It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Horsemeat Makes its Way to European Union

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

American horses are sold to slaughter factories in Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay. Many are concerned that the slaughtered American horses, which were not raised for human consumption, eventually make their way into the food chain and could pose serious health concerns.
Horse slaughter factories for human consumption once existed in America; there were three factories owned by foreign companies.

Link

With BLM Knowledge: Wild Horses Sold to Kill Buyer by BLM Contractor

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has been trying to convince the public that the BLM does not sell wild horses to slaughter, but the Wild Horse Freedom Federation has obtained proof that a BLM Long Term Holding contractor sold wild horses directly to kill buyer Joe Simon, who is well known for sending horses to slaughter, and who owns JS Ranch (“Farms”) in Perkins, Oklahoma.

To give a little background, the BLM uses lame excuses to remove wild horses from their federally protected Herd Management Areas while letting other “uses” take over. For instance, BLM claims wild horses cause “degradation” to the range, but then allows oil and gas drilling (and fracking) on the same land, which does far more damage. The BLM uses helicopters to round up the wild horses, then puts the horses in short-term holding facilities, maintenance facilities, and ultimately, ships horses to same-sex long-term holding pastures, where the public is led to believe the horses will spend the rest of their lives.

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has actually rounded up so many wild horses off of public lands that were designated as the horses' federally Protected Herd Management areas, to make way for oil & gas drilling, mining and other "uses," that the BLM now has more wild horses in same-sex holding facilities than are on public lands.

Now I don't know where this horse meat is coming from that is being exported to the EU because while googling around I found a few articles from 2011 that stated the US had re-legalized horse slaughter houses. I know for a fact I am not finding any horse products in the butcher department at the grocery store so where is this horse meat going. I will bet you anything it is finding it's way into our food chain somehow and we are just not being told about it. Now I am no vegan but just the idea of eating a horse doesn't sit well with me. I won't eat veal, or rabbit, or lamb either. I know I am weird but if I found out I had been fed horse meat I would have a fit!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
When I found out that the findus lasagne readymeals ( i have ate them quite a few times ) had horsemeat in them I was quite shocked. But after dwelling on it for a while I am not that bothered. I eat cow, sheep, pig, duck etc so what does a horse thrown in here or there matter. I am not biased with what animals I eat
It seems to me that this has probably been going on a long time and we are only hearing about it now, only thing that worries me is the health factor, if the meat is suitable for human consumption then im okay with it but god knows what state some of these meat factories are in.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
this is happening everywhere in the e.u personally i think its a false flag to distract us from some thing bigger

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Horse Meat Inspection Ban Lifted In The U.S.
TULSA, Okla. -- Horses could soon be butchered in the U.S. for human consumption after Congress quietly lifted a 5-year-old ban on funding horse meat inspections, and activists say slaughterhouses could be up and running in as little as a month.

Slaughter opponents pushed a measure cutting off funding for horse meat inspections through Congress in 2006 after other efforts to pass outright bans on horse slaughter failed in previous years. Congress lifted the ban in a spending bill President Barack Obama signed into law Nov. 18 to keep the government afloat until mid-December.

It did not, however, allocate any new money to pay for horse meat inspections, which opponents claim could cost taxpayers $3 million to $5 million a year. The U.S. Department of Agriculture would have to find the money in its existing budget, which is expected to see more cuts this year as Congress and the White House aim to trim federal spending.

The USDA issued a statement Tuesday saying there are no slaughterhouses in the U.S. that butcher horses for human consumption now, but if one were to open, it would conduct inspections to make sure federal laws were being followed. USDA spokesman Neil Gaffney declined to answer questions beyond what was in the statement.

here

I never even saw this or read about this and I am a news junkie.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I know a couple years ago horses were being abandoned at an astonishing rate, people could not afford to feed them. Others were starving to death, a friend of mine told me there were some shady folks going around and buying horses off people on hard times for about $150 these brokers then sold them for slaughter, and to companies that process hair and hooves. I thought she was nuts what would you do with horse meat- now, not so much. Glad I do not buy frozen meals and have pretty much given up fast food. Now I am looking for a small farm to raise my families meat.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Horse Meat, its whats for dinner. Yummy.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Ever have a whopper from burger king
Horse meat is good
Europeans will love it

