It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS "Quote" and "Reply" Buttons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
So, I have been asked one time to use the "Quote" button in order to help ease reading in threads where I am responding to someone's argument or statement. However, how come the "Quote" button does not act like the "Reply" button and notify the other ATS member that they have a reply on a forum topic?

I have been told by someone that they would have liked to respond to my response to their topic before, but didn't realize until much later that I had responded to them, because the "Quote" button did not send them a notice to their inbox.

What is the proper procedure? Should I "Reply" and then somehow navigate on another browser tab back to the forum in order to copy and paste the relevant information for the quote?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Originally posted by darkbake
Should I "Reply" and then somehow navigate on another browser tab back to the forum in order to copy and paste the relevant information for the quote?

Here's what I do to get what you see above:

Click "Reply-To"
Cntr A, Cntr C (select all text and copy it)
Back arrow (returns you to the post)
Click "Quote"
Cntr V (Places the "reply-to" link at the top of the page)

Now, you have the reply and the quote and can edit accordingly. I'm not sure if it sends a notification, but you should be able to check your list and tell.

I like to see posts like this because I can click on the link and see what they're responding to.

edit on 2/22/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I use a two tab system.

I will press CTRL + click reply, a new tab opens up with a reply box.

I then copy/paste the individual pieces of text I want to reply to, place [ quote ] tags in the right places and then go ahead and write my post.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Thank you!
I didn't know that!

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

It's really useful if you want to reply to multiple people at once, cause you can just copy/paste the reply to text from the box that appears.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I was genuinely under the imprssion that the "Quote" button DOES notify the other member.

When I'm adding new information to one of my threads, i sometimes do this by "replying" to a previous post of mine, which of course generates a message among my own "replies received" notifications.
I could have sworn that this also happens when i do it via the "Quote" button...

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Yes, the quote OR the reply will generate a notice in your Messages Inbox, under replies.

It can be confusing cause when you QUOTE a post, you don't get that nice little header that you would see at the top of this post for example.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Thanks everyone, great ideas. And I didn't know about the header, that can be useful if one wants to go back to the post being replied to. And thanks for clearing up that, it is good to be informed about the "quote" button.
edit on 23-2-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
D.P.
edit on 23-2-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join