It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever seen English children television

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Actually the OP may be onto something here.

Is Dr. Who preparing us for the Tories dismantling of the NHS?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I remember when this happened when the BBC children's channel CBeebies employed a new children's presenter with an obvious physical disability....

I actually welcomed it...It gave me a great opportunity to talk to my two small children about disability and the diversity of people that make up our society.....

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by iamdavid

I love Bob the Builder and Postman Pat [ he is BBC] - but I do agree about the BBC children's acted programmes they are just so 'politically' staged it is pathetic.

For example I loved ' Merlin' and I actually loved the actress who played Guinevere - and she played the role really well - but she is mixed race / african / white.

Guinevere was a celtic princess she was white ..

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I have noticed similar in Children's textbooks (former teacher here).
nothing wrong, of course, wi teachin tolerance, diversity, etc, but what about other values?
I distinctly remember a story in my book when I was about in the 5th grade of a young forest fire fighter and an older one. they put out a brush fire and the older warned him about reflashes from smoking piles but the younger disregarded and left several smoldering piles. next day, reflash.

the young guy (and presumably the reader) learned two lessons: 1) do a thorough job, and 2) respect the olders.
how often are these values presented? honesty? hard work?
another thing I remember; in an old Social Studies book; an account of Mass Production, and an explanation of how such manufacturing keeps prices down. there was a picture of two kids looking in the window at a new bicycle for $1,000 (this is what prices would be without mass prod). Somehow I doubt such lessons are presented (I see none in the books I look thru, certainly not tv).

I've heard conservatives in the US complain about the 'Dopey Dad' syndrome, in which adult males / fathers are inevitably portrayed as clueless oafs that have to be guided by the smarter mom/kids. Homer Simpson is kind of a poster child for this.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Because that would be considered "racist". If a white cop pulls over a black driver, the cop only did so because he is racist and hates blacks. If a white guy gets shot by a black cop during a traffic stop, obviously he must have pulled a gun on the cop, yet if the white cop shoots the black driver in self defense, it's a murder commited by a racist cop! Just who are the racists, really?
Where do children learn to hate? Kids when left alone, will happily play with each other no matter what their skin colours, and its a damn shame if they have parents who teach them otherwise!

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway
For example I loved ' Merlin' and I actually loved the actress who played Guinevere - and she played the role really well - but she is mixed race / african / white.

Guinevere was a celtic princess she was white ..

That depends very much on the source and even in the ninth century when the Parzival Cycles, on which the Arthurian mythology is based, were first circulated, it would not be impossible for a woman of mixed race, or simply, of darker complexion, to have been the wife of powerful feudal lord. Women were traded as wives, consorts and courtesans from all over Europe and Asia at that time. Besides, in no version of the Arthurian legends is Guinevere described as a 'Celtic Princess', and her descriptions in vary depending upon the vision of the author. So why not in this case too...seems perfectly appropriate to me. Malory said she was descended from Romans...lots of mixed races in Rome

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
My favorite is the Octonuaghts. It is a clever show.

There are some shows I do not like, not because of brainwashing agenda but because I am just not into them, there is a robot show and it is just silly with harsh sounds and bold themes. Bob the builder and thomas the tank are too mainstream for my likeing.

Peppa pig is completey harmless. I often wondered that they must have really good park brakes to be able to park on those oh so tall hills.

So op not sure if I agree with you.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I absolutely don't understand your point and what is wrong with this kind of television. Most children programs from the US are based on violence. I would prefer my children to see more normal television, although nowadays this difficult with all the crap that comes straight from the US of A.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizenoftheworld

I absolutely don't understand your point and what is wrong with this kind of television. Most children programs from the US are based on violence. I would prefer my children to see more normal television, although nowadays this difficult with all the crap that comes straight from the US of A.

Ah, remember this:

For research, I even purchased the full sky tv package so I could watch everything you have access to

It is some kind of scientific study I imagine, by someone who does not live in the UK.
It would be interesting to see comparative examples of kids TV from the OP's country of origin...oh, wait, they don't seem to be willing to provide that, oh dear.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

PC is the strict diet in the uk!

Here is an example of the level of daftness!

ba ba black sheep have you any wool etc etc
has been banned in favor of the political correct

"ba ba rainbow sheep have you any" ........

Has anyone ever seen a a multicolored sheep??

its a joke

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4

PC is the strict diet in the uk!

Here is an example of the level of daftness!

ba ba black sheep have you any wool etc etc
has been banned in favor of the political correct

"ba ba rainbow sheep have you any" ........

Has anyone ever seen a a multicolored sheep??

its a joke

Got a link to reference that to or is it just something you read in the Daily Mail relating to an inner London council?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I have a son with autism who watched cbeebies (for babies and toddlers) for years longer than what would be considered "normal", so we saw what drivel they teach the kids on it for longer, maybe than most parents

There is a brainwashing going on, anyone with eyes can see it.

