Fox News' Anti-Wiccan Diatribe Insulted Pretty Much Everyone.

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
My personal opinion on this is right in line with this article..

although I am not Wiccan I just have to agree..

please read on..then we can discuss..

"I am really only interested in new information, not freelance opinion. I don't really care what you think off the top of your head."
- Tucker Carlson
Actually, that goes both ways. It’s a no-brainer that Wiccans and Pagans would be offended by the diatribe/mockery of them that aired on Fox News this week. But they’re not the only groups likely to take offense at this three-minute pastiche of bigotry, inaccuracy and character assassination. In this short span of time, the three people on this panel managed to insult midwives, rural residents, middle-aged women, divorcees, people who burn incense, individuals who enjoy celebrating holidays - especially Halloween - and folks who play Dungeons & Dragons. (Considering it’s Fox News, I doubt they’d ever speak with such disdain about that venerable symbol of free-market capitalism, Monopoly …

unless, of course, it was to criticize that new “witchy” playing piece, the dreaded cat.) As if all that bias isn’t bad enough, the entire piece is a flagrant insult to another group of individuals: journalists. Let me be clear about a couple of things. First, though I have a number of friends who consider themselves Wiccan, I do not personally practice Wicca. Second, I’ve worked my entire career - more than 25 years now - as a professional journalist. In that time, many things have changed. There has been a gradual, yet steady blurring of the lines between reporting and opinion. Between news and entertainment.

These days, it’s sometimes difficult to tell where one ends and the other begins. As visual media sources have multiplied from the “Big Three” television networks to thousands of cable choices and a virtually limitless number of options online, news providers have been forced to target niches rather than try to serve a broad spectrum of consumers. This has meant that media outlets are increasingly targeting either liberals or conservatives (but not both). More specifically, they’re often aiming for narrowly focused and even single-issue audiences. This trend both reflects and contributes to the increased political polarization we see in the United States. Few liberals even watch Fox News anymore, so it feels it can operate in a cocoon and say pretty much whatever it wants. To be fair, few conservatives probably pay any attention to Bill Maher, for instance, and he says pretty much what he wants, too. One could argue that Maher is a comedian, but he’s also a political commentator and one of the best examples of someone who has blurred the lines between news and entertainment. But the crucial point is this: The more we hang out exclusively with like-minded individuals, the more our own opinions are reinforced and the less opportunity we have to be challenged by opinions we may not agree with. We become so isolated from one another that we adopt rigid ideologies that sometimes include laundry lists of dos and don’ts. Liberals are “encouraged” through peer pressure to adhere to a checklist of political positions, and all conservatives are similarly “encouraged” to do the same. Deviation from the norm opens the individual up to ridicule, derision or shocked holier-than-thou reactions.

You can read the rest here
semrys.blogspot.com...
edit on 21-2-2013 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
it was tongue in cheek

they were listing perceptions....not making a definitive remark

though i do think the number of wiccans and pagans is greatly exaggerated

peace

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
You are kidding, right?

The reporters, particularly the guy on the left do come across a bit condescendingly, but you have to give the guy on the right a little bit of prop for blowing the other guy's comments off.

The essence of the report is that they think the establishment is taking advantage of Wiccan / Pagan beliefs to push an agenda and the Wiccan / Pagan people should be insulted by this. And I, being agnostic pagan agree with that viewpoint- at least based on what was reported.

And my personal disclosure- if you follow any flavor of Wicca that adheres to Gerald Gardner and his cult's beliefs, including bubble-gum Raymond Buckland and others who are the lime-light, you need to wake up. It's not a belief you are taught but more like one you experience and absorb.

-edit: it is natural and comes to you naturally. If you have to read it and practice it from a book you are either not ready or just simply "not".

edit on 2/22/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Interesting comment..

I thank you for that..

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
The only thing negative said by the Fox hosts was when Tucker said Wiccan was witchcraft.

I've watched it 3 times and really that all that I found that was a direct assault to their religion. In the end Tucker says that all the wiccans he knows are people who play dungeons and dragons but that's just his opinion.

link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

here watch this and then tell me they were tongue

-in-cheek.pfffft..

sounds to me like they were making fun of something they know NOTHING about....right?

link   

Originally posted by baddmove
reply to post by abecedarian

Interesting comment..

I thank you for that..
Not sure what that means but... okay.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

reply to post by thePharaoh

here watch this and then tell me they were tongue

-in-cheek.pfffft..

sounds to me like they were making fun of something they know NOTHING about....right?
watched it, listened to it....
...twice now.

I chose to hear the message in the report rather than interpret what the reporters said.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

watch it again..

in the beginning he says he doesn't "know" any wiccans...hmmm

and then he "knows " wiccans ...pay attention people....

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Yes they may have kind of been downgrading the Wiccan faith a little bit but nothing more than their opinions. Its not a direct assault against the faith other than the witchcraft comment at the beginning.

It is a commentary show by the way.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

watch it again..

in the beginning he says he doesn't "know" any wiccans...hmmm

and then he "knows " wiccans ...pay attention people....

Yea but do you really think that's something to get in a rage about as the article suggests? You'd think the hosts were burning Wiccans at the stake or something.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   

It's a show only ignorant people would watch...

let's look at it from a wiccan's point..

watch the whole video..don't turn it off because you can..watch and listen..

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
BTW..there are only 8 wiccan holidays...

not 20...

research my friends....

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   

I think this is again not about elevating anyone else. It's about Pagans and Wiccans being used for a political agenda to downgrade what's important to a majority of Americans. I think that this is, uh, an anti tradition, uh, action. I think Pagans and Wiccans should be very angry about being used by the establishment. And I think that, uh, uh, there should be a backlash that look, the tradition in this country is, is what allows people to be Pagans and Wiccans and to enjoy their lives freely. Good luck doing that in any other country.

And then the woman on the couch goes on to say that if you're a Christian you can't say Merry Christmas to anyone because you're trying to push your Christian beliefs on someone.

So we have evidence of the PC police pushing recognition of one religion and rejection of another.

I find that appalling since Wicca itself does not deny any religion its right to exist.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I am not Christian but I will go toe-to-toe against anyone I see trying to deny their right to believe what they believe in the USA.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   

BTW..there are only 8 wiccan holidays...

not 20...

research my friends....

Research, my friend.

The article is not solely about Wiccan holidays but what orthodoxy would consider pagan.
So here's the research you should have done before jumping to conclusions:
diversity.missouri.edu...

Please do note that there are Hindu, Catholic and a lot of other holy days on the list.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   

It's a show only ignorant people would watch...

let's look at it from a wiccan's point..

watch the whole video..don't turn it off because you can..watch and listen..

I don't think using a sixteen year old, who has watched too much 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer', to make your point is an effective way to go about it.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
it always amuses me to no end when faux news critisizes the "main stream media" or "the establishment" while fitting into both of those categories.

i got the vibe that they were poking fun at wiccans/neo-pagans with the "i'm not sure if they take up a big part of the population or not" *other guy* "i do, they don't" *all laugh*

seems patronizing to me.

exclusive video

new topics
top topics

join