It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get ready for a meat shortage

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I am not worried, we got a full freezer of our own angus we raised, and have for the last few years.

You only need a USDA stamp if you plan to sell it.

Sometimes pets make the tastiest meals.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Nothing is going to happen. They'll kick the can down the road again for another three or four months. Guarantee it. They'll pull something out of the woodwork at 11:58 on February 28th.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Time to break out the pink slime.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by diqiushiwojia
Now that people will be forced to turn vegetarian, they can finally see the benefits of it.

Yeah, until they discover that the price of vegetables has quadrupled due to there being nothing else on the menu...then the benefits will be hard to see.

Algae bioreactors here we come.
edit on 21-2-2013 by MysterX because: added comment

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
GAs going up, dairy products going up, meat products going up. Looks like a concerted effort to lay waste to those who have very little money. I know those of you who live in the bigger cities really can't farm or hunt your own food. Those who can, should. I buy rabbitts from a friend of mine, allready cleaned and ready to cook up like you want them.

My wife & I can meats. It's pretty damn easy. Shelf life of over five years. All you need is a pressure canner, follow the instructions and can your way to grocery price freedom. We buy cheese in large quanaties and encase in wax, last's forever. I'm not a big fan of venison, but I have plenty in the freezer and canned up into recipes, like chili, soup,spaghetti sauce. I vent my own wine, I don't drink myself, but my wife likes a glass or two with her dinner. Where we live you can produce up to (99) 750ml bottles, I can say without hesitation, we have (99) bottles in the prep pantry, maybe more I may have been errant in my counting Do all you can to curb the cost, they aint gonna starve us all.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by heyitsok

Sorry, I will turn cannibal before I will turn vegetarian. And, fair warning, I like the taste of grass-fed Human.
Thats Gold , Pure Gold.

Heres another:
Question :'Whats another name for vegetarian?"
Answer : "Lousy Hunter."

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Now that people will be forced to turn vegetarian, they can finally see the benefits of it.

Benefits??? The human body needs MEAT to survive. A vegan will have to take all kinds of artificial supplements just to get even the basic nutritions and even supplements does not replace getting it from a natural source.

I am so sick and tired of brain washed vegetarians like you wanting to force people to go vegan.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

Benefits??? The human body needs MEAT to survive. A vegan will have to take all kinds of artificial supplements just to get even the basic nutritions and even supplements does not replace getting it from a natural source.

I am so sick and tired of brain washed vegetarians like you wanting to force people to go vegan.

Let me assure you that neither Confucius nor Pythagoras needed 'all kinds of artificial supplements' to live to the age of seventy (impressive at the time). Now look at Bill Clinton's improved health after vegan. How about Paul McCartney, who's still healthy at the age of 70?

You can point ast studies, but there are studies pointing to the opposite as well. Studies can be manipulated either way anyway. I prefer to look at real examples.
edit on 21/2/13 by diqiushiwojia because: (no reason given)

edit on 21/2/13 by diqiushiwojia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I am glad that we purchase most of our meat locally. We also raise some livestock (chickens, turkeys, pigs).

Sounds like we will have to do some butchering soon.

With prices the way they have been, the droughts, and now a possible meat shortage, I hope everyone is stocking up at least a bit.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by diqiushiwojia

You just can't wait can you?

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by lynxpilot

I've heard rats and squirrels aren't too bad if you use a lot of hot sauce.

don't know about rats, i would think they would be a lot like raccoon which my friend said was quite nasty, due mainly to being scavengers i think. squirrel on the other hand is awesome.
just make sure not to get them from areas where there are mainly pine, my gramps said if they eat mainly pine stuff they taste like turpentine.

i hear dog isn't too bad, but just don't expect any dog to like you for awhile afterwords, they apparently can smell it on you, growl and run away.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
You could always be vegetarian. It might improve your health some. I can go for weeks without meat, because it's costly and needs food safety precautions. It is a rare food where you have to wash your hands after you handle it for fear of getting sick from it.

I always thought in a meat crisis, since Americans are adverse to eating dog and cat, that rabbit meat would become a staple. They multiply quickly, they are small like chickens, and they have another product of rabbit fur. Reading around, it's leaner than chicken and rabbit farms produce six times as much meat as cows fed on the same amount of feed. I've never seen rabbit sold in a chain grocery store before, so it's impossible to say if it tastes good or not. Considering the health problems of obesity in younger people and heart problems in the older people, one would think that rabbit meat would nearly be a requirement for having your meat and your health at the same time. You'd think the fast food companies would be all over rabbit meat because of the health comparisons and the availability. So where are the meat racks in the stores that say: beef, pork, chicken, rabbit?

