It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft launches new email service to replace Hotmail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Wow, this is news to me!! Thought I would share as I have not found anything on the subject here.

All users with email domains, such as msn.com and hotmail.com, will be automatically converted to outlook.com by the summer

The new features being introduced in Outlook include:

- The ability to send massive files, including hundreds of photos at a time, in a single email.
-Address books that automatically update new contact information that connections post on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
About 60 per cent fewer ads than Hotmail.

SOURCE

I think that it will be a lot better than hotmail, I switched to Gmail years ago and have not regretted it for a second. But what will happen to all the people that used those email addresses to sign up for various sites and services, will they have to go into each and every one of their "membership" sites to change their credentials?

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

But what will happen to all the people that used those email addresses to sign up for various sites and services, will they have to go into each and every one of their "membership" sites to change their credentials?

At first I assume Microsoft will forward emails to the new addresses, but that will only last so long before the old addresses become unreachable.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Yeah I knew something was going on with Hotmail as when you visit the site now, everything is already branded towards Outlook so was only a matter of time really.

FWIW, I use Gmail anyway....far less spam!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

All the old messages, contacts and settings in the old inboxes will be exported to Outlook.com.

Users will also be able to keep their old @hotmail.com addresses.

Mine switched over today... eh.... no biggie to me.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Thanks for the imput Elevatedone! Good to hear from someone who has seen it. I will contact the wife in a bit to ask her to check her's as she is with hotmail as well.

I have my wife on the phone now and she didn't notice anything yet. I asked her to send me a email at work and she [email protected].

So her's has not converted yet I guess?
edit on 21-2-2013 by Teye22 because: To add.

edit on 21-2-2013 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Still waiting for StartPage.com to get an email service. I don't want corporate interests going through my email. Hopefully they'll come out with it sometime this year.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Switched a few days ago.
Hotmail address is still valid and will continue to be so.
outlook just adds features to your existing email.
Outlooks has been around for years. I used to use it at work.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Beartracker16

I use outlook at work right now...but this is a software included in windows, not a website email like hotmail....I am not sure but I dont think its the same type of software. But I am noe expert on this subject....just my opinion.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

I've used gmail since before it was available to the public. I have no plans to change that.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Originally posted by The Cusp
Still waiting for StartPage.com to get an email service. I don't want corporate interests going through my email. Hopefully they'll come out with it sometime this year.

If startpage adds e-mail, it will probably be third party, so you'll have the same problem. ALL providers log and keep copies of e-mails. It's the new freedom, don't you know?

edit on 2/21/2013 by Klassified because: add

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
So I understand I will be able to keep my existing "******@hotmail.com" email address, but will I need to run "MS Outlook" to still use the account?

I have it turned off/unstarted as default on my XP Pro.

Glad I can keep my email address though. Had it for many years although I use other addresses with other providers for different things.

cheers.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
reply to post by Teye22

I've used gmail since before it was available to the public. I have no plans to change that.

I totally agree, I will not be changing email services either. GMAIL is just perfect for me!

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teye22
But what will happen to all the people that used those email addresses to sign up for various sites and services, will they have to go into each and every one of their "membership" sites to change their credentials?

I wondered about this also... someone said the old hotmail.com addresses will still be valid... but for how long?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I only noticed this the other day.Like many of you I've got a hotmail email address but switched to gmail 5 years ago and stuck with it.

It's only because I got a notification that there was a new email in my hotmail account that I went and checked it out.

The email was to tell me about the upcoming switch to outlook.com.I wondered myself if it was the same as Outlook Express that used to be the default email service with a new windows pc.

The email gave me the option to upgrade to outlook now so I clicked it.Course,I'd forgotten my hotmail password,I was using my phone not the pc so I wasnt able to upgrade.

To be honest,it'll need to be real good to tempt me away from gmail,have to wait n see

new topics

top topics

join