It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Verbally Abused by a Ranting Mad Man - then not taken seriously by the police when incident reported

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

No, but as I said earlier, the police are being absolutely annihilated by cuts to the front line.

Inspector Gadget has written about his night shift, his division of 18 officers has fallen to 6 officers over the last 5 years. I think those numbers are right.

The police are being forced to drive single crewed in to the worst areas of the cities, they are having their overtime stopped and their pay frozen while watching incompetent senior officers climb the pay scale. They are being inundated with new directives and silly targets daily. They are not what they used to be, never mind "back in the day" - they just can't stand up to what they used to be even 5 years ago.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo
reply to post by Laykilla

When somebody tried to rob my mate's house a few years ago, he told the police the next day after having told the feckless fellow skulking around his back garden at 1am to bugger off.

The police diverted patrol cars to go past his house all night for the next week to make sure the would-be-robber didn't come back. That's quality policing, that's community support, that's real prevention.

In this case, they could try and have someone in the area around parking time (it will probably be after work) to make sure it doesn't escalate again, or that if it does they can have a fast effective response in place.

Not for nothing, but those two situations are not even close to the same.

In one situation, you had a prowler at 1 am lurking on your property with reasonable suspicion a crime would take place.

That qualifies the action of the police.

In the other situation, you had a man tell off a woman for parking illegally, he called her a few names and yelled that he didn't like her as a person and drove off into the sunset.

There is nothing in here to qualify police action. There is no reasonable suspicion a crime is going to take place. There was an argument between two stubborn adults that ended without fault.

How is that anything like calling in a prowler?
edit on 22-2-2013 by Laykilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

You have a massive chip on your shoulder.

Nobody implies that America is barbaric, we're having a discussion about a situation in the UK, based on UK law. You jumped in and tried to apply your own values, we tried to explain that your values are not ours, and now you're saying that makes us egotistical and hypocritical.

Take a good look at yourself.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

the policewoman said that because she was my sister she was not a reliable witness. She was a witness and I asked her from her perspective what she saw.

She said i was very calm and measured and that he was aggressive and yelling and spitting at me - she thought he was going to hit me and was amazed that I did not flinch and continued to look him in the eyes.

She also said I was not rude but he was.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

In both cases, it is the duty of the police to help the individuals involved. Just because you think one is more serious than the other doesn't mean that one can be ignored.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

No, but as I said earlier, the police are being absolutely annihilated by cuts to the front line.

quote]

That may very well be it, It is very worrying though.
edit on 22-2-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laykilla

Actually you make a good point - but good effective policing is also about prevention.

If someone feels threatened, they feel threatened and that should be taken seriously,
How many people have reported to the police incidents where they have been stalked, threatened etc and the police have done nothing - until something really nasty happens,

That is not good police work that is fire fighting !

You can't put sanctions on somebody because they got loud. I'm sorry, that's absurd. Whether it's disrespectful or not, to seek government enforcement and corrections because somebody hurt your feelings is a slippery slope to anybody becoming a prisoner.

It's a horrible precedent -- and since when do the British care about insults. They are some of the most insulting people out there.... their history is conquer and insult.

Oh I see, they want to be treated royally, so when it's them being insulted -- action must be taken.

I get it now.

Again that just show's the cultural difference.....if a man get's in the face of a woman and scream's at her and spits in her face because he is spitting his word's out in rage that is not considered merely insulting or loud or disrespectful in England...it is considered a VERY low form of behaviour. Maybe it is shrugged off in other culture's....but that is NOT the acceptable way that women are treated here.

Infact I take back the cultural difference comment....I would be surprised if even most men in the US shrugged off that behaviour against a woman as petty either. Maybe I'm wrong...but I'm hoping not!

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laykilla
In the other situation, you had a man tell off a woman for parking illegally, he called her a few names and yelled that he didn't like her as a person and drove off into the sunset.

editby]edit on 22-2-2013 by Laykilla because: (no reason given)

I WAS NOT parked illegally,
What part of that sentence is difficult for you to comprehend,
Would you like it in French or German or Mexican ?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

With all due respect, the point is that theirs just one side to the story posted here. Yeah, it's a pretty serious matter when an aggressive man gets in a woman's face, yelling and such, unprovoked. But, from the OP's demeanor in this thread, I find it exceedingly hard to believe that the situation went down as the OP describes. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. Like everyone else in this thread (excluding the OP) I wasn't there. And the fellow who the OP has so grievously maligned in this thread, slandering him as a drunkard, abusive to women and to his family, as a bad driver, medically diagnosing the man as everything from an alcoholic to somebody with hepatitis, he's not here either to defend himself and to give his side of the story.

I wasn't even going to reply to this thread until I read that the OP went to the police over such a silly matter. You clearly take her at face value, and that's fine, but personally, I've elected not to. I've not been rude or abusive, yet the OP has implied that I'm some kind of sexist manimal for not taking her at face value.

