Star Trek-style holodeck becomes reality as scientists invent 3D vitual reality system

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Being a trekkie I find this really cool :-)

Scientist's in the United States have turned science fiction into reality with a wrap-around virtual reality screen where researchers can visualise their data in three dimensions.

Okay so it's not quite star trek standard issue yet but still its pretty cool.

Here's a link with a video -

Star Trek Style Holodeck Becomes Reality

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

That is awesome!

The oil industry has been using 3-d glasses and special rooms for quite some time now. Not surprising -- the companies that make the most money obviously are going to have the best technology years before anyone else...

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Okay reading the article headline back which I copied from the site it does appear to be a bit misleading.

still cool tho,

but hey

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Things in the holodeck could be touched and moved...also could kill you. So not quite there yet!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Why not also make this thread a depository for all the new updates and discoveries in Virtual Reality tech. I haven't heard anything about it for quite awhile, so if anyone has links to ATS pages they suggest, etc.

I loved the Next Generation holodeck episodes. Picard as the detective. The episode in London, I'd imagine the military and western governments would have some of this tech perfected, at least years ahead of what the general public gets to play with. Why they can't just share and release the up-to-date science seems unfair and selfish, to be honest about it.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedParrotHead
Things in the holodeck could be touched and moved...also could kill you. So not quite there yet!

That will be implemented when DARPA takes over development.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Cool! Anything 3D is so catchy, right.

So, how does that work if we are already in a holographic universe? Sort of like a dream within a dream??

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Wall sized screens (3d) will come first. I doubt we will see true holodecks for the home for another fifteen years. They will milk the technology incremental first.

Interesting times though. I hope I am still here to see it.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Well said. It is something.

Now the work that still needs to be done is very very fine details and tricks of the eye to make a person second guess if they are in the simulation, or not in the simulation.

This is a good place to start I am glad people are working on this.

Now if they could only make it if I was surrounded by "fill in the blank" and it was so awesome I did not want to leave, until my wife unplugged the computer processor and said

"Welcome back to the real world".

Then I would then ask, "which one? "

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Consumer virtual reality will arrive next year, with the release of Oculus Rift. It will be even more immersive than this system and cost only 300 bucks. The technology was already there for some time, good VR for the masses is long overdue.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
All this virtual reality talk reminds me of the book 'Ready Player One' by Ernest Cline.

Great wee book about a massive online multiplayer simulation which most the world is submersed in whilst the world goes to pot.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Staying on the star trek theme I found this article -

Miniature Star Trek style 'tractor beam' built

Researchers from St Andrews demonstrated that the microscopic-scale apparatus could pull tiny particles suspended in water towards it via a beam of light, rather than push them away as would normally happen.

They are talking about a very small scale as they would need a very powerful laser to scale it up, but again, it's something

new topics
top topics

join