It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You an Artist?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
When Do You Become an Artist?

artist is a person engaged in one or more of any of a broad spectrum of activities related to creating art, practicing the arts, and/or demonstrating an art.
Wikipedia

I see nothing in the definition that declares that you have to have sold X amount of art. Nor that you have to have something hanging in a gallery or in a museum. I don’t see anything that says you have to be working at it full time. Or that you have to cut off your ear or be dead. So then why is it so hard for us to declare ourselves an artist?

Do we fear the critic? Is it art only after some well known art critic passes judgment on it. We know from history that many of the “great masters” were ridiculed and condemned by the critics of their day.

I believe it is art if we can experience our thoughts reflected in what we have produced or created. Does it speak to our heart? Does it communicate our feelings. We are often the worst critics of our efforts. If we create art for others we may become very discouraged by their response. Many people may not “get it.”

If we create art for ourselves then we can always enjoy it. Then when someone else “gets it” we can enjoy the experience of sharing. So I am asking you, “Are you an artist?”

I am.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I've been a Artist
from when I was young
& could move a medium

I was encouraged by my mother & father
both creative humans in their own way

earned my BFA in 96

is Art something you Do
or
is it something you Are

I find it to be both

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Me too!

What type(s) of art do you like or practice?

I enjoy a wide variety.

I am a jeweler, and do all types of jewelcraft from beading to gemstone collecting, to gemstone mounting, creating earrings, necklaces, bracelets from anything and everything. I also love chain maille.

I am in love with all things polymer clay. I make dollhouse minuatures, earrings that look like food, and other fun things. Polymer is wonderful for jewelry. Not just fun jewelry, but serious jewelry, too.

I love pencil drawing, pen and ink, pointallism, and colored pencil and charcoal.

I recently tried watercolor painting, and have bought both acrylic and oil paints and supplies and canvases. Just waiting for a bit warmer weather.

I do leather carving, leather work of all types, and sew leather clothes. I have made a leather mini skirt and bolero jacket I wore all the time, a leather mini dress that laced up the back, and several belts.

I knit, sew, crochet, and have designed some of my own clothes. I also love quilting, and all types of needle art from counted cross stitch to rug making.

My house has a craft room in an unused bedroom loaded with all kinds of crating things, and I can fairly much sit down and do just about anything that strikes my fancy, but, for some reason, I hesitated to call myself an artist. Last Christmas, I turned my breakfast nook into Santa's Workshop with shelves lining 3 walls, a long worktable, and a hutch. It still stands, as I love having it there!

I always referred to myself more as a jack of all trades, as there is little I won't try, from household type work or decorating, to outdoors.

So, I stand with you.

I am!

edit on 20-2-2013 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

I agree. I think everyone has the ability to create something that represents their thoughts or feelings starting with stick figures or cardboard boxes. But their are also people who have no choice but to share their creativity because it is who they are and how they communicate.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

I do jewelry, lapidary, wood carving, painting, fly tying, photography( both digital and pin hole camera) I write short stories and poetry. If I didn't have those creative outlets I would have to create something else.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The only medium through which I seem to be able to express myself artistically is Music.
I don't make anything but minute pieces that 'make sense' to me, in any genre. lol

The huge contrast in my music reflects my mood.
Which is the experiment i'm trying. I've dedicated a soundcloud page to archiving my mood through music.

100 pieces representing 100 days/100 different feelings

soundcloud.com...

I wanted to leave something behind of myself.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by grayeagle

I do jewelry, lapidary, wood carving, painting, fly tying, photography( both digital and pin hole camera) I write short stories and poetry. If I didn't have those creative outlets I would have to create something else.

Ah, I left out writing, I do enjoy that as well, both short stories and poetry.

So a lapidary! (love) Something I have a huge interest in, but a short bank account for! Oh! I have been wanting to get into that now for about two years, after I started collecting gemstones and learning how to identify them. I bought all of my supplies over time, but a lapidary wheel is a big investment I just can't do. The closest I have come is dreaming about a polisher on jtv for about 325.00 . I would adore that about 5 kilos of Ethiopan opal rough.

What type jewelry do you make? Would love to know more!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Generally an artist is someone who shows superior skill in whatever art form they practice. Artist is not usually a label you put on yourself, but one that comes from the recognition of your skill.

Be humble, you are not really an artists unless you have been recognized as such by other discerning professionals. How would you know if you are an artist any other way?

I am good at drawing and painting, even went to art school for two years, but I wouldn't be so pretentious as to call myself an artist.

Doing art, and being an artist, is two different things.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

I liked several, especially piano. Sadly, as much as I love music, I suck at making it!

I bookmarked your page, btw. Hope you don't mind.
I would like to listen to it more.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Find a rock shop in your area and let them know what you are wanting to do and the price range you can afford.. Many communities have rock clubs that have equipment you can learn on. Some times older members will sell their equipment to new members at big savings. Also follow EBay. I purchased a completely rebuilt ten inch slab saw normally going for 700-900 dollars for 350. I also got a new Diamond Genie 6 inch cab machine for 800 that was normally selling for about 1,200 at that time.

I rock hound and do a lot of star garnets, opals, agate, jasper, jade, rhodonite, labradorite, thunder eggs, etc.I use to facet stones as well but no longer have a machine.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
Generally an artist is someone who shows superior skill in whatever art form they practice. Artist is not usually a label you put on yourself, but one that comes from the recognition of your skill.

I would have to disagree. Artist is a descriptive term. It holds no bias of superior skill.

Be humble, you are not really an artists unless you have been recognized as such by other discerning professionals. How would you know if you are an artist any other way?

You know you are an artist when you choose to carry that label.

