It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five Insane Theories About Why We Haven't Discovered Alien Life.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
This is a great article from Cracked. Yes I know they're a comedy publication, but if you've never read their articles, they're actually very informative and very intelligently written with a bit of humor thrown in. Definitely one of my favorite sites and this is another exceptional article by them. They bring up some very interesting points that we can all agree on, and a lot of things they said are things I myself have thought about, specifically the part about some alien life, even if intelligent, could look and interact nothing like us and we'd never know they were an intelligent life if they were right in front of us.

www.cracked.com...

Human beings are obsessed with the possibility of life on other planets. Countless movies, books, and television shows are centered around alien civilizations, and there is an entire subculture of people devoted to the idea that aliens not only exist, but have already visited our planet for the inexplicable purpose of livestock mutilation and the molestation of the barely-literate. However, we can say with a candor close to absolute certainty that nobody on Earth will ever see warp drive starships or quad-breasted space women from the Crab Nebula, because for a number of reasons, the chances of us ever meeting any aliens are slim to none. Why? Well ...

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I wont ruin it for anyone, but #1 is just plain flat out depressing to think about....

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Any woman that has had a baby knows that in early pregnancy when it first begins to stir and kick, its like having a little alien life form inside. The womb works here just like it would have to anywhere else there is liquid water, air and sunlight.

Besides having seen both ghosts and an out of this world craft first hand, I know life elsewhere exists. How do you think it got here?

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
[SNIP]

No what you will get will be brainwashed people spouting mankind is not worthy, but the alien Gods will save us all when they pull up in "the sport model" and reveal to us they're love.

Aliens have been here for a long long time. They are NOT what they seem, they are what we want to see. This has always been part of the great deception. They used to be mythical, then when we went to the industrial age suddenly they were flying airships look up "The airship flap" of the 1800's.

Look at the state of everything right now. We are going through a major shift and ET is not the cause. These times are about a spiritual shift. The physical will die get reborn and cycle. The only thing that is real and lasting is spirit. Look inside and listen to the small voice of truth. Hollywood does not tell the truth. The alien thing is all Hollywood.
edit on 22-2-2013 by Gemwolf because: Removed quoted post

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Yeah Druscilla, that was kind of an unwarranted attack for no good reason, especially considering the nature of the article. I forgot to mention this in the OP, but part of the reason for me posting this was for a light-hearted look/discussion on the topic from everyone, no matter their leanings, and quite frankly one that this forum needs considering the usual nastiness that goes on back and forth.

Anyway back on topic, I thought the article also pointed out things that both sides hardly mention as to why contact could never happen, because there are so many variables that would keep two cosmic civilizations from ever meeting. I definitely believe in life outside of our own planet, but whether they've been here or not I'm on the fence about, although I do believe there is enough evidence to sway me if I were on a jury.

I will admit however, that the probability of us ever meeting any other intelligent civilization is very low considering the vastness of just our own galaxy, and the variables for that to happen are almost just as high as the variables for life to even exist.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MadhatterTheGreat

Interesting article. The 3 most likely reason imo are these:

1) Universe is simply too large for them to find us.
2) They don't want to interfere with us.
3) They want to remain hidden to conduct some sort of experiment perhaps related to abductions.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
In regards to the theory that they have been here already and/or continue to come here, I also agree that they just don't want to interfere and considering they would have to be so far beyond our current level of intelligence and technology we would probably almost be like cavemen to them. If we had the ability for interstellar travel and discovered a civilization that was intelligent, but millenia behind us, I've always asked myself if we would interfere, or help them along the way?

The best evidence I've seen for them already making contact or at least visiting in the past is the AA theory. No, I'm not referring to them designing and building every structure on the planet, and being involved in every aspect of our growth as the show/theory suggests, I'm specifically referring to the tales of ancient civilizations who all share similar or identical stories of "gods" coming down and helping them progress and giving them knowledge, and the most important aspect, is that civilizations who never knew about each other or met one another (as far as we know) also saying they originated from the same place (Orion and Sirius).