Environmentalism, CO2 and Disabled people is harmless and easily dissmissed as "Education" others would call it confronting children with things that they cannot fully comprehend.

The "programs" are not necessarily the problem.
They are little works of art.
Rastamouse is excellent, yes, Peppa pig also.

It's the presenters in between.

Heres a vid from 2008...

scary.

Apart from the subliminal sexual perversion, they would also like their victims to be non-communicative...

Another thing they do is encourage the kids to do strange flapping and hopping movements,

typical of autism, which we discourage our son from doing.

Why would TV presenters want to encourage stereotypical autistic behaviour in otherwise unaffected children?

Functioning autism is the perfect model of a perfekt citizen, blindly obeying dogma, observing set rituals, routines, non communicative slaves within themselves.

My wife was absolutley disgusted with the propaganda that the children were being programmed with.

Children are being taught to "conserve" electricity before they know what it is!

They are brainwashed about deforestation before they learn about forests,

They are taught that Carbon Dioxide is a poison!

They are taught that cfl lightbulbs are good for the planet.

This is more than a dumbing down.

This is changing the way humans percieve the world.

Not Make. Recycle.

Not Fix, Replace.

"They" are trying to change the mentality of the next generations.

For "Their" own reasons.

This was much worse during the blair years, when the whole country was being brainwashed.

Here are some more examples from back then (these were uploaded in 2008)

It's disgusting.

Now after saville maybe people will take this more seriously.

edit on 22/2/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: To her fair works did Nature link The human soul that through me ran; And much it grieved my heart to think What man has made of man.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
leave the telly tubbies alone yes you sure have more than enough of them in america

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Jesus, what's wrong with teaching kids about diversity and disabled people. If the parents are too ignorant to do it then maybe its not a bad thing kids shows push the message. Would you prefer shows that taught kids to hate on the disabled kids and make jibes about those from other ethnic back grounds. Would that make you all happy having your kids watch that?

Just stick them in front of Fox News instead, its aimed at a child level of understanding, so they should get the messages and grow up to think disability is a punishment by god and not to trust anyone of an ethnic background..

Here's a thought, play with your kids, read to them , take them to the park. Don't shove them in front of the TV.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Well...let's see...telling kids to respect different people of different races as well as respecting the handicapped...I would agree with all that as well as I think just about everyone would bar those that are racist.

C02?

Well...reguardless of whether it is C02 or Methane that is warming our planet...since it has been proven not to be an increase in Solar Radiation...the fact is our Planet is warming quicker than anytime in the last 100,000 years and the Poles Ice Cores prove this.

Wait till we get the first Catagory 6 Hurricane and when it destroys a bunch of CEO's beach homes...you will see action! LOL!

Split Infinity

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   

You are talking utter lies. Im a Brit and British childrens TV is nothing like that , and any of this accepting of others of different races and the handicapped has been happening on kids TV for over 10yrs now and doesnt brainwash them at all. You have a narrow brain so go away with your garbbage.

More lies I go to groups with my kids and they sing baa baa black sheep. Its ignorant idiots who think its racist. Its about SHEEP for goodness sakes and they are allowed to sing these sorts of songs.
edit on 23-2-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I am no expert on children’s television but the BBC has a long history of ground breaking, award winning children’s TV

Example: Vision On

Of course many Children’s programmes contain a message. So do many adult programmes and films from every country in the world. District 9 was a SciFi movie that deals with humanity, xenophobia and social segregation.

I cannot think of any programme or film worth its salt that does not have a message and sometimes that message changes world views. All Quiet On The Western Front being one of them and is still relevant today 83 years later.

Children’s programming should be informative, should have a message that allows parents to discuss issues with them and not be a box to stare at to keep them quiet.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
i watch cbeebies all day every day with my little 3 year old princess
i dont see any subliminal messages, any brain washing techniques or any propoganda

just for remoniscing purposes
heres 2 of my favs as a kid

stop it and tidy up! (voiced by Terry Wogan)

trapdoor

edit on 23-2-2013 by GezinhoKiko because: net goblins again did it!

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
To be honest I don't watch children's shows these days as much as i used to but on the occasion i have i felt there is propaganda but when your really young i don't think about things like that.
Silly cartoons & people dressed up is all you care about.
back in my day with the magic roundabout,mr benn,postman pat,the raggy dolls & loads of others there was alot more of this going on but it didn't effect that generation,we knew at the end of the day it was fun & kept us happy for 30 minutes or so.

Todays children's show are very bady written & full of useless nonsense but as children they enjoy it,we as adults look into it to much sometimes i feel.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
My son used to love Mr.Maker before he was of schoolgoing age-for the creative projects.I thought it was an excellent lil kid's show-made them see things not as they were(objects) but what they could become with a bit of imagination.Can't speak for the rest,but that one was a really educational show.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join