It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trolls with multiple handles

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
When people say they have looked at your post history via your profile and then accuse you of some nonsense - Its quite a disgusting feeling really. Was the same feeling I had when someone hacked my email. Obviously they are all posts that anybody can read but when someone intentionally goes through your posting history to pull you up on something it just seems wrong. I guess some people have short tempers and too much time on there hands.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister
reply to post by Jaellma

I don't know if ATS checks ip's on trolls but that would be the best way to find out if they are using multiple accounts. I do a bit of troll hunting myself now and then, like checking the post history on ones I find suspicious. Lately I have been checking up on [snipped mischievous link], I don't have a solid case yet but it's only a matter of time

edit on 20/2/2013 by cripmeister because: (no reason given)

Hey, that's me.
edit on 2/20/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by cripmeister

Ha, ha,...very funny....

I am wondering why do people troll; it is such a waste of time. They would be better off joining in the discussion and learning something and/or contributing something of value.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice
When people say they have looked at your post history via your profile and then accuse you of some nonsense - Its quite a disgusting feeling really. Was the same feeling I had when someone hacked my email. Obviously they are all posts that anybody can read but when someone intentionally goes through your posting history to pull you up on something it just seems wrong. I guess some people have short tempers and too much time on there hands.

That is kind of how that felt. Only monetarily though. Going through someone's previous online identity is par for the course these days. And obviously vital to weeding out the trolls.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

Yep, that has happened to me on a number of occasions. Rather than feeling the warm glow of victory, they have to stick the knife in a twist one last time and make it public.

Hey F* Face, why don't you even take a screen shot and post that up as well.........

OK I WAS WRONG !!!!!! FFS

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

reply to post by Jaellma

I don't know if ATS checks ip's on trolls but that would be the best way to find out if they are using multiple accounts. I do a bit of troll hunting myself now and then, like checking the post history on ones I find suspicious. Lately I have been checking up on [snipped mischievous link], I don't have a solid case yet but it's only a matter of time

Playing detective on forum members is called “Stalking” and it is not a healthy hobby and I am sure ATS has already set of rules to protect their members against people like you.

Of course you don’t have any case let alone solid case. I demand public and formal apology for your baseless accusations and defamation.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by amkia

PFFFFTTT! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by amkia

I doubt I'll hear any apologies. But hey. Sticks and stones.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

reply to post by Jaellma

I think it's in quite poor taste to post that. You have made no contact with me yourself, shouldn't that be the logical first step.

edit on 20-2-2013 by AdamOver because: no change, was going to delete post. Wasnt sure how.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamOver

That link does go to my account, right? It isn't one of those links that takes each user to their own profile?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
ROFL.

Now do I feel a plum or what.

< ducks
and covers />

+10 TWAT Award goes to me.. All donations gratefully recieved... I wonder what user it was meant to link to?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I think some people on here are not "getting it".

It was a joke.............or are you being serious guys?

The link you clicked on is a link that takes you to your own profile page. That is all, it's just a shortcut. Froggy man has not singled you out. We all fell for it, hence my earlier comment to him / her.

Blimey, talk about over the top.

Or are you joking?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
ATTENTION!

Please stay on topic.

The member was just having a bit of fun...the link has been removed. Just FYI, no one person was the target of the joke, it wasn't personal.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Yep, I jumped the gun there.

In my defence, it's 2.30 in the morning here. Could a mod delete those post of mine that went off topic. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Lol, and I didn't even click the link, I thought it was a serious rant/topic.

Le sigh.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Even when I thought it was meant for me personally, I wasn't all that upset. If I was considered a legitimate troll, do you think my count would still exist? I have not yet unleashed my full powers on this website, and I don't intend to either. I may let the dog out for a short walk though...

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

I am sorry Jaellma for playing a prank in your thread, please accept my apology.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
****Back on topic please****

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Well, you know what they say...

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jaellma
I am now convinced (as many of you are aware) there are various trolls with multiple handles whose sole purpose is to infiltrate well meaning threads with obfuscation and red herrings and with the intent to dummy down and discredit whatever topic is being discussed.

Now, these are not your typical die-hard skeptics or die-hard believers. These are people who intentionally try to railroad threads with nonsensical arguments or off-topic rants.

You can usually spot them due to their activity level, stars, flag counts, etc. They usually don't have avatars but that does not preclude them from having more of a prominent presence.

ATS is a free forum, for the most part but I believe if these people minimize their activity, this place will be a better place to discourse, debate and have well meaning discussions.

Here is a Clue, true trolls do not generally start threads, because they will then be responsible to guiding the content (moderators do what they can) which is not in their nature to follow the natural life or variants that happen with responses. They are the one liners. Do not discount others that have real time thought/material, and keep a thread alive by questioning intellegently.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join