It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, you think an Island 2000km away from any continent is "paradise"? MUST SEE VIDEO

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by requires1231
hmmmm....

"This video is about an island in the ocean at 2000 km from any other coast line. "

That's just too vague for me to feel 100% confident that this is legit. I'm in no way trying to evade accountability for what happens to this planet, but this gives off a faint stench of hoax.

No mate this is no hoax! Have a google.

These beautiful fascinating birds are albatross NOT SEAGULLS but on the subject of seagulls, the reason they have become to be considered a pest is because they have had to adapt to survive by moving to more urban areas. Why? Because we have destroyed a lot of their natural coastal habitat and have become quite a rarity there now.

I wonder how long it will take before sunlight gets blocked out because of all the trash we are leaving up there in space now. There is a limit to how much we can dump before it starts interfering with everything and in ways we might fail to appreciate as yet.
edit on 23/2/2013 by Psychoparrot because: To add something

edit on 23/2/2013 by Psychoparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
survival of the fittest.

these birds are idiots, most smarter birds avoid eating inedible food, heck my pet parakeet is very picky on what she eats.

these are gonna turn into the dodo bird who went extict of it's own stupidity as well

this is just Darwn in motion

the birds that don't eat crap won't die...

where's the outrage at birds that eat shiny pebbles and rocks and die same as these?

no outrage there, well same goes for these.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Cito

My parrots are also 'picky' but parrots feed in a different way to other birds. They stand on one leg to ear, holding the food in the other foot, like a hand, and just drop most of what they don't want, making it easy to be 'picky'.

Albatross are permanently on the wing when catching fish, scooping them up with their bills/beaks, and the contents just swallowed, plastic and all. They then regurgitate directly into the beaks of their baby, slowly but surely increasing the amount of plastic into them, until the babies are unable to accept any more food due to the amount of plastic in their crops and gizzards (bird digestive system). The parent birds don't have any opportunity to pick over what they eat.

And the reason they are in this situation is........you guessed it........us, and the mess that comes with us.

They are far from stupid and who knows what vital part they play in the food chain that could effect us at some point. Can we really afford to be so stupid and destroy a system that has been millions of years in the making? A system we far from understand. I don't believe what humans do is 'natural' in an evolutionary sense, as we have the power to alter the natural order of things by creating things that would never occur in nature, like plastic.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
This is why world must ban that every company produces own type things, for example 1: Bottles should be reusable with cap locked to bottle and made from stainless steel, unbreakable glass, carbon fiber or biodegradable(one time use) 2: Ban almost all plastic bags, keep only long lasting reusable ones. 3: Only biodegradable temporary food dishes should be allowed. 4: Lighters should be lifelong lasting. 5: All computer parts (especially laptops) should be able to use other companies parts including motherboards. 5: THINK YOURSELF... This type of capitalism must be killed ASAP.

Other civilizations with high technology are much more evolved and they know how to handle everything.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkphoenix77
Isn't it something like enough water bottles to stretch around the world end to end like 3 times or something silly like that?

Exactly, and the madness has no end. Every day they are pumping millions and millions more of them out. ~$heopleNation

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Good post, people should know about it. This is disturbing, but check out the, "Pacific Gyre", There is an area approx. the size of North America, in the middle of the pacific that is basically a continuous dump of plastic trash. you can almost walk on it! Fish eat it, birds eat it, it is wiping out millions of lifeforms daily and you never hear of it. It's another problem we cant fix that is unsustainable in the long term. Tragic result of short term thinking and carelessness.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Watched the video, yes it is bad.

But lest we forget about the Japanese tsunami awhile back flushed more crap into the oceans at once than exists in the great pacific garbage patch contains. Even shipping containers and piers from Japan float up on the west coast usa to this day.

Yes we are a filthy species, but no, not all of it was incidental refuse.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Incredibly disgusting.
AND incredibly sad.
Lol I forgot to read the disclaimer.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SassyGranny

I hate you all too.... oh and i'm ashamed of all of you as well,

Instead of living in a society that builds up this much filth or at least removing yourself from the problem,
you'll all just complain and say you're ashamed, mention your hatred for humanity and their destructive nature but continue using technology which you'll all end up tossing or buying items which will end up causing more pollution.

you inherited this life and are too comfortable to leave it behind, and will end up leaving it to your children as an inheritance till the catalyst is reached at which point there'll be more than just discomfort, but due to the destruction done to the various ecosystems, there'll be an abundance of death, human and otherwise. luckily i've started with my migration to a homestead lifestyle, just to beat the curve.

blaming others for their mistakes, claming to be ashamed, and continuing to live in the same "throw away" mentality which we/you/ all of you live in, is not going to help.

the only thing which you can do is postpone the coming collapse, but who knows for how long. eventually things will get out of hand, but those who are self sufficient will be able to evade most of the secondary effects of this "DAMAGE"

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ss830

Well personally I never thought to myself 'hey ho let's go *€%# up the oceans' ' But I will admit to stupidly assuming that things got disposed off properly, not dumped in the sea. Hell there was a time I thought that politicians and psychiatrists knew what they were doing - how sad is that?

