It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Moon & Jupiter Conjunction From Australia - Photo

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Wow this is an amazing photo. I have noticed that Jupiter's proximity to the moon this month has created a lot of threads as some people are unaware that it is indeed Jupiter getting frisky with the moon. I saw it from Canada at its closest a few weeks ago. It was spectacular.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Are those Jupiter's moons surrounding it? If so this pic is even more spectacular!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Beautiful, even my puny telescope couldn't pick that up.

Amazing.

And breathtaking.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by WormwoodSquirm

Beautiful - thank you for sharing. You made my day by showing me real evidence of how really amazing our place in the Universe really is!!!

Much Peace...

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Awesome pic!
Does anyone have a link to more info, I was wondering if there
are other photos? Thanks for posting Wormword!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
That "photo" is a highly manipulated work of art. Beautiful nevertheless. But yea, come on, you cant see the craters on the moon quite like that with the naked eye, giggle, so how is there trees in the photo, with a telescoped moon peeking out? Good stuff. Im not a photographer, and Ive never been fortunate enough to go to australia yet, but Im pretty sure the moons just as far away from the earth on their side as it is on ours here in England... so yea. art piece. not reallly photo.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lagrimas
That "photo" is a highly manipulated work of art. Beautiful nevertheless. But yea, come on, you cant see the craters on the moon quite like that with the naked eye, giggle, so how is there trees in the photo, with a telescoped moon peeking out? Good stuff. Im not a photographer, and Ive never been fortunate enough to go to australia yet, but Im pretty sure the moons just as far away from the earth on their side as it is on ours here in England... so yea. art piece. not reallly photo.

It is indeed a photo, slightly enhanced, over exposed yes but nonetheless a photo
Additional Link
Found more info:
Camera Used: Canon Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Exposure Time: 1/30
Aperture: Unavailable
ISO: 800
Date Taken: 2013:02:19 00:28:14
Link from Space Weather - Huge High rez version here
edit on 20-2-2013 by WormwoodSquirm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The moons blow me away: From left to right, Ganymede, Io, Callisto, Europa

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Thanks for the links!
I was enjoying the photo's earlier this evening
of the Nebula they have deemed the "Lobster".

I enjoy this, cant get enough!
Thanks again

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Yes,those would be Jupiters moons!
I've recently been looking at it through my own scope from home and I love being able to see the moons. Knowing that they're so far away yet seem so small to us (and they're actually MASSIVE) is breathtaking.
That's why I got my own scope, I love to look at images like this (manipulated or not)! Having my own lets me view this from my own backyard (weather permitting!)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Cheers and Thank You Burn!
I hope we get to Europa in my lifetime. My father wrote a sci-fi murder mystery that takes place there when I was a kid and ever since I have been hooked on Jupiter. Not to mention 2001 and 2010 movies. Whoa!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Here is something else very special about Jupiter. It could have been a twin star if the gases of our solar system were more uniform during its creation according this expert:

"Jupiter is called a failed star because it is made of the same elements (hydrogen and helium) as is the Sun, but it is not massive enough to have the internal pressure and temperature necessary to cause hydrogen to fuse to helium, the energy source that powers the sun and most other stars.

"However, Jupiter has only about 0.1 percent the mass of the sun, and as it is definitely not a star, we can't really call the solar system a double star. It is interesting to note, however, that more than half of all stars in the sky are part of a binary, triple, or higher multiple star system (binaries being the most common). So the Sun is unusual in being a loner.

"As for why Jupiter failed to become a star--it probably had to do with the accident of the sun grabbing most of the mass early in the formation of the solar system, while in other systems the mass was more equitably distributed; in binary star systems, for example, the masses of the stars are commonly roughly equal. Stellar formation is a hot topic of current research, as astronomers are trying to fathom the still-mysterious details of the birth process.

Link

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Here is the "lobster" from the ESO VISTA....
www.eso.org...

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by WormwoodSquirm

Wow this is an amazing photo. I have noticed that Jupiter's proximity to the moon this month has created a lot of threads as some people are unaware that it is indeed Jupiter getting frisky with the moon. I saw it from Canada at its closest a few weeks ago. It was spectacular.

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

S&F

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Yeah that photo is as real as my love for green veggies

Here's one (0 manipulation) i took with my dslr on Tuesday night from South West WA

edit on 21-2-2013 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   
that puts my photo to shame i need a new camera lol.

well done

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by WormwoodSquirm

what's going on with this 'photo'?

why are there trees/brush blocking out the lower half of the shot and what accounts
for the different smudged layers surrounding the moon?
their is a lot of pixillation going on in and around jupiter and it's moons.

also shouldn't the dividing line between the section in sunlight and the section in shadow
be more defined, crisp and uniform?

the 'photo' doesn't quite ring true, does it?

edit on 21-2-2013 by OutonaLimb because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   

No matter what it is a thing of beauty so thanks thats a keeper if you dont mind

edit on 21/2/2013 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Great photo.
It looks like its own solar system. It makes me think thats what Nibiru would look like if it existed. ,isnt it suppose to have 3 or 4 moons..
So even if the theory that we cant see it because its a brown dwarf star and doesnt reflect light is plausible, we would still be able to see all those moons.. Just like in this photo

snf
edit on 21-2-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lagrimas

I don't know if this is a real photo as it does look quite 'artists impression' like but it is possible to take photo's which make the moon appear that big. With a big enough lens and zoom capability, the moon can be captured with trees which are practically on the horizon and hardly visible with the naked eye. It is an optical illusion, in the same way that the moon appears bigger on the horizon than it does when it's directly overhead. Trees will look tiny at 3 miles away (horizon) but 3 miles won't make any difference to how big the moon appears.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join