It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get ready for a meat shortage

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
You can stock up on canned white chicken and salmon. They are good for years.......I raise chickens too so....OH
Wait a minute, maybe I better go stock up on my bacon.....me luvs some bacon!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by fictitious

*chuckle*

That would work rural areas, but 80% of the population lives in cities, where hunting your own food isn't really an option. And since more than 80% of our GDP is earned in those cities, we won't be abandoning them (or the people in them) for a rural lifestyle.

We won't be feeding 350 million people with hunting rifles.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

Thanks for all the replies. I think those that live in the city better stock up a bit just in case...

Yes, we could live without meat. But some, like me, like a good steak now and then. And hamburger, and chicken, and bacon....

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s

*chuckle*

That would work rural areas, but 80% of the population lives in cities, where hunting your own food isn't really an option. And since more than 80% of our GDP is earned in those cities, we won't be abandoning them (or the people in them) for a rural lifestyle.

-Pretty much this.

My parents live in a rural area , on a lake and have said "we can fish/hunt if need be-"- While true, living within the range of a tank of gas means that if/when TSHTF those same "city folk" are going to be there as well trying to take care of their families also.

Personally I live in (and love) the City (Downtown area only...)- I have lived in the foothills of the Mountains in SE KY (hated it-) to Oklahoma (hated it) to Detroit (hated it)- But have experienced life in all types of settings. I can hunt (quite well) with a Bow or a Rifle- I can fish (quite well) with a pole or a spear... Could I feed a family of four through hunting and fishing? Yes. BUT if TSHTF and 8 million others are doing the same- IDK.

I think this is scare tactics but I do see a huge rise in food coming our way. Wife just got back from the grocery store - We do our shopping Monthly (just the two of us) and generally average around $650/month. Tonight she came back having spent around $700 and we have gotten FAR LESS than just last month. Not sure if this is locally only or not- But an increase has went into effect because we generally buy the exact same things each month- Put it this way, there is no Steak on the menu for Feb/march in our household unless someone hits the Lotto...And since you have to play it to win it- Looks like I am SOL.

edit on 20-2-2013 by DarKPenguiN because: clarity

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

*chuckle*

I've heard rats and squirrels aren't too bad if you use a lot of hot sauce.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by lynxpilot

*chuckle*

Here in my city we have a cat problem (oddly enough very little rodents and birds lol)

Seriously too- There are so many stray cats the damn humane society wants you to pay for them to take cats. Our neighbors moved and tried to give their cats to the humane society and they wanted $50 per cat- It goes without saying the cats ended up on the streets, at our door and now they are "my" cats....

So...Any good cat recipes?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

*chuckle*

I don't live in a rural area. I live in the fourth biggest city in the country. Three hours drive, five hours sitting in the cold, and a few nasty hours cleaning, and food is on the table. Most people have cars, most people are within three hours of a rural area. I think most people would just rather sit and watch tv. There was a point in time where everyone didn't feel entitled for the world to take care of them. People need to start taking care of theirselves and families and stop being so reliant. People wait three hours in line for a new phone that are on welfare.

Thinking needs to change and so do attitudes of entitlement. And mainly excuses.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthart

I would be careful of your statement as the more people hunting the less for your freezer. Let them figure it out when its bad times and you wont have that problem.Dont give em a chance to be skilled at what you are. I want everyone to make it, but it will be survival of the fittest and wittest soon, wait and see bro! Scary to think 100 people may be in my hunting area with hungry bellies and no safety standards.

Yes, you are completely correct. Teach a man to fish, and he exploits them. However, I do believe in helping people. No good deed goes unpunished. We create monsters out of good will.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

I think this is scare tactics but I do see a huge rise in food coming our way. Wife just got back from the grocery store - We do our shopping Monthly (just the two of us) and generally average around $650/month. Tonight she came back having spent around $700 and we have gotten FAR LESS than just last month. Not sure if this is locally only or not- But an increase has went into effect because we generally buy the exact same things each month- Put it this way, there is no Steak on the menu for Feb/march in our household unless someone hits the Lotto...And since you have to play it to win it- Looks like I am SOL.
reply to post by DarKPenguiN

What on earth are you buying for that much money? I think you and your wife need to reevaluate your shopping plans. It's just me and my husband, and we spend about $160/month on groceries. I cook most everything from scratch. Not many things come prepackaged. Tonight I made Chinese sweet and sour chicken. Three chicken breasts ($4), cup of flour (few cents), 2 eggs(30 cents), sauce made from 2 cups vinegar(few cents), 1 cup sugar (40 cents), few table spoons soy sauce (few cents), two squeezes of ketchup (few cents), dash of garlic salt. I also made two cups white rice (maybe 70 cents), and steamed four large carrots with ginger and butter (40 cents). I have left overs for tomorrow's dinner.

This took me only 40 minutes and couldn't have costed more than $7 total for two days of dinner. Stop paying for convenience...I'm assuming you are for that amount. Don't buy things prepackaged. Look at prices per ounce. Make things from scratch. Freeze extras. Feed your dogs potato peels and less dog food. If you like chips, buy a giant bag and separate them into small ziplock bags for lunch. Make your own fruit smoothies and don't get ice cream. Don't buy salsa...just make your own from canned tomatoes and spices. Cookies and cakes should be from scratch...it's only three more ingredients than the boxed versions. Mexican cassaroles are so easy. Add chicken, any veggies you have, onions, peppers, and cumin and chili powder. Freeze the left overs.

Buy bread when it's on sale. I usually buy six loaves and freeze five. Then take a new one out when we need it. Buy milk on sale and freeze it. Just pour a cup out before you freeze because it expands. You end up saving on gas money since you go to the store less for essentials.

