Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Rand Paul returns $600k to the U.S. Treasury, AGAIN.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
+17 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
On top of the 500k he returned two years ago. Who says conservatism is bad? Shouldn't more politicians follow this example? Self-governance is key.

He is one of the only voices consistently hammering balanced budgets and limited government, a return to Constitutional principles.

www.courier-journal.com...

U.S. Sen. Rand Paul is returning $600,000 to the U.S. Treasury, money he said he saved through frugally operating his Senate office over the last year.

“It’s the only budget I control. ... It’s not enough, but it’s a start,” Paul said at a news conference Wednesday near Fourth and Liberty streets in downtown Louisville.

The $600,000, which amounts to 17 percent of Paul’s $3.5 million office budget, was in addition to about $500,000 he saved two years ago, his first year in the Senate, Paul said.

He said the savings were realized by “watching every purchase,” including keeping close tabs on expenditures for “computers, paper, ink cartridges. Everything we buy.”

Here is an interview of him when he was asked about his returning of 500k, I'm sure there will be interviews coming out about his most recent return:

he also gets very mad at those in the house who do NOT read the bills before voting.

edit on 21-2-2013 by eLPresidente because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Never watched much Rand before but the second video nails it. Man HOW CAN THEY PASS LAWS WITHOUT READING THEM. I'm Steaming mad.

Sick of the government do as I say and not as I do BS.
With Politicians allowed to insider trade, not reading laws and passing them, having armed gaurds protecting them and their children but telling us we deserve less, giving them their own raises while telling us to tighten our belt.

Things HAVE to change.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Yeah, those crack pot, nut job Paul Guys. What is it with them?

Can't they just be like all the normal congressmen?

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Rand Paul is a status quo republican.

Nothing more. No clue why the dude is almost worshiped. Might as well go worship Romney.

Rand Paul Votes For New Sanctions Against Iran

The U.S. Senate unanimously approved new economic sanctions Friday aimed at further crippling Iran’s energy, shipping and port sectors, a year after Congress passed tough restrictions against Tehran. The amendment, tacked onto a sweeping defense spending bill being debated by the chamber, passed 94-0 and should sail through the House of Representatives.

libertycrier.com...

Rand Paul Fetal Personhood Amendment Stalls Flood Insurance Bill

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) moved this week to hold a noncontroversial flood insurance bill hostage until the Senate agrees that life begins at fertilization.

The bill, which would financially boost the National Flood Insurance Program on the cusp of hurricane season, had been expected to pass easily in the Senate. But since Paul on Monday offered an unrelated "fetal personhood" amendment, which would give legal protections to fetuses from the moment of fertilization, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) is threatening to halt progress on the legislation.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
If Rand Paul ever runs for president, he's got my vote, that's for damn sure.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
It seems this is nothing special. Most of them give back something. The only difference is Paul's Pomp and Circumstance over it.

Sen. Rand Paul made a big show of it: He called a news conference and unveiled a Publishers Clearinghouse-size check for $500,000, the amount of unspent office funds he was returning to the U.S. Treasury after his first year in office Read more: www.politico.com...

He hasn't even given back the most.

During the past three years, Sen. Richard Shelby has returned more money to taxpayers than any other senator — about 40 percent or $1.2 million a year Read more: www.politico.com...

Although, to be fair, it seems the Republicans (on average) give back more than the Democrats.

Overall, Senate Republicans returned about 11.7 percent of their $269 million in available office funds and Democrats returned about 8.3 percent of their budgeted amount of $390 million over the past two years, according to a POLITICO analysis of salaries, travel, rent, supplies and other expenses published by the secretary of the Senate. Read more: www.politico.com...

There is an interesting list of who paid back what at the end of the article.

Frugal senators return office funds to U.S.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I applaud him for his efforts.
In addition to his own office’s spending, Its interesting to look at his position on spending as a whole.

Here is an article from the Washington Post that offers a different perspective on Rand Pauls types of cuts.

“Where would we cut spending? Let’s start with ending all foreign aid to countries that are burning our flag and chanting ‘Death to America.’ In addition, the president could begin by stopping selling or giving F-16s and Abrams tanks to Islamic radicals in Egypt.”

Paul’s comment came just before he said that the looming automatic spending cuts known as the sequester would not reduce the budget deficit fast enough. He quoted “many pundits” as saying that “we need $4 trillion in cuts” over the next decade.

Paul’s spokeswoman did not return a query about which countries Paul had in mind when he referred to burning the flag and chanting “Death to America.”

But we searched news reports over the past year and came up with a list of five countries: Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Lebanon and Iran. Many of those protests were in response to a video that was considered anti-Muslim, so they were not necessarily in opposition to U.S. policies.

Iran, of course, receives no foreign aid from the United States, so scratch it off the list. The demonstrations in Lebanon were organized by Hezbollah, which the United States regards as a terrorist organization. But Hezbollah is part of the Lebanese government, so we will keep it on the list.

Here’s the proposed 2013 level of aid for each of the countries:

Afghanistan: $4.6 billion

Pakistan: $2.4 billion

Yemen: $76 million

Lebanon: $167 million

Total: $7.243 billion

LINK

I think how Rand Paul conducts himself is great and should be replicated throughout the US.

