It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smokers aren't the only ones that get cancer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The government wants to demonize smoking and it's health risks. Personally I would like to see some studies on non smokers and cancer rates. My grandfather never smoked and lived a healthy lifestyle. He exersised every day ate his vitamins watched what he ate and he ended up with colon cancer. Same with my grandmother she ended up with breast cancer at age 62. My grandfathers best friend had a stroke. The doctor told him to stop taking so many vitamins.

My other grandmother grew up on a tobacco farm and started smoking at age 10. She use to pluck leafs off of tobacco plants and smoke them raw. She out lived both of my other grandparents by 10 years. Same with my other grandfather he's still living at age 85 and smokes a pack a day.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because someone else I know recently ended up with cancer and they're a non smoker. We always hear how bad smoking is but we never hear what everyone else is dying from.

I smoke and I like it. The way I see it is no one gets out of this world alive. So what if I cut my life short by a few years and least I'm enjoying what I like to do.
edit on 21-2-2013 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Your fun habit is killing other people aside from yourself, faster even. I will never pitty disusting chemical spewing smokers.
edit on 21-2-2013 by Jefferton because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome - I smoke and I like it. -

me too.

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jefferton
Your fun habit is killing other people aside from yourself, faster even. I will never pitty disusting chemical spewing smokers.
edit on 21-2-2013 by Jefferton because: (no reason given)
So I'm killing people who happen to catch a whiff of my cigarette smoke faster then myself even though I'm inhailing smoke directely all day long? I don't get it the logic seems flawed to me?
edit on 21-2-2013 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Get over it, cancer effects many different people for different reasons.

Dont try and undermine the danger of smoking however, some are lucky and it hardly effects them others it catches out. Just because you approve of smoking no need to spread it.

Ultimately the world would be a lot less smellier without smoking, which cant be a bad thing. And Im sure many folk would benefit from having their lungs back.

Now go back to something useful, grow your own vegetables.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I quit smoking about 7 months ago after they found abnormal cell growth in my cervix. Apparently smoking can speed up cell growth, which is believable with all of the toxins but I still have an occasional smoke. I liked smoking. I would smoke tobacco leaves if I could, but that's not available here unless I find a plant and grow it in my sun room.

Point is, smoking is bad, sure, but it's your own personal choice to do so. Most smokers are respectful enough to move a few feet away to smoke, and if you happen to catch a wiff, then maybe you should move a couple feet away yourself!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

Only person I know of who died from lung cancer was an adamant non-smoker. No smokers at all in her household. I believe that chemicals are more responsible and cigarettes are just pointed out as a patsy. Most people don't come down with smoking related illnesses until they quit smoking. Makes you wonder. I think it actually produces a lining on your lungs which helps protect to a certain degree.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RooskiZombi

Smoking causes a depletion of some chemicals in the body used to fight diseases. Smoke is an adjuvent so it triggers the body to fight things that the body is allergic to. This fact tied to the fact that it suppresses appetite causes the depletion. What if you eat right though? What if the nutrients are being replenished as you use them up? The medical organizations seem to just keep shifting our focus.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

Strange how not a single person has ever hand "second hand smoke" on their death certificate as cause of death isn't it?

Name people that have or stop spreading lies. Death certificates are available to the public.
edit on 21-2-2013 by Carreau because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

So I'm killing people who happen to catch a whiff of my cigarette smoke faster then myself even though I'm inhailing smoke directely all day long? I don't get it the logic seems flawed to me?

I think main debate that 2nd hand person gets more sick is because there is 2 different smoke coming from a smoker.

1) the inhaled smoke(filtered) then exhausted.

2) the smoke from the burning cigarette, which ha potentially worse chemical than the inhaled.

The smoker is less susceptible to 2nd hand smoke because it moves away from the smoker(due to breathing and environment), while the 2nd hand smoker gets affected by both.

So pretty much someone near the smoker is getting double dose as well as other potentially worse chemicals.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Could you provide a link to anyone that has died of second hand smoke and is listed on their death certificate?

The anti-smoking crowd claim 55,000-63,000 die each year from this, just 3 names for any year would be great.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I smoke and I like it, too. But I also know the risks, especially as I have gotten older and can count the years I have been sucking these things now in decades. My brother was a smoker and quit... but he died of lung cancer ten years later. However, I'm still not sure that it wasn't the chemo that killed him quicker and made his last days a living hell.

The world around us is filled with potential death, from the air we breathe to the foods we eat. So, yes... to a point, tobacco has become the whipping boy and smokers, the new-age version of a leper colony. That's just how it is... if people want to judge you on whether or not you smoke, the choice is theirs to make. I don't let it bother me and no... I don't blow smoke in anyone's face. I respect their rights more than they respect mine.

I know that I am gonna die someday anyway and I'd rather go out with a smile than with pine cones and weeds as my last dinner, lol.

Yeah... that's cynical but that also, just who and what I am. So... shoot me... or not. (If you do, your gun will be confiscated and banned.)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I now use an Ego electronic nicotine vaporizor. It feels like a ciggarette but without the side-effects. I can get almost any flavor I want with different nicotine levels. Many of the flavors are also odourless and I can vape inside without my co-workers being offended. I recommend it to any smoker!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau

Could you provide a link to anyone that has died of second hand smoke and is listed on their death certificate?

The anti-smoking crowd claim 55,000-63,000 die each year from this, just 3 names for any year would be great.

I just found this link to WHO, that did a study back in 2004. These assume 1% of the world dies from passive smoking each year... which is about 600,000 worldwide.

National Post - World Health Organization.

What do you mean by "Anti-Smoking" crowd, is that suppose to be something bad?

Edit: Or are you part of the crowd that think smoking carcinogens is A-Okay, does not cause disease and some secret sort of cover up?

edit on 2/21/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

That article didn't name anyone either. With all these reported deaths from second hand smoke every single year, is there not one death certificate available to support this?

If you post on this thread claiming second hand smoke causes death, prove it. Thousands of deaths a year every year, give me just 3 names of people that have died from it.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

That article didn't name anyone either. With all these reported deaths from second hand smoke every single year, is there not one death certificate available to support this?

If you post on this thread claiming second hand smoke causes death, prove it. Thousands of deaths a year every year, give me just 3 names of people that have died from it.

My mom's friend died a couple years ago, never smoked a day in her life, husband was a 2 packs a day guy

and no, nobody is gonna post the death certs of people they know just to placate some guy on ATS

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by xNightwing

My mom's friend died a couple years ago, never smoked a day in her life, husband was a 2 packs a day guy

Well that's proof enough for me.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by xNightwing

and no, nobody is gonna post the death certs of people they know just to placate some guy on ATS

What did she die from and at what age?

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Doesn't matter what WHO or anyone else says

What the thinker thinks the prover proves, studies conducted by biased people by belief and opinion are all bogus

and frankly some studies are just a waste of money because common sense over rides

IS SECOND HAND SMOKE BAD? Yes.... if your hot boxed in a car with 3 smokers several times a day sure you will suffer effects, if you work in a restaurant and 30 people are smoking and there's little ventilation...sure

dude standing outside on a breezy day doesn't need to be 30 feet from you lol...

I know one girl who uses 900 household cleaners and wont let me in the house after I had a cig outside... because of "particulates" lol

So here's the thing... I smoke occasionally, exercise, oxygenate, meditate and stay really holistic in my purchases and foods and household items

who will die of Cancer me or the dummy girl running around with a can of glade all day and eating processed foods?

second hand smoke?

Rule of thumb if you can see it in the air...yeah better not deal with that

But some people are just ridiculously carried away with the idea

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join