It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five Insane Theories About Why We Haven't Discovered Alien Life.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TauCetixeta

I met a flying spaghetti monster would you like a video of me describing that day?

Sorry I need proof real tangible proof.

I do not trust stories.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi

I met a flying spaghetti monster would you like a video of me describing that day?

Sorry I need proof real tangible proof.

I do not trust stories.

Here is another story.
Matilda - Flight Nurse

Is everybody lying???

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moresby
We humans are much more intelligent than tigers. But we can't communicate in any nuanced way with them. When we engage in catch and release programs with tigers, we try to be respectful of them, not hurt them, and not interfere dramatically with their lives. But the tiger has no idea what we did, why we did it, and even that it was benign.

Couldn't aliens have the same problem dealing with humans? Maybe they'd like to clearly explain everything to us. They just cannot figure out how to do it. Or, perhaps due to their own hubris, they may even think they have.

There is even evidence of this in some abduction encounters. The aliens/visitors have been shown to have difficulty using our language, becoming puzzled by things like tense and object and predicate relationships. And there is also indication that some of them are better at communicating with us than others. But these might just be equivalent to "horse whisperers". They have a better understanding of how to communicate with us, but it's still rather crude.

So much in communication relates to frames of reference. And we may simply not share enough of those to make substantive communication possible.
edit on 23-2-2013 by Moresby because: typo

Aliens have difficulty using our language?
Airl learned English in just a few days. It must have something to do with that big brain of hers.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vrillion
We have discovered alien bacteria but I believe that the government/governments just do not want to admit that aliens exist because if they do it would cause mass hysteria and panic all over the world hence leading the world harder to control us.

The truth is alarming.
President Eisenhower signed a treaty with the Domain in February 21, 1954.
We wanted the advanced technology. Muroc AFB , California

Why admit that? Keep it quiet as long as possible.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Besides having seen both ghosts
reply to post by intrptr

No... you haven't...

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morg234

Besides having seen both ghosts
reply to post by intrptr

No... you haven't...

Maybe you can tell me what it was I saw then? Remember, these are "famous" ghosts and many others have seen them before me... for decades.

I just didn't know that, at_the_time.

You can also tell me where I saw them, since you seem to know so much about my experiences?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TauCetixeta

Originally posted by Moresby
We humans are much more intelligent than tigers. But we can't communicate in any nuanced way with them. When we engage in catch and release programs with tigers, we try to be respectful of them, not hurt them, and not interfere dramatically with their lives. But the tiger has no idea what we did, why we did it, and even that it was benign.

Couldn't aliens have the same problem dealing with humans? Maybe they'd like to clearly explain everything to us. They just cannot figure out how to do it. Or, perhaps due to their own hubris, they may even think they have.

There is even evidence of this in some abduction encounters. The aliens/visitors have been shown to have difficulty using our language, becoming puzzled by things like tense and object and predicate relationships. And there is also indication that some of them are better at communicating with us than others. But these might just be equivalent to "horse whisperers". They have a better understanding of how to communicate with us, but it's still rather crude.

So much in communication relates to frames of reference. And we may simply not share enough of those to make substantive communication possible.
edit on 23-2-2013 by Moresby because: typo

Aliens have difficulty using our language?
Airl learned English in just a few days. It must have something to do with that big brain of hers.

Our languages are tied to the linear time in which we exist. If they aren't limited in that way, they would might find our language very difficult.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Moresby

The advanced ETs have Universal Translators.

Think of an iPhone 5 on steroids.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vrillion
We have discovered alien bacteria but I believe that the government/governments just do not want to admit that aliens exist because if they do it would cause mass hysteria and panic all over the world hence leading the world harder to control us.

No, it wouldn't.

The only reason why that would happen, would be if ET, for some reason were attacking Humanity...but the reaction of panic among populations would be exactly the same if a powerful and very well armed Human nation decided to launch a sneak attack for no apparent reason.

Being slaugthered tends to upset and panic people. Benign ET's, doing nothing or perhaps even helping us, wouldn't generate panic...curiosity, wonder, amazement...maybe a little apprehention sure..but not panic.

