It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I'm not an Atheist

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
The main problem with atheism from what I've been able to discern is the low stature that it relegates man to in the creation i.e.: a thing.

From the POV of a non-localized consciousness aka enlightenment, it's an absurd presupposition and presumption, and thus ought to represent a source of much humor.

You're right, it is funny. We look at the life on this planet and we can say, Hey, we're on this planet just like all the other animals. Hey, we're made of flesh and blood just like all the other animals. Hey, we have to eat and poop and breathe just like all the other animals. Hey, we have to mate in order to make babies just like all the other animals. Hey, we grow old just like all the other animals. Hey, we die just like all the other animals.

We look at a mountain of evidence and can easily deduce that we ARE animals just like all the other animals.

Now we look at the idea of gods and angels and spirits on this planet and we can see how there is nothing we can say because there is no evidence. And of course this is why ya just got to have faith.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
The main problem with atheism from what I've been able to discern is the low stature that it relegates man to in the creation i.e.: a thing.

From the POV of a non-localized consciousness aka enlightenment, it's an absurd presupposition and presumption, and thus ought to represent a source of much humor.

You're right, it is funny. We look at the life on this planet and we can say, Hey, we're on this planet just like all the other animals. Hey, we're made of flesh and blood just like all the other animals. Hey, we have to eat and poop and breathe just like all the other animals. Hey, we have to mate in order to make babies just like all the other animals. Hey, we grow old just like all the other animals. Hey, we die just like all the other animals.

We look at a mountain of evidence and can easily deduce that we ARE animals just like all the other animals.

Now we look at the idea of gods and angels and spirits on this planet and we can see how there is nothing we can say because there is no evidence. And of course this is why ya just got to have faith.

What is the statistical probability of there being a life sustaining, naturally harmonious planet like Earth?

What is the statistical probability of there being a planet like earth where almost all cultures and civilizations acknowledged a higher being?

We are animals... But we are in many ways superior to other animals. We can instill our will to these animals (domestication, cultivation, etc.)

Do you think this all happened by chance... Random?

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Atheist ....what a dumb word. Only a human could have thought it up....

Atheists just think they're atheists, but realistically when you think about it they're not. They still have life that was given to them by God, and a soul, and their body is still made of atoms which are nothing but energy. Just tiny energy building blocks, everyone one of which likely house some aspect of Gods omnipresence. They might not have the spirit in them but everything that they have is not atheist when you think about it really. The only thing that is is their belief perhaps. But just by thinking it doesn't somehow dismiss everything else that is in them and all around them in terms of Gods omnipresence. So even if you think and believe you're an atheist you're really not. The only time you're actually going to become an atheist is if unfortunately you end up in hell, as in that moment that's when people finally do have full separation from God. But on this earth you get a meaningless word in you mind. In reality it's toothless, God still emanates in every atom in your body, and in your life force. You can't actually turn him off or away just yet.
edit on 2-9-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

reply to post by DelayedChristmas

The only honest answer is, we don't know. If you are asking if a perfect entity created it all, the answer is a resounding no. If you want to say that an intelligent alien species had something to do with it, or that a scientist from another dimension created our universe in an experiment - though highly improbable, I can't say it is impossible. No perfect god. Never. Ever. Not possible.

We are animals... But we are in many ways superior to other animals. We can instill our will to these animals (domestication, cultivation, etc.)

We are self-centered, arrogant animals that think we are ALL that. If birds could talk they would say that they can fly with their own wings; humans can't do that. Therefore they would think they were superior.

Polar bears live out in the open in below freezing temps. Humans can't do that. So polar bears would think they were superior. Can you build a dam with your teeth? Swim faster than a shark?

Point being, many species have unique abilities that would make them feel superior if they could think about it. We can think. That's our unique ability, but it doesn't make us superior.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

The only honest answer is, we don't know. If you are asking if a perfect entity created it all, the answer is a resounding no. If you want to say that an intelligent alien species had something to do with it, or that a scientist from another dimension created our universe in an experiment - though highly improbable, I can't say it is impossible. No perfect god. Never. Ever. Not possible.

We are self-centered, arrogant animals that think we are ALL that. If birds could talk they would say that they can fly with their own wings; humans can't do that. Therefore they would think they were superior.

Polar bears live out in the open in below freezing temps. Humans can't do that. So polar bears would think they were superior. Can you build a dam with your teeth? Swim faster than a shark?

Point being, many species have unique abilities that would make them feel superior if they could think about it. We can think. That's our unique ability, but it doesn't make us superior.

You say, we don't know. Then you say with a resounding no that a perfect creator did all this.

How do you know what perfection is?

Isn't the rational answer to find out for yourself with your mind open to all possibilities? The same question you ask of believers?

I believe all sides can do well with the questions they ask of the other parties.

And I say superior because Human beings have the most impact on the planet relative to the other animals. Animals do their thang but they leave the Earth as the Earth and have shown to be part of the cycle of life without having a resounding detrimental effect to it, with the exception of beavers.
edit on 2-9-2013 by DelayedChristmas because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-9-2013 by DelayedChristmas because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

You say, we don't know. Then you say with a resounding no that a perfect creator did all this. How do you know what perfection is?

The focus on that statement is about perfection. For something or someone to live in an infinite state of perfection is impossible. To know everything, to be exactly in the same mental, emotional, and physical state throughout all of eternity, just can't happen. Plus there's this: If a perfect god was indeed perfect, then he/she/it wouldn't have needed or wanted to created this universe. This being would have been completely self contained and completely self sustaining.

edit on 9/2/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Isn't the rational answer to find out for yourself with your mind open to all possibilities?

No. The rational answer is to find all the rational answers and discard all the irrational ones. A perfect god is irrational and illogical. Am imperfect god is almost rational, except for the fact that he/she/it wouldn't be a god then. A imperfect creator? Possibly. A god? No.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I believe all sides can do well with the questions they ask of the other parties.

Here's the problem with that. The parties in such debates aren't looking for truth. They are looking to defend their beliefs no matter how irrational those beliefs may be.

I am not that way. I can look at the little machines in our DNA and say, "Wow, there's something here that's beyond our comprehension." I can readily admit that they sure look as though they were created. But, historically, too many times man has come to the conclusion that a god directly and intentionally caused volcanic eruptions, hurricanes, tidal waves, plagues, infestations...and we were wrong. These were simply natural occurrences. So, if we follow that line of reasoning, then the best course of action is to wait and see if science can ever come up with an natural explanation for how everything came into existence.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

And I say superior because Human beings have the most impact on the planet relative to the other animals. Animals do their thang but they leave the Earth as the Earth and have shown to be part of the cycle of life without having a resounding detrimental effect to it, with the exception of beavers.

On this I would have to ask for your definition of 'superior'. Seeing as you understand that mankind is the most detrimental force on the planet it would make us inferior to all other species. And, I would wholeheartedly agree with that.
edit on 9/2/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join