It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disarming American Vets

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Disarming American Vets

redflagnews.com

How would you feel if you received a letter from the U.S. Government informing you that because of a physical or mental condition that the government says you have it is proposing to rule that you are incompetent to handle your own financial affairs? Suppose that letter also stated that the government is going to appoint a stranger to handle your affairs for you at your expense? That would certainly be scary enough but it gets worse.

What if that letter also stated: “A determination of incompetency will prohibit you from purchasing, possessing, receiving, or transporting a firearm or ammu
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
static.squarespace.com
static.squarespace.com
static.squarespace.com

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The information is detailed in the letters linked on the page and linked below. The bottom of page 1 and the top of page 2 are what you are looking for. I know the article says Obama is attacking vets but its letters from the VA dept. This is the first I've heard of this.

I linked the 3 pages of letters from the VA in the related section. I have no doubts this will not go well if it gets to widespread to fast.

redflagnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 21-2-2013 by Virole because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
They made these human killing machines, now they are terrified of them.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ausername

No, it's more like they made them now they want to break them.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
And so the gun grabbing begins, this is unconstitutional! It should scare the crap out of everyone.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I wonder just how many vets there are in this country who wopuld stand by their brothers in arms?
I could see a huge number of men and women,all veterans influencing the goverment if they could stick together.....
What of the promis keepers now? what do they say?
And the county sherriffs who will have to serve the seizure notices and collect the weapons...would they be willing to even do so?
The states themselves could pass counter legislation as well......nullifying this unjust treatment.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
First they want to cut back on benefits for Veterans.......
And now this BS......
Who are they to say who is incompetent to handle their own financial affairs or prohibit them from possessing a gun?

How much more disrespectful to Veterans can they get???

edit on 21-2-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Yes they are.

The Washington Times
Thursday, April 16, 2009

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said Wednesday that she was briefed before the release of a controversial intelligence assessment and that she stands by the report, which lists returning veterans among terrorist risks to the U.S.

www.washingtontimes.com...

With good reason I might add, we have the training to be a real problem for them.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedmoonMWC

With good reason I might add, we have the training to be a real problem for them.

When asked if I would turn in my guns, I usually reply with "There is no people on Earth more willing to kill and die for their freedom than those who have already done so." They usually understand what I mean, most the people I talk to know I'm a combat vet Marine.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by byGRACE
And so the gun grabbing begins, this is unconstitutional! It should scare the crap out of everyone.
]

What is wrong with taking guns off the mentally ill. I would not want psycho rambo living next door to me and using my pet kitten as target practise..
edit on 21-2-2013 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Virole

When asked if I would turn in my guns, I usually reply with "There is no people on Earth more willing to kill and die for their freedom than those who have already done so." They usually understand what I mean, most the people I talk to know I'm a combat vet Marine.

Semper Fi, Devil Dog

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Virole

The way I read this letter is that the VA is requesting to take over your personal finances as you have demostrated that you cannot. This according to current law would preclude you from buying a firearm. (Not saying you can’t buy it on the street)

I still find it wrong though. If the VA gives out disabilities and Veteran X decides to end his/her own life by an overdose, then it is a win-win for the VA. They no longer have to pay out a monthly stipend.

But I think it is deeper than that. The VA is Gov’t after all, and they can pretty much come up with whatever criteria they want, can’t they?

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Virole

I like that response!

Add a one hundred mile off into the distance stare coupled with an awkward silence and people will generally cease the jaw jacking.

I really hope this is just smoke up our arse! I really pray it is.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

It's not my letter but they article says "The letter provides no specifics on the reasons for the proposed finding of incompetency; just that is based on a determination by someone in the VA. In every state in the United States no one can be declared incompetent to administer their own affairs without due process of law and that usually requires a judicial hearing with evidence being offered to prove to a judge that the person is indeed incompetent. This is a requirement of the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution that states that no person shall “… be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law…”

I have 50% ptsd and spinal fusion from back injuries from ieds. I am more than capable of handling money, its people I don't trust. In 5 years have paid off 3 cars, my house will be paid off this year and have money set aside to buy land before year end. I want the land to to build a house and get away from the city because I cant sleep with the sirens and planes, and I don't trust the people in my neighborhood, especially with the rise in crime this past year, over hundred break ins to houses in the past year.

Without investigating this person what ground do they have to declare him incompetent? Should they take my guns too? Also if you can't handle money, why should you lose your right to own a gun?

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I am re-posting a comment, I made on another discussion thread, for this exact issue.

It is very important, that people know about this tragic and major mistake being made by our government and their agencies.

Veterans from OIF/OEF are being screwed over.