What I am guilty of is never actually thinking much about it at all, never stopping to think what happened to all the plastic that comes with everything, all the food containers, plastic bags, make up bottles, hangers and multiplying my trash by that of everyone else.

How could I ever know that it would result in such suffering for these beautiful birds?

But I know now! And I want to do what I can about it. I have been recycling plastic at home for a while. I've started getting people to recycle at work and I take it to the recycling centre. I'm raising awareness in others, while trying not to nag! And avoid buying things with lots of plastic or disposable. But it's just a nurdle in the ocean and not enough people seem to really care.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donahue
if you cant even watch a video that's not even 4 minutes long you have A.D.D.

On a second note. Seagulls are probably the most annoying, waste of space, animal on the planet.

No offense to you personally but you are an ignorant piece of #...

If anyone is an annoying waste of space it's you.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cito
survival of the fittest.

these birds are idiots, most smarter birds avoid eating inedible food, heck my pet parakeet is very picky on what she eats.

these are gonna turn into the dodo bird who went extict of it's own stupidity as well

this is just Darwn in motion

the birds that don't eat crap won't die...

where's the outrage at birds that eat shiny pebbles and rocks and die same as these?

no outrage there, well same goes for these.

The oceans are filled with man made crap, the fish accidentally eat the crap, then the birds eat the fish..

Hopefully Darwin deals with people like you...
edit on 26-2-2013 by HiddenAgenda because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-2-2013 by HiddenAgenda because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I thought this would be more like Far Cry 3 lol but yea.. sad video..

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Thing is, the plastic in this video is still in identifiable chunks, so it ain't done yet by far.....It will keep on breaking down into smaller & smaller pieces, becoming inceasingly lethal as it does so and it NEVER EVER goes away naturally.....If we don't clean this up ourselves, we will be going the way of the dodo too.

PS - If I'm not mistaken, that's Midway Island in the video.....An awful lot of Americans (& Japanese) gave their lives for that piece of real estate.....Nice to see how their sacrifice is valued today, eh?

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 28-2-2013 by squarehead666 because: content

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus

Originally posted by boncho
Some people can't watch videos, some people don't have the patience, we'd rather read and see pictures if they are necessary to get a message across.

I say birds being cut open with plastic inside. Not sure what the story is about...

Complaining that the length of a 4 minute video is to long to watch... wtf?

For some reason I cant help but perceive that attitude as somehow integral to the enabling of the atrocity shown in the 4 minute video that "some people dont have the patience" for.

Hmmm... wonder why that is.

edit on 2/21/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)
Do you need a video to show you the shape of our planet? If so, you need to go out more. Maybe, we should all go to that island and CLEAN UP OUR MESS!
Let's stop TALKING about the problems and actually start solving some of them. It's up to US!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by profundus

I've got some bin-bags if you'll sort out the plane ticket.

Bit remote for me.....But I fully support the sentiment.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by squarehead666
reply to post by profundus

I've got some bin-bags if you'll sort out the plane ticket.

Bit remote for me.....But I fully support the sentiment.
If we could get $1 dollar, from everyone that's ever dropped their litter on the ground, we'd raise enough money for everyone on ATS to go.
Those birds didn't make that mess! WE DID!!!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
On this basis I'm gonna take a bin-bag out with me when I walk the Lurchers tomorrow and I will pick up what I pass.....Just because I can!

I may even post pics.....Anyone wanna join in?

Ultimately it's pointless of course, because the arseholes we pay our taxes to will just send it to landfill.

But it might make you feel better and your local area will look nicer for your efforts.

edit on 28-2-2013 by squarehead666 because: s&p/content

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by grayeagle
What people don't realize or don't care about is that if you toss just about any plastic throw away from disposable lighters to water bottles hundreds of miles from the ocean they can still end up there. Any watershed in the world can carry them down to the sea. We pollute and destroy the earth because we demand convenience. We are too damn lazy to utilize reusable or refillable items. Our litter laws are puny and there is very little enforcement. If someone buys a disposable lighter make the manufacturer provide an incentive for the customer to return them for a discount toward a new one. This could be done for many items. Use water filters and reusable water bottles. Stop using plastic grocery bags.

edit on 06/02/2011 by grayeagle because: spelling

Just imagine if someone could build a disposable lighter vending machine that could do refills or recycle lighters.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing this OP. Much needed reminder.

I saw this thread and couldn't bring myself to watch it for several days. I got the gist of it based on other comments and before even watching it decided it had to be truly awful...... so I started making some changes in my recycling habits.

Finally watched it today and yes, it was everything I thought it would be. Breaks my heart. I'm going to continue learning how to reduce my "throw away" impact and be a hell of a lot more eco-friendly.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join