to go home and forget about it?

Could it be that they know the difference between being threatened and feeling threatened?

Even in America, where we have the free speech amendment, you will still ALWAYS be questioned if you actually threatened someone.

If you say I'll kill you, you're getting questioned, regardless of a witness.

edit on 22-2-2013 by Laykilla because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join