Not all of them, just about half. Those of us who do not come home with physical wounds are treated like crap.
It seems that unless we have lost life or limb, we do not matter, as wounded Veterans. Others are being jipped out of their Honorable discharges, thus ensuring they do not get full VA benefits if any, they served and fought, why screw them over?

So many combat arms soldiers, troopers and corp man, have served on the front lines so to say, if there was such a thing in this war. We have seen our friends get shot, blown up and dismembered.

We suffer mentally just as much as any one, PTSD and TBI are not just words made up to describe a symptom, they are our injuries. It might not be as severe as a lost limb, but the scars are there, and real as any other pain.

The flashbacks day or night, anxiety, insomnia and other issues are constant, chronic, and not going away because of some pills.

What Veterans need is support, from our friends, families and communities.
The people who matter, are those who care. Show those who matter to you, by showing them you care.

Originally posted by ADVISOR
I am also a Veteran, and have not received any such letter from the VA.

In fact, the only mail I get from them, was bills for prescriptions I didn't want, nor should of been billed for.
Or the fact I applied for benefits last year, and they sent a letter twice, stating they are still determining my benefits, when a couple of other buddies I served with got out after I did, and have their benefits already.

The system is broken, the VA should be a part of "out processing" for soldiers. When they process to get out of the military, their VA forms should be included. But instead, we have to play a game of jumping through hoops.

It is really disturbing, and sickening, to think that veterans who deserve compensation, are being placed on the back burner, and their benefits are being discussed by our government to be cut, when they should be cutting their own.

Corrupt government, corrupt VA, corrupt every thing.

Screw the system, because all it does is screw us!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Here is a link to the VAs criteria for having someone declared incompetent. I have not had a chance to read it all yet. I remember this coming up a few months ago and the VA claimed it would most likely pertain to elderly veterans with conditions such as dementia or if their spouse or caretaker passed away leaving them helpless. Now, even if that is the main focus of this it still leaves the wiggle room for abuse in which is being implied here by this lawyer. I will continue to dig around and see if I can find some older news about it. I do believe this will be used as a factor to begin the disarmarment of this nations veterans. All they have to do is use ptsd as a criteria and that will affect a great many of us.

www.benefits.va.gov...
edit on 21/2/13 by usmc0311 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Very well said. When someone looks at me and says, 'you look ok' it makes me want to put their head through a wall. TBI sucks and is a very frustrating thing to deal with. Not being able to focus or concentrate when you want to is a pain in the rear. And the insomnia is enough to drive a 'normal' person insane. I only sleep about 3 hours in a 24 hour period. Either my brain just won;t work right or it won;t shut itslef off. Life as a veteran is an uproad battle these days.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
reply to post by ADVISOR

Very well said. When someone looks at me and says, 'you look ok' it makes me want to put their head through a wall. TBI sucks and is a very frustrating thing to deal with. Not being able to focus or concentrate when you want to is a pain in the rear. And the insomnia is enough to drive a 'normal' person insane. I only sleep about 3 hours in a 24 hour period. Either my brain just won;t work right or it won;t shut itslef off. Life as a veteran is an uproad battle these days.

Hey gunny, how do you deal with the sleep issue? I only get about 4 hours of sleep a night. fall down at 12 and wake up fully alert by 4'ish wide awake. My flight doc put me on Ambien, but it makes me sleep like I'm in a coma! I don't like not being able to hear little noises when I'm sleep you know. Also my mind get sluggish around lunch time. Hard as heck to focus. I really need some tips on this sleep thing.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

By what measure do you determine if someone is mentally ill? How about you go to another country live in a war zone for 6 months then be forced to take a psych test, will you pass after watching your friends be blown up? No you will fail, does that make you crazy...hell no.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
My sweetheart is a VietNam Veteran.

He was exposed to Agent Orange that had baddly effected his health.

He was also shot in the leg during a confronation with the Viet Cong and had the bullet removed without anything for pain, bandaged up and returned to battle.
He did not receive a purple heart for this or for one time that he saved several men from an ambush and never got any recognition for that. I read about that in the local news paper.

In fact, he served 3 seperate years in VietNam and was spat on when he got into the ports in the states.

There was no heros welcome for him anytime he came back home.

Now we have waited over two years for word about his status with Agent Orange.
The 'Board' is looking at his case.

He does not get 100% disability.
He received many medals but did not receive a purple heart even though he is a hero to me.

VA health care has dissapointed me greatly.

He also gets little sleep.

I can see what war did to him even though he does not talk about it except to answer the few questions I ask.
My father who served in a war zone in WW2 never talked about that war either.

It cuts too deep to talk about it I am sure.

No letter yet but I am sure someone will take our guns from our cold dead hands if they come for them.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join