Also, being a woman, many of us spend way too much on beauty products while we're grocery shopping. Don't let your wives buy body scrubs and miracle lotions. Save used coffee grounds from the coffee pot and use them as a body scrub in the shower. They melt cellulite, moisturize, give you a bit of a fake tan, and exfoliate. Don't get manicures, do them at home and invest in shellac nail polish and a nail light, dye your hair with black tea or henna, use olive oil for deep moisturizing, etc. Saving money and being all natural...how much better can it get? And stop spending money on cleaning supplies. I use vinegar, bleach, baking sods, or comet for everything.

Sorry to preach, but I just think that is absolutely insane! I do hope this isn't the norm for people to spend so much. Maybe I should write a money saving book because I'm so passionate about it. Rant over.

edit on 20-2-2013 by fictitious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

That's my point: We run into a political food shortage, and there won't be any TV. There won't be any googlebox. There will be 150 million gun toting idiots roaming the countryside looking for a deer, or even a large dog. I can fill my own freezer too, but 10,000 guys like me trying to do it at the same time in the same rural area would be FUBAR. I am not interested in watching 350 million people tear themselves apart over political side-shows, and that's exactly what this is. There is no shortage of money. It just doesn't trickle down anymore, and less money on main street = lower demand for goods and services = moar pain for US all.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

That's my point: We run into a political food shortage, and there won't be any TV. There won't be any googlebox. There will be 150 million gun toting idiots roaming the countryside looking for a deer, or even a large dog. I can fill my own freezer too, but 10,000 guys like me trying to do it at the same time in the same rural area would be FUBAR. I am not interested in watching 350 million people tear themselves apart over political side-shows, and that's exactly what this is. There is no shortage of money. It just doesn't trickle down anymore, and less money on main street = lower demand for goods and services = moar pain for US all.

Just because there is a shortage of meat doesn't necessarily mean that shtf. As much as we all love doom and gloom, the possibility that food prices rise and meat becomes scarce doesn't automatically mean that thousands of people bug out and start hunting. Most people will wait it out, tighten their budgets, and continue living. Most people won't go out of their way to stock up, and those are the same people who will first raid stores IF the shtf. They will be the ones stuck right in the middle of the chaos and not make it out. Yes, there will be the wise ones who do head for the hills, but most will be going to their own land or to a friend or family member's place.

I think if that time comes, people won't just be hunting pigs and deer. There are plenty squirrels to go around, pigs, deer, birds, possums, raccoons, etc. Once winter hits, most people won't make it. The people that do will have plenty food the following spring.

I think you are focused too much on everything happening all at once and going on for a really long time.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
All of this "Sequestor" talk is a political scare tactic. How many times will we fall for this? They sit there in DC saying the world is going to end, only to miraculously make a deal at the last minute to save us from ruin....ruin that would be caused by them I might add. And we give a huge sigh of relief that our saviors (dem or rep) were able to, somehow, make a deal.

Meat shortage, gas shortage, milk shortage, money shortage, etc, etc, etc, This political BS is really getting old and I for one am sick of it.

What I am seeing is that Federal workers would be furloughed. Meaning they'll work and be paid for 4 days which is basically a 20% pay cut for those workers.

Sorry folks, just not buying into the panic anymore.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Oh, this is just absolute, bull-puckey fear mongering from our politicians.

My hubby is a federal employee (engineer) facing furlough due to the sequestration. According to human resources (and he had plenty of meetings with HR since he's a supervisor), the government can only furlough an employee a certain number of days per pay period. I think my husband said 1 day per week (2 per pay period). So if anyone is thinking clearly, you'd have 20% furloughed on Monday, 20% on Tuesday, etc.

But THAT doesn't get headlines. Scary stories do. Eh, both parties are a complete and total loss.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
there is already going to be a meat price increase without this due to cattle shortages.

The government, always likes to scare people up until the last day, then they pull the rabbit out of the hat, the day is saved and we move to the next count down unitl XYZ happens.
edit on 20-2-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

It's a fake rabbit that they pull out of their hat though. They haven't fixed anything right. I don't think they can.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarKPenguiN

Originally posted by lynxpilot

*chuckle*

Here in my city we have a cat problem (oddly enough very little rodents and birds lol)

Seriously too- There are so many stray cats the damn humane society wants you to pay for them to take cats. Our neighbors moved and tried to give their cats to the humane society and they wanted $50 per cat- It goes without saying the cats ended up on the streets, at our door and now they are "my" cats....

So...Any good cat recipes?

edit on 20-2-2013 by lynxpilot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
By the title of the thread, you'd think women would be piling in by the truck loads calling this an exercise in fear mongering....

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
I have a plan in place. Visit local animal shelter and adopt all the cats. Noms.

OK.

That's the funniest thing I've read in I don't know how long.

Meanwhile... I have an entire 1/2 of a grassfed beef in my deep freeze. Backed up with solar power of course.
edit on 20-2-2013 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
There are ranchers that'll sell you beef while it is still on the hoof.

You get a butcher, a stand-alone freezer, and you'd have meat for a year!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Good. As a happy vegan I wish more people would try some rice and beans recipes, seasoned to perfection and brimming with nutrients, proteins and all the other good stuff. If meat and eggs and such were totally wiped off the shelves I'd never miss them. Ummmmmmm, quinoa.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
A so it continues (I would say begins, but it started a while ago)

***BEGIN MESSAGE FROM THE FUTURE***

WELCOME to our "Soylent Green World". Where due to a protien shortage, people can now obtain their daily allotment of protien from "Soylent Green".

"Soylent Green" will provide you with all the protie your family needs.

***END MESSAGE FROM THE FUTURE***

Don't believe me? Thats ok.

ATS: Have we become a "Soylent Green" World? That'll make ya' think.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join