It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eternal English Teachers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
You probably know someone who is a walking English teacher. These people have a condition which is like grammar Nazism and trolling combined. They can't stop correcting others, even though their corrections are irrelevant and there is no fixed standard.

Why are they like trolls? They focus on insubstantial issues by adhering to their own paradigm of ''correctness''. They are LIKE trolls, but they aren't real-life trolls, because they truly believe in what they are doing.

People who do the above are often rigid in all areas of their lives.

If you get carried away, the gist of the conversation is no longer the most important part, but whether your grammar/pronunciation/what have you is correct.

It is one thing to teach someone English, but it is another to extend that umbrella over everyone you meet.

Funnily enough, people with enormous linguistic knowledge rarely, if ever, feel the need to correct anyone because they understand language is a malleable mechanism, plus they don't have to show how proficient they are. It is self-evident.

In essence, the eternal correctors are trying to show how smart they are; what they are really showing is ineptness and self-esteem issues. Perhaps they lack an internal sense of security and predictable language patters give them just that. Your guess is as good as mine.

These individuals exist in all shapes and sizes, but the English language is so widespread that eternal English teachers just can't resist the temptation.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Couldn't agree more OP: Not a fan of the grammar or spelling police myself.

edit on 22-2-2013 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FlowThruSpace

Congratulations, B+

Only joking.

edit on 22-2-2013 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Is this in response to a particular situation? Sounds... personal.

My wife often calls me a grammatical d***head... but it's just because I pick these things out. It bothers me when there are grammatical issues and spelling issues in published materials, because -- at the very least -- everything you're using to write those materials has integrated spell-check and grammar-check abilities. And I tend to be one of those people that will walk into a room and quickly scan every piece of text in the place. (To the point where I will sometimes notice a phrase, then spend the next 5 minutes trying to find where I saw it.)

I won't be the one to tell you that your argument is invalid because you used the wrong [there, their, they're], but if I know you well enough, I may chastise you for it. What bothers me is when someone obviously doesn't care. They're not difficult rules to follow, but they can make all the difference in actually communicating. As for the language being malleable... yes. But not to a ridiculous level. Knowing the rules, and choosing to bend them is very different from not knowing the rules, and being militant about it.

That difference also tends to be really obvious.

Long story short: Agreed. Ish.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

If the language is so malleable, then what is the point in bothering with learning the proper spelling and usage of words in the first place? They're just going to get jumbled up in the end by people too incompetent to properly use them.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrikeyMagnet

Is this in response to a particular situation? Sounds... personal.

My wife often calls me a grammatical d***head... but it's just because I pick these things out. It bothers me when there are grammatical issues and spelling issues in published materials, because -- at the very least -- everything you're using to write those materials has integrated spell-check and grammar-check abilities. And I tend to be one of those people that will walk into a room and quickly scan every piece of text in the place. (To the point where I will sometimes notice a phrase, then spend the next 5 minutes trying to find where I saw it.)

I won't be the one to tell you that your argument is invalid because you used the wrong [there, their, they're], but if I know you well enough, I may chastise you for it. What bothers me is when someone obviously doesn't care. They're not difficult rules to follow, but they can make all the difference in actually communicating. As for the language being malleable... yes. But not to a ridiculous level. Knowing the rules, and choosing to bend them is very different from not knowing the rules, and being militant about it.

That difference also tends to be really obvious.

Long story short: Agreed. Ish.

No, it's just an observation. I've enough skill to repel any... linguistic advances

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quibbler

If the language is so malleable, then what is the point in bothering with learning the proper spelling and usage of words in the first place? They're just going to get jumbled up in the end by people too incompetent to properly use them.

Of course, a certain level of competence MUST be present. The words: certain level are relative and we know what happens then.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
OP you are quite right to be honest.

Shakespeare is renowned as a genius with words and language, but he created many of the words himself.

Basically, I believe we should be able to create words, as this is what vocabulary is all about; different words same meaning.

But if you spell incorrectly then yes you should be brought up on it, because otherwise you may as well write in onomatopoeia and interpret the sounds as a form of language.
edit on 22-2-2013 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Stuff them
A good idea doesn't have to be grammaticaly correct
It just has to be a good idea and worth debate.
I didn't edit on purpose

Just people trying to show intelligence without having any genuine impact.

Don't stress about it buddy they just can't think of anything interesting to say but want to post.

We have to remember ATS is international and perfect english is not every members education. Allow for that and enjoy the post

Sad as it is the grammer (on purpose) nazis forget that and want to feel superior,
It's their fix.
Who cares ?

I'd like to see them correct hebrew for example, or punjabi, or arabic, Or, well you get the idea

edit on 22-2-2013 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
Stuff them
A good idea doesn't have to be grammaticaly correct
It just has to be a good idea and worth debate.
I didn't edit on purpose

Just people trying to show intelligence without having any genuine impact.

Don't stress about it buddy they just can't think of anything interesting to say but want to post.

Sad as it is

Yeah, it's like a compulsion. Stressing over it is pointless, because it only gives them (the evil grammarians) more ammunition.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Thanks
I was busy editing my post when you replied
But really how's this ?

Tanks
I woz bizy editing mi posted wen yu reply
Still get the message ?
That's the point

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

When people get aggravated from being corrected on what they write, what I hear is, "I don't care how sloppy my writing is, so you just have to put up with it."

Just the opposite, if I make a persistent error in my writing I want to know about it.

Plus, those of us that have been involved in reading and writing over the years have become conditioned to decent form in what we read. It isn't so much that we want to pick someone apart, it's that reading garbage is literally painful. The only way to stop that pain is to inform sloppy writers to stop it! lol

There's a difference between reading something where English is a second language and reading something written by lazy people. I'll forgive the second language, but if lazy writers don't want to put in the time to make their writing legible, why should any of us take the time to read it?

No capital letters, no punctuation, no me.
edit on 2/22/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

When people get aggravated from being corrected on what they write, what I hear is, "I don't care how sloppy my writing is, so you just have to put up with it."

Just the opposite, if I make a persistent error in my writing I want to know about it.

Plus, those of us that have been involved in reading and writing over the years have become conditioned to decent form in what we read. It isn't so much that we want to pick someone apart, it's that reading garbage is literally painful. The only way to stop that pain is to inform sloppy writers to stop it! lol

There's a difference between reading something where English is a second language and reading something written by lazy people. I'll forgive the second language, but if lazy writers don't want to put in the time to make their writing legible, why should any of us take the time to read it?

No capital letters, no punctuation, no me.
edit on 2/22/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

That's a valid argument, but there are groups which use non-mainstream language as their own not because they disrespect their readership, but rather that's all they know.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

just spell check - not rocket science,

join