In my opinion, Rand has identified some really good points on attempting to reduce the deficit. Though it seems he wants to extend his office’s budgetary philosophy to international level with US foreign policy.

By his frugal spending habits, he was able to save a substantial amount of money, but would a similar result be the case if US foreign policy did the same. Would counting every dollar and cutting expenditure on current goals result in a net reduction or would it perhaps incur similar if not more expenses in another area.

For example, If the US was to cut support to Pakistan or Egypt both financially or the in the form of military equipment, could the US incur further expenses in trying to combat the ramifications of not supporting these regimes and their policies?

With the validity and morality of supporting these countries Rand outlines aside, I am not sure if cutting spending would necessarily result in the reduction of the deficit as expenses always seem to crop up in other areas once you cut them.

But back to the point at hand, I think its great he is setting an example for all elected officials. I just believe that it would be naïve to think that his cost savings could result in a major contribution to the reduction of the national debt, but it’s a good start

The problem is with the entire structure itself. US spending/Foreign policy would need a major overhaul to stem the flow of cash and increasing amount of debt.
edit on 21-2-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Rand Paul still spent almost $3 million to run his congressional office. Considering the average is about $1 million per Congressman, he spent almost 3x what the average congressman spent. And you guys are praising him? Sheep, the whole lot of you.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

So why is anyone making a big deal out of returning money if it is normal?

The cult of Paul makes no sense.

He didn't even return the most.

edit on 21-2-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Why are these people getting so much money in the first place? It obviously isnt needed.

I wonder how much could be saved every year if none of them were given so much to being with.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
oh look, the only honest man in politics denied from presidency twice. Says a lot about our country and just how corrupt it really is.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

According to that list OVER HALF US Senators returned more money than Rand Paul!...He is just great at press conferences and printing up publisher clearing house size checks to smile beside.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle

So why is anyone making a big deal out of returning money if it is normal?

The cult of Paul makes no sense.

He didn't even return the most.

Not even CLOSE to the most...

Full list here...

www.politico.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Yeah, he is quite low on the list...

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Anybody that brings up Rand Paul's view on the civil rights act of 1964 either:

1) Is brainwashed by liberal media
2) Doesn't believe in Private Property
3) Or both.

Which one are you Waterbottle? You're radical alright, a radical LIAR.

Don't be shy, answer.

Obama gayer than gay? It was a joke, everybody knows it and the only people that make a big deal out of it only discredit themselves.

Rand Paul endorsing Romney? He always said he would ENDORSE THE REPUBLICAN PARTY'S CHOICE.

You are full of it, just stop.

I can't believe you didn't' bring up Rand Paul's Aquabuddha scandal lmao. Go ahead, pull it out, that must be your last card.

He is far from status quo Republican, if you had bothered to line his votes up with any other Senator, you'd see it. Its ok though, I know you rather make things up and LIE to the masses to get your way, than to actually do the homework behind all of your silly accusations.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by eLPresidente

Rand is probably the only great Congressman left.
He actually stands on principle and morals.

Reason why no one likes him? He makes sense.

If he ran for POTUS he'd get more than my vote.
He'd get contributions and support from a host of people who like him.

We all know what he is truly about...although he may get cheated like his father.
We aren't swayed by the propaganda machine that convinced the zombies to vote the last two times.

I like the second video.
If it was illegal to pass a bill before it was posted online then the authors need fired.
Period.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by eLPresidente

3) Or both.

Which one are you Waterbottle?

Quick...Quick...change the subject to civil rights 1964!!! Never mind your whole OP has just been shown to be BS! Well technically Rand Paul himself has been shown to be BS...you were just campaigning for his BS.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok
reply to post by eLPresidente

Rand is probably the only great Congressman left.
He actually stands on principle and morals.

Yes...him and the 60 or so other Senators both Dem and GOP that gave back MORE Money than Rand Paul did...but opted not to hold a press conference congratulating themselves for doing so.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

3) Or both.

Which one are you Waterbottle?

Quick...Quick...change the subject to civil rights 1964!!! Never mind your whole OP has just been shown to be BS! Well technically Rand Paul himself has been shown to be BS...you were just campaigning for his BS.

I was answering to Waterbottle's post, if he didn't sit there and smear and accuse Rand Paul of those things, I wouldn't have responded. Do you understand that simple concept?

How is the OP and Rand Paul shown to be BS? What he did was factual and what I said was factual.

Do you have anything relevant to say? Although, I find it entertaining how steaming mad he makes you.

Also, find it not surprising at all how you're nowhere to be found in Obama indefinite detention, patriot act, drone strike, and kill list threads. Turn a blind eye to your main squeeze and attack the opposition. Brilliant plan.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

How is the OP and Rand Paul shown to be BS? What he did was factual and what I said was factual.

Your OP...

On top of the 500k he returned two years ago. Who says conservatism is bad? Shouldn't more politicians follow this example?

You forgot to mention that the most Senators DO give money back and that most of those give far MORE back than Rand Paul does...and half of those that gave more back than Rand Paul were Dems! But he is the only Senator holding self-agrandizing press conferences about it.

I'd like to see HIM follow THIER example and not stage a press conference to congratulate himself for returning unspent public funds that didn't belong to him in the first place.

Does that answer your question?
edit on 21-2-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)
edit on 21-2-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join