It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor Reports Increasing at Alarming Rate: +600% Since 2005. What Are TPTB Not Telling Us?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Originally posted by DJW001

No, YouTube is causing people to think that lens flares are "Planet X."

Nobody is talking about Planet X, we should stick to the topic, if you desire to talk about Planet X or Nibiru maybe you should start another thread.

Usually, they were reported as UFOs. I predict this year will have more threads devoted to meteors and fewer to UFOs.

Is that your opinion or do you have statistics to back that up?

No-one, absolutely no-one, has claimed that "fireballs" have increased because of YouTube or i-phones. This is entirely a distortion, a deliberate misrepresentation, a strawman, you have created in pursuit of your own agenda. All anyone has said is that an increase in the number of reports about something does not necessarily mean that the number of actual occurrences has increased.

Yes, I have seen many posters post that youtube or iphones are the "apparent" cause of increased meteor/fireball sightings, when in fact these sightings have always been reported and talked about on TV, written about in the newspapers, or talked about on the radio - because they used to be sensational events which the media thrives on through which they derive advertising revenue - even without youtube or iphones - however rare these events used to be.

If you are truly curious go through some meteor threads and see for yourself.

edit on 22-2-2013 by PlanetXisHERE because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

Nobody is talking about Planet X, we should stick to the topic, if you desire to talk about Planet X or Nibiru maybe you should start another thread.

No need to: after all, you asked the question:

Fireballs have increased, the question is why

www.abovetopsecret.com...

What's your theory? It couldn't possibly have anything to do with a mysterious rogue planet, could it? I certainly hope not, now that you have made it clear that this thread is not about Planet X.

Is that your opinion or do you have statistics to back that up?

My opinion, obviously, as we won't have the statistics until the year is up.

Yes, I have seen many posters post that youtube or iphones are the "apparent" cause of increased meteor/fireball sightings,

Link to one example. Just one.

when in fact these sightings have always been reported and talked about on TV, written about in the newspapers, or talked about on the radio - because they used to be sensational events which the media thrives on through which they derive advertising revenue - even without youtube or iphones - however rare these events used to be.

Nonsense. Hundreds of meteors flash across the sky every day. We know this because astronomers, both professional and amateur, have been keeping detailed records for two hundred years. Most people are unaware of these records. Since the advent of the internet, it has been easier for non-astronomers to report sightings, which has led to increasing numbers of reports over recent years. Reports of meteors are not the same thing as meteors, so an increase in reports does not mean an increase in meteors. As for media coverage, the overwhelming number of sightings are not very spectacular, and even the fairly spectacular ones are so brief that they are not recorded in an interesting way by a camera. No good pictures, no good news copy. I'll give you this, though: the increasing number of personal devices that can take photographs probably has increased the odds that a meteor will be photographed.

If you are truly curious go through some meteor threads and see for yourself.

You must be joking.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
First of all let me start by saying idk, but i think it was march 12th maybe [definitely not 9th] I happened to go outside for a smoke at midnight and bam I saw an asteroid. Though truthfully I am of the opinion that like all those 2012/13/we is strange videos, it is just due to the preponderance of cell phones with cameras doing their work here, then again I could be talking out my ass without a clue, and these could all be astronomer reported increases ! It would be interesting to note if any of these increases in sightings have a correlation with further space based satellites, and infrared/ etc imaging devices being launched[and are not exactly all about visible meteors?]?

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by R3nw0x1ng

The jury is still out on whether there is an actual increase in fireball frequency (although it might be the case that we have had a "small blip"), and as I reported here at least some of the reports of fireballs may have been caused by reentering space-junk.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

Better technology + more/cheaper options for anybody being interested to search for something in space.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join