It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feedback regarding Samuru - Issue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
To Whom It may concern, though I am pretty sure this should be addressed to Skeptic Overlord.

With regards to the Samuru search engine that you have now integrated into the ATS website as our standard search engine, I noticed then when posting threads for the Breaking Alternative Forums, where we are required to include the exact name of article, Samuru provides no results at all.

Now, I am not sure if the search engine is doing such a good job and saying absolutely nothing related to my query is present on ATS or if it is having trouble searching with the long titles I enter.

Just some feedback. Thanks

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It might be your browser? I've had no problems using it at all. I hated the old search and this one works way better for me.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by forgetmenot

Its not really a problem. Just for example if a article title was "blah blah blee blee blah" and I copy that and paste it into the search engine, the results come up with nothing, not even related articles or anything. Nothing about Blah or Blee let alone the actually title
I think i am having to much fun with the funny title.

Thats all.

ETA

Thank you for your input though

edit on 22-2-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Well, this is what I get no matter what I search for:

It appears you may have searched for an unsupported topic. Being focused on using the science of language heuristics to create search results that contain useful content means we don’t support searches for content that potentially infringes on copyright, nor searches for adult content. If you feel you received this message in error, and would like to assist us in finding out why, please visit our support page.

And I tried an exact search even:

"Iran to Execute 4 Bankers on Fraud Charges" Right on the front page...nothing.

Tried an old thread exactly...nothing but the same.

Bring back the old one!

Peace

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

That's exactly what I just got when I tried to search for that awesome thread "All roads lead to Rome".

I typed the exact title in both with and without the inverted commas.

This needs to be addressed - and pronto!

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
sadly all roads lead to Rome or Google

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

It does take the engine time to crawl our site. I tried the same terms tonight,

Iran to Execute 4 Bankers on Fraud Charges

and got a plethora of information.

I tried a few other search terms, worked fine.

I tried my own username, worked fine.

I was looking in the archives for something else, and was surprised to see the samuru engine in place. My heart almost skipped a beat.

You guys still don't realize what S.O. is developing here. No clue.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by jude11

It does take the engine time to crawl our site. I tried the same terms tonight,

Iran to Execute 4 Bankers on Fraud Charges

and got a plethora of information.

I tried a few other search terms, worked fine.

I tried my own username, worked fine.

I was looking in the archives for something else, and was surprised to see the samuru engine in place. My heart almost skipped a beat.

You guys still don't realize what S.O. is developing here. No clue.

First of all...the search is only NOW working better.

Secondly, this is a Forum for feedback and NOT insults. You should know this by now judging by your join date.

Peace

edit on 26-2-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
i for one like it , it works just fine where as before log off got to ie8 enter look up, log off, well you get the idea , and no opening a second tap to ie8, froze compu, now just to work on my av , or keep it the way it is, makes you think what is it now you see me now you don't.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
i for one like it , it works just fine where as before log off got to ie8 enter look up, log off, well you get the idea , and no opening a second tap to ie8, froze compu, now just to work on my av , or keep it the way it is, makes you think what is it now you see me now you don't.

If you insist on using the English language, please do it correctly.

Peacer

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

My apology for the perceived insult. Much love for the members up north, jude.

It's an upgrade, and rolled out live. Bound to be hiccups, sure, but change is good.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I honestly don't see why people whine about simple things.

site:abovetopsecret.com "search terms"

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by amraks

Who is whining? I am just offering feedback based on my experiences. I never said I couldn’t work around it, or figure it out. Nor do i think anyone who has commenting so far is whining.

Thank you for your input, but probably would have left out a few parts, maybe next time

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by amraks
I honestly don't see why people whine about simple things.

site:abovetopsecret.com "search terms"

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by jude11

My apology for the perceived insult. Much love for the members up north, jude.

It's an upgrade, and rolled out live. Bound to be hiccups, sure, but change is good.

We're good.

Thanks and Peace to you.

Jude11

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
Just for example if a article title was "blah blah blee blee blah" and I copy that and paste it into the search engine, the results come up with nothing, not even related articles or anything. Nothing about Blah or Blee let alone the actually title
I think i am having to much fun with the funny title.

First, be aware that the Samuru search filed in the upper-right corner of ATS is for searching ATS, not the entire web. Even if you're in Samuru after searching from ATS, it's still "toggled" to search only ATS.

That being said...

Be generally cautious of copying-and-pasting things like titles from HTML pages. Some site's style/HTML can introduce unseen characters in-between the words. For example, if you select a title at the top of a thread page on ATS, some versions of Safari inject an odd non-standard character in front of the first word. This can screw up searches.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thank you for the reply SO.

I am aware that the engines functionality is currently confined to ATS, but the engine prior to Samuru would key up on individual words, regardless if I copied and pasted an Article directly into it or not.

This being said, what you have suggested about hidden characters could be one of the problems.

Again this is not really a problem, but some user generated feedback. I just experience this “issue” from time to time when I check and see if a article has already been posted in the Breaking Alternative News forum which requires the exact title of said article. Again, “issue” still seems like harsh term to us.

But anyways, thanks again.

edit on 28-2-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Both search engines didn't sort by date. Starting a new thread about a current event that happened today shouldn't mean you should have to sort through similar posts from ten years ago. A recent function on the search bar would be nice, something to examine threads from the last five days from a keyword so we can tell if there is a thread about it already. New and Top topics sometimes don't go two days back and often a lot of threads are created in an hour pushing the related thread off the board..

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Dear Springer et al:

Your new search engine sucks.

Sincerely,
TIWWA

new topics

top topics

join