It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever seen English children television

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

And we all know that "yes we can" when played back wards on YT comes out as "thank you satan"
I always wondered how he pulled that hot blonde, she's way out of his league

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theflyingweldsman
The OP has a point and a question;
That's fine, but when the OP is asked for specific examples of the terrible dangers of kids TV in the UK he remains silent.
So far we've got CO2, accepting people from different races, and handicapped people. I disagree with the OP's claims and look forward to a better explanation based on his 'research' - He has failed to provide any reasonable detail and until such time that he does I would suggest that reminiscing about childhood TV is all this thread is worth.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Theflyingweldsman

Cool your beans chap, the op should have noticed from his satellite telly that if its just crash bang wallop you want, there is cartoon network for ben ten, johnny test and thundercats etc.and gumball, which rules.
But if you want a bit of an educational or moral element, there are the bbc kids channels. Frankly I'm shocked the op never took the time to press the plus/minus channel button and find out for himself, inquisitive soul that he is.

Now who's seen the new thundercats? I have a double box set of the classic season one, about 14 disks in all. I think the new one stands up in it's own right

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Cbbc, ceebeebees, cartoon network 1 and 2, cartoonito, jetix, pop, boomerang, citv, nickelodeon, nicktoons, nick jr 1 and 2, disney channel, disney xd, disney cinemagic, disney junior. These are just the exclusively kids channels I get, others carry kids shows too.
Seems that there is plenty of choice- as well as plenty of evidence that the op needs assistance in seeing the wood from the trees

edit on 23-2-2013 by skalla because: clarity

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by iamdavid

I always prefered your tv shows that got shown over here when I was a kid, all out violence. Thundercats, turtles, He Man, jase and the wheel warriors and much much more. Now our kids don't get that many cartoons like that over here now, at least not on our standard 5 stations. Its all bright coloured things making stupid noises.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeopleParty

Its all bright coloured things making stupid noises.
Ah you mean Sky News

Where the OP fails is there is nothing that does not carry some sort of message. from the Beano through DC comics, TV to Avatar and every country in this world is the same. So his basic premise is seriously flawed.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamdavid
I don't live in England, but I can receive satellite television from you.
For research, I even purchased the full sky tv package so I could watch everything you have access to.

Why? Well, England is pretty much the melting pot of A LOT of different nationalities, and I foresee that the EU will follow along the same path in the future.

I pretty much ended up watching the children programs, because, Whoa that stuff is just pure propaganda!

It's all about CO2, Accepting people from different races, and handicapped people.

Now I can agree on the last one, but seriously, why the hell can't a simple program for children aged maybe 1-5 not be just about, oh you know, things that are for children, do you not see the heavy load of political propaganda that is being force fed to the members of your future voters; who absolutely will accept everything as fact and is yet to develop a sense of critical thought..

I don't care how politically correct the message is, but this is just disgusting!

Not sure which programmes you are referring to - it might be useful if you told us?

And also, what exacty is so despicably evil about teaching children to accept people of different races and those who have handicaps?
Sound to me like our kids programmes are doing good!

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
The moralist program started in the USA with stuff like he-man having to do a 1 min monologue at the end of the program to explain why he did something or why something was wrong

And these days programs are made to have the most resale value across the world so its hardly surprising that stuffs not as challenging as it used to be

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by iamdavid

You obviously haven't been watching a lot of Thomas the tank engine, Enjy Benjy, Pokoyo, Pingu, or in the night garden then.

Pure children's entertainment without an agenda other than being magical for the kids.

My Kids loved them. (and so did i, Shhhhh)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

Nah, Ivor the Engine, The Clangers, Mr Benn and Rhubarb & Custard were much better

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

I remember that at the end of He-man

Pity the OP seems to have abandoned this thread though, I was looking forward to seeing the specifics behind the terrible claims directed towards UK kids TV. For someone so passionate about their case it is strange that they now appear to let the argument just slide away about this ongoing 'scandal'

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Do they still write kids tv for the parents as well as the kids? I always loved the adult jokes included in Magic Roundabout (Dylan the rabbit stoned and strumming his guitar - or Zebedee speeding on his spring - even Ermintrude the cow seemed to be dazed and confused while munching mushrooms). Was it cynical brainwashing - or simply a sense of humour?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by davethebear
As we are still waiting to hear from the opening op concerning the TV programmes he is referring to, here are 6 of my favourite childrens TV programmes when I was growing up in the 70's.....

edit on 23-2-2013 by davethebear because: (no reason given)

Shame on you all!!

I thought someone might have spotted Jeremy Irons in Playaway.

...and that Toni Arthur is rather nice ( even when I was 5 years old).

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Knobby

and we all know what jeremy irons lowered that umbrella for, the smutty pup - he never changed...

i kinda had a crush on toni arthur too, she was the more genteel child's suzy quattro

edit on 23-2-2013 by skalla because: too busy imagining what jeremy irons did to toni arthur to concentrate on spelling

edit on 23-2-2013 by skalla because: see above

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I don't know a thing about UK television, but as a former kid, I feel compelled to say that political correctedness in the shows I saw had a strangely non-sincere, manufactured feeling to it. Racial tolerance, for example. People say that kids will gladly play with each other with no regard for superficial differences... well then, what is there to teach?
The message that really seems to come across is this: 'Race is big deal-- enough that we had to base a whole episode around it. Here's how you handle it.'
It's perpetuating a constructed conflict and then replacing your innate acceptance with something that you have to Think About and Do Right.
I remember being young and innocent, playing with everyone without a thought or care in the world about how they looked. Now, thanks to programming, I'm skittish about how I think and act towards other races.
There's no going back, and I am so annoyed.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
There's a show we get here and I'm fairly sure it's from th USA called 'yo gabba gabba' worst show ever on so many levels. My kids have liked it at times

en.m.wikipedia.org...!

Makes no sense, songs make no sense and the characters a scary argh. I must admit to thinking Thomas the tank is a little evil too at times or just "a very naughty engine" as the fat controller always says

Eta oops I don't think he's called the fat controller any more!!!
edit on 24-2-2013 by feelingconnected because: Because

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

a great selection of classic kids' TV there. good stuff, high nostalgia value for me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join