Here, I agree with you, I have known many artists who do not produce what I would call art. The value of any piece of art is subjective.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

I am good at drawing and painting, even went to art school for two years, but I wouldn't be so pretentious as to call myself an artist.

Wow, talk about taking the wind out of my sails.

Regardless, I do consider myself an artist, and have been called such by others in varying art fields, though I have not entered the "professional" arena.

I suppose that the only difference is whether or not you are published and recognized in that fashion, and that is probably one of the things that has prevented me from going public or, "mainstream", is the pretentiousness of it all.

No, I never went to art school, aside from developmental arts in elementary and high school. I was in college prep in highschool, and completed the highest level of art available by 10th grade, study of the formal arts.

I am self taught, and proud of it. I don't find fault in anyone with natural talents as being any different from someone formally taught, aside from attitude and expense.

Some of the best art I have seen has come from street artists.

Being called an artist, and calling oneself an artist can really be two different things. I have seen people called artists that seriously left me wondering. Seriously.

Being an artist, in the formal sense, takes a lot of money, and depends on who you know, just like anything else. Some people, no matter how offensive some may find it, refuse to play that game.

edit on 20-2-2013 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

I am sorry you feel that way. Did you read the definition at the beginning of my post. Where does it say you have to have professional artists knight you? I speak with all sincerity when I say there are many better artists then myself but I am still an artist. There are surgeons and there are incredible surgeons but they are all surgeons. I believe strongly that it is important to acknowledge your personal talent. As I mentioned, Van Gogh's professional critics condemned his style. Does that mean he wasn't an artist?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Libertygal
Wow, talk about taking the wind out of my sails.

Sorry didn't mean to do that lol. You don't have to take what I say that seriously, but surely you didn't expect all roses?

Regardless, I do consider myself an artist, and have been called such by others in varying art fields, though I have not entered the "professional" arena.

I don't think you have to be a professional, just exceptional, and recognised. If other people call you an artist it's a compliment.

I suppose that the only difference is whether or not you are published and recognized in that fashion, and that is probably one of the things that has prevented me from going public or, "mainstream", is the pretentiousness of it all.

Yeah, the art world is extremely pretentious lol.

No, I never went to art school, aside from developmental arts in elementary and high school. I was in college prep in highschool, and completed the highest level of art available by 10th grade, study of the formal arts.

I am self taught, and proud of it. I don't find fault in anyone with natural talents as being any different from someone formally taught, aside from attitude and expense.

Some of the best art I have seen has come from street artists.

Being called an artist, and calling oneself an artist can really be two different things. I have seen people called artists that seriously left me wondering. Seriously.

Being an artist, in the formal sense, takes a lot of money, and depends on who you know, just like anything else. Some people, no matter how offensive some may find it, refuse to play that game.

To tell you the truth I didn't learn chit in art school, it was a waste of time really lol, that's why I left after 2 years. But point is calling yourself an artist doesn't make you an artist. Just like governments calling themselves communist doesn't make them communist. (had to slip that one in lol)

I guess I'm just waffling about formal etiquette, which I guess is irrelevant these days?

1. Never misrepresent your amateur status

5 Rules of Amateur Artist Etiquette

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Hm. Mayhaps you either misread he, or I. Not sure. I never, nor anyone else in the thread, called themselves professional.

I read the link you provided, and this is a quote from your link:

" 2. Learn how to accept a compliment. We as artists are
constantly striving to improve our art."

He clearly says we as artists, but differentiates himself and the topic as amateur and professional. I certainly am amateur, I even stated as much. Yet, amateur artist is still an artist.

Remember when I said I considered myself a Jack of all trades? Certainly, you know the rest of the saying. In case I took it for granted though...

Jack of all trades, master of none.

I have no one thing I consider mastered. If I did, perhaps I would persue a title of Master Artist. Nonetheless, that does not diminish that I am certainly an artist, and beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, as was pointed out by the OP.

Appreciate the link, though.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I'm an artist. Music, Portraits, Acting, Singing. Cooking even
There is definitely an art to cooking.

I would love to see/hear some art of my fellow ATSers
Maybe I'll share some of my own.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by CeeRZ

Cooking certainly is an art! My mother was a wonderful cook, I only wish to be as good as her one day. My husband loves my cooking, even says it is better than his mom's! Shh, don't tell her, but what a huge compliment from a man! I think he is just biased, though!

I have thought about posting some things, and every time I just about have the fortitude, a thread like this comes along, and all it takes is one thing to make me second guess it. Sigh.

I am beginning to feel like my courage is overcoming my fears of rejection though, so maybe that is a good thing. Time will tell, I suppose.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Libertygal

Originally posted by CeeRZ

Cooking certainly is an art! My mother was a wonderful cook, I only wish to be as good as her one day. My husband loves my cooking, even says it is better than his mom's! Shh, don't tell her, but what a huge compliment from a man! I think he is just biased, though!

I have thought about posting some things, and every time I just about have the fortitude, a thread like this comes along, and all it takes is one thing to make me second guess it. Sigh.

I am beginning to feel like my courage is overcoming my fears of rejection though, so maybe that is a good thing. Time will tell, I suppose.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Yes, I do artwork. I write (working on an illustrated Sci-Fi Novel right now, or at least I should be working on it instead of bumming around this site ! ! !
)

Anywho here is a sample of some of my work, a tribute to Arthur C. Clark, posted to C2C AM, shortly after MR Clarkes death.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Moon, Farm, Cottonwoods, Prker, Colorado - Virga Arts Limited

edit on 21/2/2013 by CarbonBase because: Wrong Pic !

edit on 21/2/2013 by CarbonBase because: Wrong pic, Wrong Text DOH !

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join