If anything it would cause mass religion drives, record numbers of new and born again people, sitting on pews asking for direction...the various churches wouldn't be able to cram them all in.

Food for thought, for a new pope...
edit on 23-2-2013 by MysterX because: added comment

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Moresby

I appreciate what you're saying with your Tiger analogy, but in reality we'd have a lot more in common with a technological ET species than we would with your Tiger, despite the Tiger and Humanity being here together on Earth.

ET would have a written language, symbology and perhaps a spoken language too.

ET would have technological processes, build advanced transportation to get from A to B, wear clothing, use tools and have advanced understanding of physics and other sciences.

All things we would have in common with ET...but we don't with a Tiger..even though both our species developed on the same small world in a sea of Stars.

We would have much more in common with ET.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
#1 is entirely nonsensical.

Just based on the math. If there's anything I trust more than opinion, it's math

I can get the others for sure.

IMO it's a combination of the following:

1. We've done nothing but kill each other over the last 10k years. Who wants to meet that?
2. Non Interventionist Policy
3. No Interest.
4. Faster than light travel is actually impossible and therefore only local systems could be visited.

~Tenth

I lean towards 1 and 2 as my main hypothesis.

I think you are discounting math here even though you suggest you trust it the most. If we just stick to our own galaxy since I think we can both agree that if we cannot find space fairing life here than how can we suggest it is in other galaxies.

When we say life in general then I would say our galaxy is teaming with it, but as we add more and more discriminators to the equations the odds get less and less, so let's look at those...

Life
Complex life
Physically capable complex life
Physically capable complex intelligent life
Physically capable complex intelligent advance life
Physically capable complex intelligent advance space faring life

As we add more and more discriminators we are not talking about life in general anymore. Humans are not proof of anything yet, but we are the best so far the earth has put forth to meet all the discriminators to make this happen. This means after 4.5 billion years and trillions of life forms the earth has finally maybe made one. In a galaxy that is less than 9 billion years old and has an average of 300 billion stars there are hard limits here.

It seems once the conditions are right life is hard to kill, and there has been many attempts on earth in the past to do just that. When we look at snowball earth, life was basically reset back to almost the microbe stage but here we are today. The problem here is the more complex life becomes the more fragile it also becomes, and so just maybe advance life is not a very good evolutionary progression since normal natural events seems to continually reset it all the time. We also need to look at evolution and once again life in general is hard to kill but species are easy to extinct and come and go all the time. We will come and go too...

We talked about discriminators with life so let's talk about discriminators with planets that can sustain life.

Out of 300 billion stars 90% are main sequence stars (ones that most likely would support life). 23% of these are F,G and K stars with smaller ones having a habitable zone too close and larger stars would not last long enough for evolution to do its work, so we are down to 62 billion stars now. It has been measured that 30% +- 10% of these stars will have Neptune mass planets with 50% rock and 50% gas, so that is 15% of 62 billion stars will have rock planets...down to 10 billion stars.

Of the 330+ exoplanets found so far 30 are in the habitable zone, so with 10% we are down to 1 billion stars. With one final suggested point that there is most likely a Galactic habitable zone too and that would say only 10% of stars are capable, so our number would be 50 million habitable zone exoplanets in the Milky Way. Also using the Drake Equation it yields about 25 million habitable moons.

When we also add in some other seemly needed discriminators to suggest advance life these numbers get smaller and smaller.

1. Needs a Jupiter type planet to be the solar system's vacuum cleaner to allow evolution to do its work without many resets all the time.

2. Planet needs to have a long term liquid core for electromagnet protection for advance life to form. Mars is a good example of what happens when the core solidifies.

3. A moon is needed for stability, so even with earth if it did not have the moon advance life would not be here due to the extremes in temperatures it would have.

4. Having water is also a big factor......

Finally a lot of luck, or bad luck is needed. If the dinosaurs were not wiped out then mammals would still be rodents. With all this I think it is safe to say there is life throughout our universe, but it is also safe to say the chances of a space traveling advance race is almost zero too.

edit on 23-2-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TauCetixeta
reply to post by Moresby

The advanced ETs have Universal Translators.

