It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help please. Need to make a Dr Seuss costume and I can't sew

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

You may remember my previous threads about my sewing misadventures. If not, here's a link to my pitiful attempts to make a magician's cape for my son.

Anyway, its Dr. Seuss week next week, and the kids can dress up as Seuss characters. I know I could make a Thing 1 outfit, but everyone does Thing 1 (or Thing 2, haha).

I was hoping the talented crafters of ATS could give me some suggestions. Any ideas? And remember the brouhaha with the cape....I really can't sew.

All help appreciated!

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I say go ahead and give it your best shot, but name it thing 3!!! That way if you mess up, you say it's supposed to be that way, they've never seen thing 3!

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Here's a great site for making costumes, great ideas for homemade and not too expensive.

[url=http://www.costume-works.com...]

If you still need to use fabric, you can have it cut at a crafts store and as far as hemming is concerned, there's fabric glue, no sewing needed! Cape= big circle, cut a hole in middle, hem the edges with fabric glue, make 2 little holes in the edges of the hole for the head, attach string by tying through holes so there's something to hold the cape in place. I know that was your Halloween project, but just in case....
Good luck!

EDIT: I meant of course to cut an opening in the circle so not to make it a poncho!

edit on 22-2-2013 by Sayitaintso because: Forgot something.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
pinterest.com...

maybe you could find something inspiring here....

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

My friend made her son a 'Cat in the Hat' costume for World Book Day one year...she can't sew either, though she is now learning...her son won first prize for best costume!

The simple answer is just use glue...here is a good link for how to make a top hat out of card

childrensart.info...

You can paint it red and white...or use strips of card, felt or other fabric.

Then you just need a pair of black leggings, black shirt with a white oval (white felt cut to size and stuck with glue would work well), s and a pair of white gloves...an alice band with the ears stuck on...again, felt, one large black triangle with a smaller white one stuck on top...and then paint the face with a black nose and whiskers...easy as

The best rule with making costumes though, is not to rush...take your time drawing out the shapes and figuring out how you are going to stick it together, and leaving plenty of time for the glue to set will give you the best results...

Oh...don't forget the tail....that you may want to sew on as it is likely to get caught on stuff and pulled about...but the stitching doesn't need to be elegant, just strong enough to keep it in place...a synthetic fur, or even a long black sock or stocking would work though.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

I once made a clown costume using hot glue, it turned out wonderful. Just make it a little larger than you need so it don't pull on the glue seams.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

My sister can't sew a lick and does some really great Dr. Seuss stuff. She uses felt, costume feather boas and lots of hot glue/fabric glue.

Do you have a character/s in mind? Post one or two, of what to would like to do.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
My son is thinking of being Horton the elephant. I thought grey pants and sweater, headband with floppy felt ears, and some sort of flexible tubing for a trunk.

Or maybe a yellow-bellied Sneetch? Just a yellow shirt with a green felt star?

I've looked on Pinterest, the problem is there's an assortment of awesome costumes, but no directions.

We may just do the Thing One and Two....I'm sure I can do that at least.

Here's a cute idea....suggestions? Can't post the pic on my mobile.
Cat IN the hat
edit on 22-2-2013 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

OK.... For Horton I found this great tutorial on using a baseball cap as the base, cardboard for ears, dryer vent hose for the trunk and all covered in grey fabric. Dr. Seuss Horton the Elephant Hat Tutorial - I'm thinking that you could replace some of the sewing with fabric or hot glue, but you might need to hand stich (tack really) other parts.

The yellow-bellied Sneetch might be the easiest. If you can find a yellow sweat suit, then just cut a green star out of felt and glue it to the belly and a white felt collar for the neck (you could even glue white fuzzy yarn to the collar). For an added touch you could attached some pipe cleaner to a head band for the 4 hairs they have sticking up.

I love the cat in a hat costume!!! I can't come up with any 'no-sew' ideas on it tho.

Hope that helps!!!
edit on 22-2-2013 by OneisOne because: typo!

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Thing 1 and Thing 2
i bet these guys can help,

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
You can get Thing 1 and Thing 2 shirts from Universal's store online....

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I am surprised that nobody else thought of Nixie Nox! A cute cowgirl hat would work, she is in the ABC's by Dr Seuss I believe. Sally from Cat in The Hat wears a huge floppy pink bow and a jumper, she would be easy too.
There are the Bloogs that look like little blue and green ghosts with a puff of pink hair on top, in Oh the Thinks You Can Think. One Fish Two Fish has some cute easy ones too, there is the Zans, the Gox, ISH, the Gack and Mike. I'm not sure which book has Mike at the moment though.

Have fun!! I am looking forward to it too, I have been digging books out so this was right up my alley.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneisOne

OK.... For Horton I found this great tutorial on using a baseball cap as the base, cardboard for ears, dryer vent hose for the trunk and all covered in grey fabric. Dr. Seuss Horton the Elephant Hat Tutorial - I'm thinking that you could replace some of the sewing with fabric or hot glue, but you might need to hand stich (tack really) other parts.

Oooh...I know what my boy will be wearing for next World Book Day! Love it!

Thanks for that link...funnily enough, I watched Horton Hears a Who on TV only yesterday afternoon...and my son wasn't even home

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Don't forget, aside from fabric glue, there is also a great iron in hem tacking. It looks like white thick fabric, and you put it under the hem, using a hot iron, you tack it down. Much faster, and no waiting for glues to dry, and is also a stronger more reliable hem.

It is sold in sheets, and can be cut to fit what you need.

edit on 22-2-2013 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Thanks, everyone!

My son saw the photo of the cat wearing the life sized hat, so that's what we're going to try and make.

I got enough red and white felt to make a dozen costumes. Extra for when I screw up. Which I will, of course.

To make the hats brim, I got a sturdy cardboard ring. We're going to super glue ffelt covered foam to it.

To attach the strips of felt, I got some bonding tape. So hopefully this will require no sewing!

I'll post pics when I'm done, even if its an abysmal failure.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Oops
my mistake, I thought you might be wearing the costume yourself. My attention has been split lately trying to get this homeschooling down. Have fun!

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Had help. Obviously, because it worked...hee hee

Anyway....presenting my son as the Cat IN the Hat

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Awesome job!! I bet he had a blast!

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Smylee he looks wonderful!!!

Good job!

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Thanks, guys. Yeah, he had a great time. I'm a proud mama.

Had help though. Luckily, the lady who helped me loves doing these types of projects....she also gave me some tips for future reference.

I'll be honest. I don't think I could've pulled it off, she was a lifesaver.

Thanks again for the great suggestions!

top topics

join