It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You an Artist?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Cover Sketch for a Wiccan Teachings Book, 2006 - Virga Arts Limited.
edit on 21/2/2013 by CarbonBase because: Text, Spelling

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by grayeagle

Yes I am, but I have a really hard time focusing on it with all the other neat stuff there is to do in Colorado ! ! ! ! !

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Hi Anok,
ya'know I used to kind of agree with a lot of your sentiments here. I went to art school too, got my degree and then ventured out into the big world of art and artists.

Its very difficult and unlikely for a young artist to gain recognition from the established artistic elite, its kind of a closed shop. Many of the larger galleries have a roster of artists that they churn throughout the year, so there just isn't available wall space or time to fit in anyone new.

After a few years of hitting my head against the wall I dropped art altogether and became bitter and resentful of art and artists. But if you have that creative urge it is impossible to ignore, so I kept creating for my own sole pleasure until one day when I was introduced to an artistic collective working in the field of community arts. I joined as a volunteer, then was employed, then co-managed the organisation then eventually I moved away and started my own company. All our work is outside galleries, mainly in the public space but also in partnership with libraries, community centres and local government buildings.

We make art with people from every walk of life and introduce them to concept that everyone possesses the skills to create something meaningful that they can be proud of, its just a matter of finding the spark within. The majority of people we work with have never picked up a brush of pencil in their lives, they too fell for this 'you're not an artist and you never will be' bs. But once you light that fire - it can never be extinguished and pretty much all of the people benefit in some way or another, you can literally see their minds open up and ideas start to flow.

In community arts you have to be thick-skinned as we're continually ignored and sidelined by the establishment, its an uphill struggle to gain exposure and recognition from the artistic elite who deem it as 'not art' and 'unimportant' especially when it comes to funding - but thats another story altogether.

Here's a selection of some of our work...

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Severin

I couldn't agree more! Art connects us and does open people up to more of the creative spark that is in all of us. No matter what medium it takes art is a universal language. I guess I resent the idea that the title of "artist" must be reserved for only the superior.

edit on 06/02/2011 by grayeagle because: add

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by grayeagle

I guess I resent the idea that the title of "artist" must be reserved for only the superior.

Agreed!!
Maybe a couple of hundred years ago this rang true, but thankfully nowadays there is a real push going on at a community level to introduce the public to the huge benefits that art can have on not just the individual but on the society that we all share.

Slightly off topic, but it does broaden the debate...

'Everyone has the right to freely participate in the cultural life of the community'
Article 27. Universal Declaration of Human Rights

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Severin

I am fortunate to live in Boise, Idaho and community art is very much a part of our community. I was the coordinator for a community project in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho for 11 years. Every year we had kids from the community design our T-shirt. We painted homes for the elderly and disabled. When those homes took on a new coat of paint everyone smiled and we understood the joy of working together and it was ART. Good job on your efforts!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
went to sleep &
came back ...

Anok ...a yeah not so much

Severin... nail right on the head
also love those community projects

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by CeeRZ

Alright, I lost my hard drive, and thus all my saved scans and such, so it will take me some time to get some photos uploaded, images rescanned and what not. Just got my new drive installed and formatted by my husband. Glad I have a live in IT guy!

I work some heavy shifts the next 3 nights starting tonight, so be patient with me.
I will post something. Have had some folks in another thread asking for some drawings, too, so I may just kill two birds with one stone!

edit on 21-2-2013 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
been writing and recording my own music since i was a teenager

soundcloud.com...

worked with a lot of bands over the years, but i have also done a lot of stuff with people online all over the world through email.

i'm not much of an artist as far as ink or paint, but i can play the guitar like the devil, and sing like him too

ha ha

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I'm a digital artist
is that good?

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Casualboy100
I'm a digital artist
is that good?

It IS good

Although I'm sure there are some who would disagree.

The art I do for myself outside of my work is ALL digital nowadays, I haven't picked up a brush in years.

Here's some of my stuff...
Clean-up On Aisle Five

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Severin

Wow thats wayy better than mine
Can you tell me how to put an ats upload image on here?

nevermind got it, this of my sister and her boyfriend
I had made it for this class and it turned out pretty good

edit on 21-2-2013 by Casualboy100 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-2-2013 by Casualboy100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Casualboy100

Thanks, but I've been using photoshop for many years now!

Uploading is fairly straightforward...
Go to Tools at the top of each page-->
Select ATS Uploads-->
Hit the SELECT IMAGE FILE button-->
Browse for your files and hit SAVE.

There is a limit to the file size of 500kb so you may have to reduce the image file in order to upload.

I look forward to seeing your work

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I know its not that good

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I 'am an Artist. I work mostly in digital media, such as various 3d programs and photoshop. I love creating worlds that are new to others. . . it gives me a central "peace" about this world.

Without this, I would go absolutely insane.

'

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Casualboy100
I'm a digital artist
is that good?

It's all good.

I'm a painter. I never liked to be called an artist, somehow. I prefer painter. It's what I make. Paintings.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Art is subjective like a poster before me has stated.
I've seen dried up and cracked mud form naturally that looks better than some paintings I've encountered.
So the way I see it even this earth that we inhabit could be considered an artist. I mean, there are artists out there that are animals! To me art would exist even if we were not here having a hand in it.
Earth could be seen as the artist of things we see on it. While earth itself could also be seen as just another masterpiece of the universe.
So yes. We are all artists. Even if only by accident.

/just a different view for you

I do simple doodles, collages, musical recordings, photography.

Well, here's SOMETHING for you.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Severin

Nice ART Severin. So many people are so stubborn when it comes to medium. Because our society declares what is and isn't art based on subjective opinion. Opinion is so often rigid and inflexible not allowing for change or thinking outside the box. Innovation demands change! If we demand staying frozen in time then we need to return to the classic art of the caveman and cave woman. Everything since then has been an abomination and perversion of the true art form. So throw down those paint brushes and take up your stone tool and become a real artist. Just google and find a cave near you.

edit on 06/02/2011 by grayeagle because: add

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Art is the manifestation of the creative energy. Art is what one creates. I believe that negative acts are "art" painted with darker motivations. It is only a reflection of our own behavior.

Some people have more abundance of creative energy than others and they tend to be the "psychos" in our society.

OP I'm sorry for going off topic but sometimes it just makes sense as one writes...

Imo... serial killers, psychopaths (Hitler) and many other well known loonies from our past had the potential to become something great, but they chose their avenues to be negative rather positive.

I mean...have you seen Hitlers paintings? They are beautiful in my opinion. Again OP sorry for being off topic, just has to say that.

eta: I think there would be much world peace if people were more creative.

edit on 21-2-2013 by PurpleVortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Casualboy100

Yes, it most cetainly is !

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join