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Just wondering, what EXACTLY is the health risk to eating horse meat? Is there any real health risk or is the typical ecotard "we don't know so its bad"?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

They are pets. I find it absolutely disgusting. But really when you think about it all animal slaughter is awful. So I understand your reasoning.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
Just wondering, what EXACTLY is the health risk to eating horse meat? Is there any real health risk or is the typical ecotard "we don't know so its bad"?

It's not really the fact that it's horse meat that's a big deal. I think people are just more pissed off that the label lied to them. I'd even eat a horse steak if I had the chance to try it.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Actually it seems like people are pissed off that others were lied to. The majority of the buthurt I have witnessed is coming from the US while the microwave lasagna is distributed in the UK.
The same healthnuts that would get super pissed by this would not be eating microwave lasagna in the first place.
Its just the same alternative health religion trying to impose their beliefs on everyone else.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Because of the toxic drugs they give horses. the average horse is Not safe for human consumption

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Because of the toxic drugs they give horses. the average horse is Not safe for human consumption

what toxic drugs are those?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Bute

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact

Bute

Okay they use that in cows too, but can you actually show (without making anything up) that bute is used on the horses that are being slaughtered and eaten?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
There are other more disgusting issues

Dog Meat

Though the horsemeat thing is pretty gross

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Okay they use that in cows too, but can you actually show (without making anything up) that bute is used on the horses that are being slaughtered and eaten?

How hard is it ?

Fears over the rogue horse meat surfaced after it was discovered that eight out of 206 horse carcasses checked between January 30 and February 7 tested positive for the drug phenylbutazone, widely known as bute, the UK Food Standards Agency said.

edition.cnn.com...

and about your claim of the bute in cattle .... lets get the facts

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is issuing an order prohibiting the extralabel use of phenylbutazone animal and human drugs in female dairy cattle 20 months of age or older. FDA is issuing this order based on evidence that extralabel use of phenylbutazone in these dairy cattle will likely cause an adverse event in humans. The Agency finds that such extralabel use presents a risk to the public health for the purposes of the Animal Medicinal Drug Use Clarification Act of 1994 (AMDUCA).

www.fda.gov...

all of 1 minute to find this for you Mr Lazy

LoL

edit on 20-2-2013 by DevilsApprentice because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
GB- In case you haven't noticed there is a drought in the major hay growing areas. If someone can't afford to buy hay to feed their horse they can't afford to have a vet out to put a horse down and then a renderer to take it away.

Mustangs are feral horses and for the past 40 years have had the best picked out of them (You probably will not find another JB Andrew to adopt among what is left)
What would you rather have starve to death A bighorn sheep or a mustang? A bison or a mustang? there is only so much grass in a drought something has to go.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

what toxic drugs are those?

Lasix, Ace, Ivermectin, and a whole slew of others that I can't name off the top of my head.

Bute causes adverse effects in humans (I want to say brain swelling) I believe. Not something you want to take.
edit on 20-2-2013 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DevilsApprentice

Im sure you heard someone else call another lazy on this forum and you have been dying to use that in a response but im not lazy, I just don't care. I was not making claims of toxic horse meat nor did I ever say that there was nothing in it. I was asking someone else to back up what they were saying.
If you were to research a tad bit more you would have found that the bute has not been in the food

www.guardian.co.uk...
Heath said the Findus lasagne found to contain horsemeat had tested negative for bute. The FSA confirmed that all tests on the food products analysed so far, including Tesco burgers, were negative.

and about your claim of the bute in cattle .... lets get the facts

Yeah....the facts. It is used in cows, I don't believe I said that it was used in beef cattle. I was pointing out that just beause a drug is used on an animal it is not used on ALL the animals.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join