It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Envy... is this why people hate??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Envy:

v. t.) To feel envy at or towards; to be envious of; to have a feeling of uneasiness or mortification in regard to (any one), arising from the sight of another's excellence or good fortune and a longing to possess it.
(n.) An object of envious notice or feeling.
(v. i.) To show malice or ill will; to rail.
(v. t.) To emulate.
(n.) Public odium; ill repute.
(v. i.) To be filled with envious feelings; to regard anything with grudging and longing eyes; -- used especially with at.
(n.) Chagrin, mortification, discontent, or uneasiness at the sight of another's excellence or good fortune, accompanied with some degree of hatred and a desire to possess equal advantages; malicious grudging; -- usually followed by of; as, they did this in envy of Caesar.
(n.) Emulation; rivalry.
(v. t.) To hate.
(v. t.) To feel envy on account of; to have a feeling of grief or repining, with a longing to possess (some excellence or good fortune of another, or an equal good fortune, etc.); to look with grudging upon; to begrudge.
(v. t.) To long after; to desire strongly; to covet.
(n.) Malice; ill will; spite.
(v. t.) To do harm to; to injure; to disparage.

Envy, jealousy AKA "the green eyed monster". Deep down it is humanities greatest fault. It tug's at our selfesteem, and rules our views on people and event's.

The basic emotional throb you feel on any subject is in your chest. It lead's you, and we all ,due to deep seated selfesteem issues are slave's and follow.

Why are people so absorbed in celebrities life's? Because we covet their positions.All war's have been started by greed, the need to possess materials, or another peoples belief system to remove it from exsistence.

People are envious of money, power , race, love, standing, beauty, etc. This is the word that every form of hate starts with.

Here are some quotes that I feel fit the mark.

"Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die"

Greed, envy, sloth, pride and gluttony: these are not vices anymore. No, these are marketing tools. Lust is our way of life. Envy is just a nudge towards another sale. Even in our relationships we consume each other, each of us looking for what we can get out of the other. Our appetites are often satisfied at the expense of those around us. In a dog-eat-dog world we lose part of our humanity

If you swim effortlessly in the deep oceans, ride the waves to and from the shore, if you can breathe under water and dine on the deep treasures of the seas; mark my words, those who dwell on the rocks carrying nets will try to reel you into their catch. The last thing they want is for you to thrive in your habitat because they stand in their atmosphere where they beg and gasp for some air

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil

" With that malignant envy which turns pale, and sickens even if a friend prevail"
Winston Churchill

In psychoanalysis, Sigmund Freud defined hate as an ego state that wishes to destroy the source of its unhappiness.

Am I right? Am I wrong? Is this truly why people hate? Is it not ideological, and mostly ego driven?
edit on 22-2-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

Envy isn't the only prerequisite needed to fulfil hate. If someone killed another I deemed innocent, I'd hate them too.

So envy isn't always the cause of hate, sometimes another's unwanted actions can lead to hate, and that isn't ego driven, that's morality providing a reasonable emotion.
edit on 22-2-2013 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Envy is a catalyst to hate in some, yes.

But envy is also a catalyst to success.

It pushes some to strive for a better life.

Without it where would drive come from.

There is good and bad to every human emotion, even love can propel one to hate.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
While your examples are accurate for many instances, hate is a very broad idea and can be used in many contexts.

For example; Hating the willfully ignorant, those who refuse to face facts so they don't have to disrupt the fantasy world they live in. Has nothing to do with envy.

I also don't think evil and hate have anything to do with each other. Evil is subjective. Many people have many different definitions of evil.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21

Envy isn't the only prerequisite needed to fulfil hate. If someone killed another I deemed innocent, I'd hate them too.

So envy isn't always the cause of hate, sometimes another's unwanted actions can lead to hate.

I can see your reasoning. I guess what I was trying to get at in my O/P is that envy is where the killing would have started.

Envious of what somebody has in their pocket? Take it. (bang)
Envious of someones love? Deny them of it. (bang)
Depressed about your life and envious of others?( Get drunk and drive.)

Do you see where I am going?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Question is envy ego driven.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Killing could have started with self defense or protection of the family group, in order to continue the lineage etc.

Don't forget we are just animals, fighting for food and shelter etc started with protection of the species more than envy. Basic instincts.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I believe so.

Some egos cannot survive by being less than another.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Oh that's good thinking, yes I see where you're going but....

Is that why all killers kill? I'm not so sure, let's take Myra Hindley, and Ian Brady, the child killers just as an example. I don't think they envied the children, it was purely driven by psychosis and maybe sexual desires and their perverse love for one another.

I don't mean to argue, I'm just trying to understand your theory and see if there's any truth to it.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Killing could have started with self defense or protection of the family group, in order to continue the lineage etc.

So the need to defend one's self would have started by someone else's envy. If you apply my O/P to just one side you don't see the whole statement.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Yes envy can lead to hate but I would say envy is not the center core of what hate is .

I hate the government

I hate people who constantly take advantage of people

I hate people who choose not to be ethical

I really hate people who abuse children in anyway shape or form .

I am hardly envious of any of these examples or they lives they lead .

If some one is envious of some one because they possess something that they do not have to the point of hate . I would say they are suffering inferiority complex or extreme obsession .. Doesn't sound like a healthy way to go threw life .

link   
reply to post by DAZ21

Yes I agree it is not a blanket statement.There are always exceptions, as for Myra one could argue ( I don't want to) the need for power as a motivator, That could be a form of envy.

link   
There's basically two kinds of envy:

1: Envy that someone got something that you want.

2: Envy that someone got something that you can never have.

The second one leads to hate and violence, the first one leads to a need to somehow balancing your own ego, either by mocking the source of envy or obtaining the resource yourself.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

There is a form of envy in your replies.Sometime it is not directly related to you, but it is where the incident started.

I hate the government

Then you envy their power, If you had the power you would change it.

I hate people who constantly take advantage of people

You hate that person.That person you hate was driven by envy to take from another.

I really hate people who abuse children in anyway shape or form

Me too I hate them. But their need to abuse is vested in a form of need for power. ( a type of envy)

I am not trying to win any arguement. I would just like people to look a little deeper into their hate, not just the surface.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

True.

Then I suppose as long as the individual in question is sane and accountable for their actions, that envy is fueled by the individuals ego. Thus hate expressed by the individual and expressed towards the individual would be a product of either parties envy.

So, maybe you're on to something after all.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

Thank you, for saying that much more eloquently that I could.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty
I can see your reasoning. I guess what I was trying to get at in my O/P is that envy is where the killing would have started.

Killing would of started with savage angry early man running on instinct

If anyone is going to kill some one for any reason you listed I would say they are not right in the head .

Or are you saying people with mental and emotional problems are the first cause of killing?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave

If anyone is going to kill some one for any reason you listed I would say they are not right in the head .

Or are you saying people with mental and emotional problems are the first cause of killing?

You pretty much stated it in your reply. Instinct, why was early man killing? They wanted what someone else had.(envy)

Emotional or instinctual, yes it's envy no matter what mindset you are in.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Or just baser animal instinct, protect the offspring keep them fed and alive, not necessarily envy but need.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I am not trying to win any arguement. I would just like people to look a little deeper into their hate, not just the surface.

Oh Ok now I get your angle. ... ETA ... I think

Yes I do agree with there are many times envy be the root of hate I see it in alot of people , but true many lack the capacity to look within and identify it .

but it is hardly the end all reasoning to why we hate or why we kill . it goes alot deeper than what you are suggesting as to the meaning of hate .

edit on 22/2/13 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join