It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OSU makes 'clean coal' breakthrough

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
The new process does not burn the coal to extract the energy. This has the result of a tremendous reduction of the CO2 produced from the traditional burning. I wonder how much this new costs though? I also wonder what chemicals are required, and will this produce a different toxic side-effect? But its good to see research to clean up this process to provide for our energy addiction here in the U.S., while trying to slow our negative impact on this planet.

Source: OSU makes 'clean coal' breakthrough

Source with more details: Major Breakthrough in Clean Coal Technology Promises to Breathe New Life into US Coal Industry
edit on 20-2-2013 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Interesting, but the article reveals virtually nothing. How is it "Burnt"?, What Chemicals are used?, What waste is produced? How much Energy/pollution is made, to produce the "Chemicals" used? etc etc.

Considering Power stations burnt coal= to produce heat= to heat water= to create steam= to turn the turbines.

What does the "Chemical Reaction" do..= create Heat? where does the waste go?

I thought technology was being developed to turn coal into a useful liquid diesel type fuel..

Either way it is still more pollution and heat....

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by gort51

I added a link to more details in the OP.

The secret appears to be in the heating of the coal rather than the burning of the coal. This allows for the recycling of the carbon dioxide within a “Coal-Direct Chemical Looping”, (CDCL) system that captures the carbon dioxide. The Department of Energy standards requires a 90% capture rate, at OSU testing there has been a 99% capture rate, far exceeding the EPA standards.

edit on 20-2-2013 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
cheniere.org...'s a little tidbit for ya.......Hope you enjoy how much you've been uxcked over the years,.....w8tn...

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
sorry, they are not lettin' me show you

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
How did this not get more attention??

Really, NO flags? That's insane ATS...

www.osu.edu...

This is a MAJOR milestone in energy production, a way to release the energy from coal while capturing 99% of the CO2! I can't believe nobody posted anything on this and no flags...

S&F OP.

~Namaste
edit on 1-3-2013 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

top topics

join