I believe those civilizations did experience something, but I'm also a believer in God, which is why I don't immediately jump on the alien bandwagon with those accounts, and believe it could have been God and/or angels coming down to help humankind along the way.
edit on 21-2-2013 by MadhatterTheGreat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
#1 is entirely nonsensical.

Just based on the math. If there's anything I trust more than opinion, it's math

I can get the others for sure.

IMO it's a combination of the following:

1. We've done nothing but kill each other over the last 10k years. Who wants to meet that?
2. Non Interventionist Policy
3. No Interest.
4. Faster than light travel is actually impossible and therefore only local systems could be visited.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
The scenario that is most likely, based on our current understanding of the fundamental laws of nature (there's no reason to think it is incorrect), is that they exist but they simply can't get there from here. Funny how that site didn't mention this reason. Interstellar travel is just too energy intensive for any sufficiently advanced civilization that can accomplish it.

As for not detecting them via electromagnetic waves, this could be due to a combination of a number of factors. Perhaps technological civilizations are too short-lived, or they are so far that the intensity of the EM waves is practically nonexistent and thus the signal is indistinguishable from background noise, or tangentially related is that they stopped unintentionally broadcasting into space because of new and improved technologies (think fiber optics), or intelligent life is not as common as the Drake Equation would have us believe. Personally, I think it is a combination of all of these.
edit on 22-2-2013 by Diablos because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I don't feel like reading that entire article again, but I believe they did cover that aspect, and to me that seems like it would be the most logical, unless they figured out bending space and time and traveling through wormholes and all that jazz.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Awesome.

There's Jazz in space.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Hey that's another reason they could have for not making contact. They've received too much grocery store/elevator jazz music being sent out into space and don't consider us to be hip enough.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
They could have renamed it to 5 excuses Alien believers produce when asked why the aliens have not made contact.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I hope you all understand that the Aliens have hundreds of 3D cameras here on Earth. They have ten entertainment channels based solely on Earth. One is in the documentary section and is as boring as hell, the other nine are in the comedy section.

At the end of series 8 they will visit us just to generate new hysterically funny material.

P

ETA as for #1, the opinion is based on the flawed understanding that time is linear. It is not.

edit on 22/2/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
My own take on this is that in order to become "intelligent" you have to be crap at evolving within the environment you exist in, but not that rubbish that you don't die out as a species. For example, lions don't have to become any more intelligent than they are because they are sucessful, so lions therefore don't need a get out and therefore a bigger brain to sort out their life skill problems. We on the other hand didn't really measure up, so we had to get smart in order to cope. This is probably the reason intellient life is rare, because most species aren't crap at their jobs or if they were then they're dead.

Oh, once you get intelligent then there is also the small matter of the vast distances between planets which is a bit of a bummer on the contact your neighbours front.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
i say # 3 is close . i think earth is like that rebound job in between decent jobs . you think its great at first , but then totally sucks so you just walk away ,and find a better one . its possible that the first aliens that arrived said screw it , and the replacement workers have not arrived yet.or have already walked off the job.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
1. We've done nothing but kill each other over the last 10k years. Who wants to meet that?

... If you wont tell them I wont either.

We could just laugh and say "WW2? Nah, that was fiction my alien friend, we're lovable and peacefull! Our nukes are purely for... decorative... purposes. And warming tons and tons of delicious hotdogs at parties."

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Interesting article. The 3 most likely reason imo are these:

1) Universe is simply too large for them to find us.

No,you do not know how advanced they might be, you do not know how they may travel, thus I am tired of seeing this 'they are too far to be able to reach us' - Yes just like there may be beings like humans and that do not have the technology to travel, there might be some who travel with the snap of a finger, youknow, teleport?

Why won;t you all accept more than 1 thing possible, can't you ever think everything's possible? Nooo! You have to take 1 option and this be the only possibility!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join