So I think this meat shortage applies to beef, mostly because of the drought that starved cow farmers from grass so they had to sell their cows early. Well, you could always put holes in the middle of your burger patties, to fool eaters that they're getting the same amount as before. Or make beef-rich patties, now with more mystery meat. Maybe add some vegetables to the meat, change the way you see your hot sandwiches.
edit on 21-2-2013 by Sandalphon because: is/are

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarKPenguiN So...Any good cat recipes?

Yes. Here are some links on making your cats homemade treats.

voices.yahoo.com...
www.natural-pet-essentials.com...
www.examiner.com...
www.petplace.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

Why do we need inspectors anyhow. Replace the inspectors with cameras and reduce the government spending by the amount that you would have spent on the inspectors.

In fact use the sequester to identify what government positions can be eliminated. Schools are top heavy keep the teachers and get rid of 60% of the administration.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea

Why do we need inspectors anyhow. Replace the inspectors with cameras and reduce the government spending by the amount that you would have spent on the inspectors.

In fact use the sequester to identify what government positions can be eliminated. Schools are top heavy keep the teachers and get rid of 60% of the administration.

I suggested the same thing, along with a whole bunch more unproductive agencies, but it wasn't popular for whatever reason.

I don't think people realize how the USDA and FDA and CDC and others are pawns of large agri-business and pharmaceuticals. People also don't realize that the absolute worst outbreaks of dangerous resistant-strain bacteria always show up in USDA-regulated facilites. The effects of support for large corporate food industry, by regulating small business farmers out of business, include concentrating food sources for large numbers of people and ensuring the most widespread effects of contamination.

If somebody wants to be vegan, more power to'em. We raise angus, sheep, and chickens and I will be content to know that my diet is healthy because I don't do anything to excess. Our bodies are 'hunter-gatherer', so we are by design omnivores. Whether or not vegan is more healthy, I don't know.

We are however being driven into food crises, whether sheeple want to believe it or not. Watch how they say the USDA is a necessary element to getting meat to people when in fact it is not necessary at all, nor is it beneficial.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I feel sorry for people who live in cities or who can't/don't know how to grow and preserve their own food. I rarely eat meat so I'm fairly unconcerned about a shortage of meat. I grow my own food and have chickens in the backyard, I'm not exactly in a large city, but I'm not 'country' either, we are in a small town in a place that has a very short growing season. The key is to stop relying on grocery stores for all your food.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
No shortage in my house. I hunt and fish every day. I still have 25 lbs of perch left over from last fall.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
Good. As a happy vegan I wish more people would try some rice and beans recipes, seasoned to perfection and brimming with nutrients, proteins and all the other good stuff. If meat and eggs and such were totally wiped off the shelves I'd never miss them. Ummmmmmm, quinoa.

Sorry but I HATE beans. Green beans are the only beans I can manage to eat (funny enough I absolutely love green beans). So, people like me would not get the protein needed.

I would literally starve because beans make me gag at the sight and smell, no joke.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea

www.wisegeek.com...

A meat inspector is a food safety professional who examines meat to be consumed by humans to guarantee their flesh and organs are free of disease, harmful bacteria and other contaminants. He examines animals prior to their slaughter to determine they are free of abnormalities, sickness or infection. He scrutinizes them subsequent to slaughter for the same maladies. Poultry and eggs are generally inspected separately and by different standards particular to the industry.

Along with checking the physical and sanitary conditions of the transporting vehicles and processing facilities, a meat inspector verifies the ingredients used in processing and preserving the meat.

I'm sure ALOT of things get by the inspector, but at least they prevent a 3 day dead animal from being slaughtered for sale to the public (we hope
)
edit on 21-2-2013 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917

The sequester -- slated for March 1, unless Congress finds a way to sidestep the start of $85 billion in mandated federal budget cuts -- would keep meat inspection personnel from going to work for as many as 15 days,

"And, most alarming, American consumers could face their first widespread shortage of meat, poultry, and egg products in generations."

money.msn.com...

Meat packers and processors cannot sell beef, pork, lamb and poultry meat without the USDA inspection seal. Inspection of meat for export or import also would stop during a furlough, said USDA. The industry has appealed to USDA to find ways to avoid a disruptive shutdown.

www.reuters.com...

(I think this applies only to the large processing plants and does not include the local small town processing plant where we buy directly from the farmers).

I can imagine that after 2 weeks of no inspections or shipments, the meat department in the grocery stores would be depleted. Then when the shipments resumed, as soon as meat were available it would be grabbed up immediately in the panic of it all. I think it would be quite some time before the shelves were restocked without hoarding. Not to mention the price increase.

This monetary "sequester" is such BS. $85billion runs the country for less than 8 days. They can't run the country with $85billion less? Something is terribly wrong.

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join