Think of an iPhone 5 on steroids.

Of course, an iPhone cannot translate a language that hasn't already been translated. We needed the Rossetta Stone just to translate some other human languages. It's not an easy process even when you share the same brain and DNA. Imagine if you didn't. And also didn't share the some history, social structure or even relation to time.

And, again, we're much more advanced than other animals. But even after thousands of years of being around them, and hundreds of years of study, we only have the most rudimentary understanding of animal communication. And a very limited ability to utilize this knowledge.

Aliens may be just as baffled when it comes to us. More advanced does not mean omniscient.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Why haven't you encountered alien life? Its simple

You haven't taken enough '___'

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Considering that traveling faster than light is impossible, only so many ET's can visit neighboring star systems or possibly neighboring galaxies. In other words, ET's have not met other ET's that could live MILLIONS of light years away. That's just in this universe too, if the theory "the universe is expanding daily" is true, then there is alot of life out their that haven't met each other yet. It hurts to think about it, but if the universe is never ending, then there are countless number of life forms waiting to be discovered. Maybe even the most advanced civilizations won't even discover a small amount of bacteria growing on an earth like planet light years away because they won't even be able to make it there.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

There are millions of Scientologists that believe. It isn’t that they are lying it’s because they are gullible and were vulnerable to suggestion but just because they believe a spaghetti monster named Xenu once existed and dumper billions of souls into a volcano on earth then blew it up with nuclear bombs which accounts for life on our planet does not make it true.

Some people are defiantly lying some have created elaborate hoaxes. Some are delusional some strait up crazy. Some people have their own website that sell audio books for $19.95 and prey on those who really want to believe so much that they ignore logic and pay to hear lies. What camp are you in?

Eye witness accounts mean nothing without tangible proof. BTW the bible is full of eye witness accounts but I am not a believer. Faith isn’t a strong point for me I need proof and stories are not good enough.

Blind faith be it UFOs or religion doesn’t work for me it is just different sides of the same crazy coin.

I do believe people have seen UFOs in the strictest sense as it was unidentified Flying Object but I draw the line when people claim extra-terrestrial in nature.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX
reply to post by Moresby

I appreciate what you're saying with your Tiger analogy, but in reality we'd have a lot more in common with a technological ET species than we would with your Tiger, despite the Tiger and Humanity being here together on Earth.

ET would have a written language, symbology and perhaps a spoken language too.

All things we would have in common with ET...but we don't with a Tiger..even though both our species developed on the same small world in a sea of Stars.

We would have much more in common with ET.

Not necessarily true. You are thinking in limitations that humanity has. Consider this if an alien species possessed telepathy or could transfer knowledge through chemistry or biologically they would not need language or a way to write it down. They could spit on a piece of paper and gain the knowledge by licking it.

Just saying you are thinking in terms of human limitations.

You are assuming that alien life would have to be similar to human life but if you really think about it we are poorly designed creatures.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
What do aliens look like? We cannot know. But! If we had to guess, a sophisticated answer would be: similar to earthlings. Like on earth, but adapted to other conditions (gravity, temperature).
Just imagine roullette with an unknown amount of numbers. You only know one result. Lets say its the number 3! Anyone with a sane mind would guess that the next number which will come up, is a 3. saying "not 3" isnt allowed in the question setting, but if it was than "not 7" would still be more likely.

Math

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

"Not necessarily true. You are thinking in limitations that humanity has. Consider this if an alien species possessed telepathy or could transfer knowledge through chemistry or biologically they would not need language or a way to write it down. They could spit on a piece of paper and gain the knowledge by licking it. "

Just imagine a protest march! The politician stuck there for hours licking, licking and then more licking!

Or an argument! Spitting at each other!

The mind boggles! A flu epidemic silences the masses.

P

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MadhatterTheGreat

ill give you one good reason they dont bother with us

we dont think twive about killing each other

so why come here with open arms

if i were an alien id stay under the radar so to speak

edit on 26/2/2013 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join