Dogs help Rangers catch Elephant Poachers

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Just found this article and thought it was worth sharing. The Democratic Republic of Congo is having some success training bloodhounds to track down poachers. An interesting avenue of attack on a huge problem.

The Democratic Republic of the Congo’s Virunga National Park employs a lean, mean team of crime-fighters to take on evil elephant poachers. These elite commandoes are fearless trackers, work for practically nothing, have exceptional loyalty, and are a pack of adorable puppies.

These pups have exceptional sense of smell and can identify a single scent out of 5 million competing scents.

Two of the Congohounds embarked on their first crime-fighting mission last week, after routine aerial surveillance spotted a slain elephant, its tusks hacked off its face. Dodi and Lily were dispatched to the scene. The dogs picked up a scent, leading rangers on a trail heading towards a nearby fishing village. A ranger then caught up with the suspected poachers, who opened fire, but eventually dropped their weapons and fled the scene. Then everyone got a biscuit!

Unfortunately, in the case cited, the bad guys were still able to flee. I guess its a step in the right direction and may dissuade some poachers, but I do worry that as the poachers get more desperate, they will search out and harm the dogs - If they don't get them when they come tracking. Too much money involved.

Nevertheless, an amazing testament to the talent and loyalty of the pups! All for a biscuit.

grist.org...

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

What a wonderful story of the magnificent dog. Then again... I always knew dogs were great!

Just wish all this poaching would stop.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Australiana

Agreed. Dogs are capable of some amazing feats and their loyalty goes without saying. And poaching is so horrible I hope it has some positive.

new topics

join