Call me crazy, but the OP's story just smells really fishy to me. In that it makes very little sense.
edit on 2/22/2013 by Monger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

What's more worrying is that there's no way to stop it.

The Conservatives were meant to be the socially hard half of government - the ones we cycle in to power to sort out the social problems caused by Labour. They are supposed to strengthen the police.

Labour are supposed to be the economically sensible ones who fix the fiscal mess left by the tories, but then ruin the public services and create poor social conditions.

It was a good cycle, it worked, when the scales tipped too far, we put the other party in.

Now they both hate the police, who can we get to come and sort it out?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

In both cases, it is the duty of the police to help the individuals involved. Just because you think one is more serious than the other doesn't mean that one can be ignored.

One is a non issue, the other is one worth a policeman.

There is a finite amount of police, lets send them all to silly self resolving arguments to be bodyguards.

While all the police are making sure grown adults don't say any bad things to each other, people are getting robbed, stabbed, beat up, and murdered.

Which is quality police? Wasting man power on childish disagreements in the effort to stop another verbal back and forth, or patrolling a beat in a crime riddled neighborhood catching real criminals that hurt people?

Also....

There is no chip on my shoulder, maybe you should read what you write.

It's not just the humour, we tend to understate things in general.

This statement implies that American's are incapable of understanding things in general. Or "Barbaric."

It's not a chip on my shoulder, it's your Freudian slips.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

That is extremely low behavior, but is it a police matter? That is the hiccup that some of us are pointing out.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Put it this way, say that happened right outside a police station, do you think they would just ignore it? Don't think so...

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoodNuz
reply to post by Logos23

That is extremely low behavior, but is it a police matter? That is the hiccup that some of us are pointing out.

THIS. Exactly.

It's bad manners. They want to call the police on someone because they have bad manners!!!

Yet, I'm the "14 year old with a chip on my shoulder."

Weird, eh?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
reply to post by Logos23

I wasn't even going to reply to this thread until I read that the OP went to the police over such a silly matter. You clearly take her at face value, and that's fine, but personally, I've elected not to. I've not been rude or abusive, yet the OP has implied that I'm some kind of sexist manimal for not taking her at face value.

Call me crazy, but the OP's story just smells really fishy to me. In that it makes very little sense.

what bit is fishy to you?
Additionally - it is not a minor incident to be threatened by a man.

Your cavaliar attitude does not reflect the reality of the situation.

You personally may think it is fine to yell and scream at a woman and to abuse her verbally in her face whereby she feels threatened.

Who are you to dispute that I felt scared and threatened [ that is obviously a rhetorical question ]

It is serious to scare and verbally abuse a woman full stop - and it is a matter for the police I am afraid,

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1
Put it this way, say that happened right outside a police station, do you think they would just ignore it? Don't think so...

Yeah, you know what they would have done? They would have said "Sir, leave or get arrested."

That's all that would have happened.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway

the policewoman said that because she was my sister she was not a reliable witness. She was a witness and I asked her from her perspective what she saw.

She said i was very calm and measured and that he was aggressive and yelling and spitting at me - she thought he was going to hit me and was amazed that I did not flinch and continued to look him in the eyes.

And in a previous post you claimed this:

PS love the little dialogue you have made up - as stated i said nothing to him, I did not look at him.

edit on 22-2-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

So which is it? Did you "look him in the eyes" or did you not look at him? Seems your story is changing.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
So why would they ask him to leave or get arrested? Just shows he is in the wrong then...

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Relatives are most often the witenesses that exist and they can give testimony in a court of law. I hope its not UK to do otherwise. For Canada does have common ground to some degree. And my mother gave more testimony than I did when I was assaulted.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
reply to post by Logos23

what bit is fishy to you?
Additionally - it is not a minor incident to be threatened by a man.

Your cavaliar attitude does not reflect the reality of the situation.

You personally may think it is fine to yell and scream at a woman and to abuse her verbally in her face whereby she feels threatened.

Who are you to dispute that I felt scared and threatened [ that is obviously a rhetorical question ]

It is serious to scare and verbally abuse a woman full stop - and it is a matter for the police I am afraid,

You were NOT threatened.

It's also not illegal to scare someone. It's illegal to threaten someone. Being scared is subjective, meaning everyone is scared of different stuff. Being scared is not the same as someone threatening you.

In order for him to have "Threatened you" he would have had to make a threat against you.

This is something he DID NOT DO.

An example of a person threatening another person;

"Shut up or I'm gonna kill you!"

The threat being death.

"Knock it off before I knock you off"

The threat being use of physical force.

If he didn't make a threat, he did not threaten you, even if you felt "Threatened."

It is not a police matter just because he shook you up.

Is it a police matter when a mouse runs through your living room?

Scared =/= Threatened.

It's only a police matter when there is reasonable suspicion that you were in danger.

There is no reasonable suspicion that you were in danger.

I'm not trying to bicker with you, you're wrong. If it was a police matter, why did the police tell you it wasn't?

It's because you don't understand... all I'm trying to do is make you understand.....

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join